HOV lane stickers and ideas to protect paint

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Hey all, so we just got our white HOV lane stickers (California) and I created this thread for those of us who may need to stick something unsightly on our cars for practicality's sake.

Part of me is like "just stick them on and enjoy the fast lane!" but another part is chafing at the idea of marring the 3's rear end with anything, so I'm mulling over how to best place them without damaging paint (putting over Xpel or custom cut-outs etc.). I've seen some ideas on the interwebz but haven't decided on anything yet, so if you have any advice or experience with this to share it's much appreciated!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey all, so we just got our white HOV lane stickers (California) and I created this thread for those of us who may need to stick something unsightly on our cars for practicality's sake.

Part of me is like "just stick them on and enjoy the fast lane!" but another part is chafing at the idea of marring the 3's rear end with anything, so I'm mulling over how to best place them without damaging paint (putting over Xpel or custom cut-outs etc.). I've seen some ideas on the interwebz but haven't decided on anything yet, so if you have any advice or experience with this to share it's much appreciated!
Any specific rules on placement that you must abide by?

Ken Voss

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a Prius Plug in and have been using California HOV stickers for years, they are priceless when you fly by rush hour traffic in the HOV lane with no additional passengers in your car and when you use the express lane for free. When I get my M3 (hopefully in the next few months). I have no hesitation about applying them, Here is what I can tell you, they can be removed without damaging the paint by using with some goo gone and elbow geese, its not easy but can absolutely be done safely, I have done it. I am really not concerned with applying the stickers.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I have a Prius Plug in and have been using California HOV stickers for years, they are priceless when you fly by rush hour traffic in the HOV lane with no additional passengers in your car and when you use the express lane for free. When I get my M3 (hopefully in the next few months). I have no hesitation about applying them, Here is what I can tell you, they can be removed without damaging the paint by using with some goo gone and elbow geese, its not easy but can absolutely be done safely, I have done it. I am really not concerned with applying the stickers.
That's good to know, thanks for the info @Ken! That alleviates some of my paint concerns at least. Now if CA could just make stickers that weren't so big and ugly... :D I'd love an EV-specific plate like Norway.

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oh yes I would take the traffic :(
I'm not thrilled about the [redacted] stickers, but I'd put on a [redacted] sticker that says "THE DRIVER SMELLS [redacted]" if it meant spending less time in [redacted] bay area traffic.

That said, I will be sticking on custom-cut Xpel and then affixing the stickers to that. I've seen how hard those things are to remove once they expire.

[moderator edits: we do attempt to keep the forum family-friendly. Please keep that in mind when posting]

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandy

One obsession to the next
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's good to know, thanks for the info @Ken! That alleviates some of my paint concerns at least. Now if CA could just make stickers that weren't so big and ugly... :D I'd love an EV-specific plate like Norway.
Canada as well has ‘green’ plates for EV’s. The normal blue lettering on white is replaced with green lettering on white. They start with GV** *** so no vanity plates. HOV with one occupant.

Robert Pickel

Country
Country
Can't believe that California, of all states, has such an ugly sticker system for this purpose. Special plates? A more aesthetically pleasing sticker? Hell, it's a Tesla; why even need a sticker? How could it not be eligible for EV driving preferences???

Zippo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Buy some 3M vinyl on ebay/amazon. Place sticker on vinyl and cut around sticker. Install new vinyl sticker on paint. It will be easier to remove in the future.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Buy some 3M vinyl on ebay/amazon. Place sticker on vinyl and cut around sticker. Install new vinyl sticker on paint. It will be easier to remove in the future.
Also easier for a nefarious person to remove the sticker, so be careful where you park if you do this.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also easier for a nefarious person to remove the sticker, so be careful where you park if you do this.
They could come up with a way to apply the sticker to drive in the HOV lane and remove when parked. Probably annoying, but something I would attempt.

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They could come up with a way to apply the sticker to drive in the HOV lane and remove when parked. Probably annoying, but something I would attempt.
Maybe a static cling sticker? Probably too much effort to take off and put back on all the time though given that we require several of them.

Shame the [people] that run this state didn't just opt for special license plates instead of the stickers.

[moderator edit: be nice please]

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

How do you apply for CA HOV stickers