1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Home Charging?

Discussion in 'Charging and Infrastructure' started by Dan Detweiler, Apr 8, 2016.

More threads by Dan Detweiler
  1. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canton, Georgia
    Hello Folks,

I am currently a Chevy Volt owner and have been for almost 4 years. I have been very pleased with the car as it has exceeded all the promises Chevy made regarding the vehicle. I have used the regular 110 outlet to charge my Volt as it has been more than adequate for my needs. However, I don't think that would be practical for an all electric vehicle.

Can you guys that have experience fill me in on what I would be looking at when it comes to a home install for faster home charging options on a Tesla? Looking at cost, efficiency, practicality, etc. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

• Like Like x 1
  2. teslaliving

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    You can get away with pretty much any electrical setup but a NEMA 14-50 outlet is the best option. Tesla has a guide for the electrician here:
    https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/downloads/US/universalmobileconnector_nema_14-50.pdf

The costs for installing that depend on your electrician, your panel, the location etc. Mine cost about $650 to install.

With that option you can fully charge the Model S85 in about 8 hours. Practically I drive about 100 miles a day so it charges in about 3 hours and I start every day with a full "tank". I have mine set to start charging at 2am and its easily done before I wake up every day.

3. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canton, Georgia
    One question regarding battery health. Since these cars have 3 or 4 days of range (for my daily driving) capacity, would it be better for the battery to let it drain down to say 25% or so over a few days and then charge it back up to say 90% or so...or...top it off each night?

Dan

4. teslaliving

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Tesla recommends plugging it in any time you're at a plug. So they do not recommend running it down then charging back up but recharging often.

When I go on a trip I let it sit at 50% charge, otherwise I plug in daily and charge (if any) overnight even if I didnt use much. Thats what they recommend and it works.

I've lost about 5% battery capacity over 2 years/60,000 miles. Thats expected and doesn't affect my use in any way. Some have seen that actually taper off a bit with additional miles/age.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. LUXMAN

Expand Collapse

Pilot
    City & State/Province:
    Texas
    Doesn't Tesla recommend only charging to 80% for daily use? and then have a Range option for when you need it, you turn it on? I have a 2015 Leaf now, and they only allow 100% charging unless you use the timer or unplug. I use to Lease a 2013 Leaf and it use to have an 80% setting.

6. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    Correct. Most owners charge to 80 or 90 perfect. 100% is not recommended on a regular basis.

7. teslaliving

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Tesla's "Daily" charge range is form 50% - 90%. You can see this in the UI for setting the charge limit:
    IMG_7027.jpg
    The upper end of the daily charge area is 90%, the lower end is 50%. You can't set the slider lower than 50%.

Most owners I know leave it set to the upper end of the daily range. Thats where mine has been for 2 years with it only moving when I need a few extra miles on a road trip.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Southern California, Most of the time...
    Country
    The Roadster's Standard Charge (Daily) is for 80%. One of the earliest FW updates for the Model S provided owners with the ability to charge between 50-90% for a Daily charge.

That's why you probably think 80%. (also, as you pointed out the older Leaf's had that setting as well, but different chemistry and BMS.)

9. Thalass

Expand Collapse

Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
    City & State/Province:
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm lucky enough to live 6km from work. So for me, using charge numbers on another Tesla forum that I can't remember at the moment, a regular 110v plug would be adequate to recharge my car every night. (about 4-5km per hour of charging)
    I also have a NEMA 6-15 plug in my garage that should be good for 14.5km per hour of charge.
    As far as I can tell I shouldn't have to use the supercharger that will be built in my town, except in an emergency I guess. Also my wife's parents will have one in their town that I might use but I should get there on one charge anyway. The main issue is whether the charge cable will reach outside, where the car will be parked.

10. Van Shrider

Expand Collapse

Flavor Chemist
    City & State/Province:
    Ohio USA
    I'm afraid that with a condo, I will not be able to put a charging solution inside my garage due to possible HOA issues, and the fact that there is shared liability.
    Second, my breaker box is in the middle of the second floor, 25-30 feet away. And the garage is on the first floor underneath the spare bedroom.

11. jim stack

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    chandler
    Battery life depends on 2 factors , not getting hot and try not to leave at 100% for a long time.
    Also REGEN braking doesn't work well with 100% charge.

So don't worry about charging too often and try to stay about 80% or less.
    It's always good to have it at 80% in case of extra unexpected errands. once a week could be low when you need it.

Just before a long trip charge to 100% and go for it if you need to. Battery life will be ok.

12. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Country
    We just did a few changes for the charging infrastructure at home this past weekend.

Considering how full some Superchargers have been currently (this was at Fountain Valley, CA at 1pm this afternoon.)

[​IMG]IMG_0492.JPG by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

If you have a home with a garage, I highly recommend that you go ahead and install your own NEMA 14-50, HPWC, or J1772 at home for your EV.

Here's how we charged.... over the years and prepare for the future and for visitors.

Hope it helps you figure out what to do for yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  13. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    I was planning to install one or two NEMA 14-50 outlets in my garage, but I'm going to hold off for a while. I have a feeling that Musk is going to announce a new solar roof/inverter/powerwall/charger system to be sold with the Model 3, that might be able to charge a car at close-to-supercharger rates. It'll probably be too expensive for me to jump, but I'm going to hold off until I hear what he has in mind.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    My wife has been talking about getting an EV when her car needs to be replace. Given she doesn't drive that much that might be for a while but I was thinking of putting in a NEMA 14-50 inside our single-car garage and still installing the Tesla HPWC outside (our Model 3 will live outdoors) to charge the car. That way she can charge inside.

15. BigBri

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Country
    I'll be using a standard outlet. I was going to fight with my condoboard a bit and hopefully win and get the ability to install a charger outside but it's not worth the headache when I've got a supercharger within about 3 minutes of me. Plus 95% of my driving will just be short range stuff and if we're doing some longer range swing by the supercharger before hitting the highway.

The one thing holding me back from the outside charger is I'd probably need to upgrade my electrical panel to a 200 amp. I've got an early 90s 120 amp service.

16. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Country
    I live 10 miles from the supercharger in the photo that I took yesterday afternoon for the blogpost. Granted this is in Southern California in what is one of the busiest urban superchargers, but that is not an unusual sight. I didn't even count those that drove up and gave up.

120V works fine 3-4 miles per hour on the average. One of my Twitter friends is in a similar (condo) situation and has been on 120V on his Volt and Model S for five years and the condo finally installed Level 2.

We don't get the weather that you will get in ON, but there are now more choices for external NEMA 14-50 enclosures, the ones we chose had to be modified to let the UMC plug in (Roadster one is HUGE and the Model S ones were OK)

17. BigBri

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Country
    Yeah thats just it at around 3-4 miles an hour I could atleast get to the SC in a worst case scenario. My area is kinda weird in that we're in townhomes but there is a condoboard so technically they 'lease' me the outside at cost so I'd have to run past them any electrical work that'd be attached to the brick outside. We're pretty fortunate here in Ontario with EV incentives and all sorts of chargers going in.

18. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Country
    Just remember that SC will have an added cost and the time involved in waiting for a SC when they start to get full...

One of the biggest benefits of EVs is rolling out with a full tank everyday and it's unfortunate that you have the challenges at your complex.

19. BigBri

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Country
    Lucky for me I'll be 100% self employed in a week so there won't be a daily commute. Probably leaving it plugged in to the 120 will work 95% of the time. Kingston does only have 5 SC stalls.. kinda hoping they expand ti a bit.

20. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Country
    Don't forget daily vampire losses. If you're only gaining 3-4 miles an hour overnight and the car loses 6-7 hours a day, you need it plugged in for at least 2 hours to fight those losses.