How are the 18" Aero Covers Installed/Removed?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Finally! A video appears!
Spoiler: held on by friction - you just pull it off.

Few thoughts on that...

1. The guy probably scratched his rims trying to put them back on one handed :(
  2. They look very cheap!!!
  3. Good thing they come off easily, I foresee everyone who gets then removing them and only putting them back on for long distance travel.

Mad Hungarian

Resident M3OC Wheel/Tire Guru
Country
Country
Finally! A video appears!
Spoiler: held on by friction - you just pull it off.

Well whaddya know, Occam's razor at work :).
One thing I noticed in the vid is that the circular spring that tensions the center cap portion was dislocated when he removed the cover. This needs to be checked when you take them off so you don't lose them, and repositioned correctly in the center cap's tabs prior to re-installing.

BobLoblaw

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My official vote is to replace the words "aero covers" with...

Hubcaps. They may be aerodynamic, and they may be covers...but those suckers are hubcaps, with the requisite spring-clip attachments and everything. I could handle the look of them if they were wheels. But they aren't. They are hubcaps. On a Tesla. Hubcaps.

Any bets that they disappear as quickly as the aero wheels did on the S back in the day?

PS: Hubcaps

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Country
Country

Hubcaps. They may be aerodynamic, and they may be covers...but those suckers are hubcaps, with the requisite spring-clip attachments and everything. I could handle the look of them if they were wheels. But they aren't. They are hubcaps. On a Tesla. Hubcaps.

Any bets that they disappear as quickly as the aero wheels did on the S back in the day?

<pedant mode>
I would also vote to replace the word "Rims" with the correct term "Wheels"
a rim is one part of a wheel (normally the outer part), not the whole thing.
So technically the cover is clipped to the spokes, not the rims.
</pedant mode>
:)

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
These are going to be *much* more popular than the old S aero wheels, for a few reasons
  • They're the default wheel. The S Aeros were an upcharge upgrade.
  • They look better than the old S Aeros.
  • They can be removed, and the wheel underneath is decent-looking. Two looks for the price of one!

Last edited:

skygraff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well whaddya know, Occam's razor at work :).
One thing I noticed in the vid is that the circular spring that tensions the center cap portion was dislocated when he removed the cover. This needs to be checked when you take them off so you don't lose them, and repositioned correctly in the center cap's tabs prior to re-installing.
Noticed that.

Does it almost look like the center cap and clip may actually be removable and possibly go in by itself? I wonder if it's the same one they sell separately?

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

The technical term is wheel covers.
The hub is just the center of a wheel, so technically a hub cap is just the tesla logo center cap.
Alternately, hub caps traditionally have the connotation of metal wheel covers, common in the 70s, and would fly off and behead you. Still, the shiny metal hub caps sure looked a lot nicer than the silver plastic ones that are all over the place now.

Anyway, use wheel cover and center cap to reduce confusion.

BobLoblaw

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The technical term is wheel covers.
The hub is just the center of a wheel, so technically a hub cap is just the tesla logo center cap.
Alternately, hub caps traditionally have the connotation of metal wheel covers, common in the 70s, and would fly off and behead you. Still, the shiny metal hub caps sure looked a lot nicer than the silver plastic ones that are all over the place now.

Anyway, use wheel cover and center cap to reduce confusion.
Walks like a duck, swims like a duck, quacks like a duck...

It's a duck (actually a hubcap).

BobLoblaw

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
These are going to be *much* more popular than the old S aero wheels, for a few reasons
  • They're the default wheel. The S Aeros were a upcharge upgrade.
  • They look better than the old S Aeros.
  • They can be removed, and the wheel underneath is decent-looking.
Ya, thinking about it I agree actually. Hopefully they include (or offer for not too much $$$) lug-nut covers and center caps for those who would rather leave the hubcaps off.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
The only removal I want to ensure I handle right is the removal of the 18'' base from my order... :
I get the range thing yet I still feel like hubcaps (or wheel covers) that look this ugly don't have a place on such a beautiful car. The design could have been more intriguing, and should have been very full alloy wheel choice only... maybe a full wheel with three times ≡, at 12, 4 pm and 8 pm for instance... ;)