How long do people typically have to wait for software updates?

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 10th and still qualify for the $7500 US federal tax credit until December 31 for orders placed before November 30 as all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The update that included summon and cabin overheating protection came out weeks ago but I still haven't gotten it. I know that they do updates in batches but going weeks without an update is pretty frustrating. I've heard of people waiting monmon... Really hoping Elon fulfills his promise to allow us to request an update soon.

What are y'all's experiences?

John

Tech Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The update that included summon and cabin overheating protection came out weeks ago but I still haven't gotten it. I know that they do updates in batches but going weeks without an update is pretty frustrating. I've heard of people waiting monmon... Really hoping Elon fulfills his promise to allow us to request an update soon.

It varies, and when some releases start rolling out they find a bug, and you never get that version. The most recent 2018.24.1 was like that for me. Only about 20% of Model 3s got that version before they switched to 2018.24.7. So no big loss.

I know this because I subscribe to Teslafi for $5 a month, so I can watch as updates come out and roll out to other Teslafi members.

You should make a friend with your local Mobile Service Advisor. I emailed mine Tuesday and requested a push. Within the hour she replied thusly:

"I have just deployed firmware to your Model 3. Please let me know if that was successful and if there is anything else I can do for you. Thank you."

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country

As much as I want the latest and greatest, I'm more than willing for someone else to test it out so it can be improved before I get it.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It can take up to “a couple of months” for a software update to go fleetwide per my service advisor.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A good thing for everyone but those of us that like to live on the bleeding edge...wish I could get on Elon's release fork!

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I truly like the SW releases vetted, but inside have to wish they did roll a little faster. I get needing to get the bugs worked out.

21.9 is the only release I've had so far, and I'm thinking that had the brake update in it, so I think Tesla pushed that one harder and faster because it was a big public issue. Still hoping to get some Summon love soon.

I don't subscribe to Teslafi, but they make their update page available to everyone, I've started watching it and posting results some.

S and X started getting a new 26. release yesterday, but no 3's. And no S or X has received 24.7, but it is still rolling SLOW.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It varies, and when some releases start rolling out they find a bug, and you never get that version. The most recent 2018.24.1 was like that for me. Only about 20% of Model 3s got that version before they switched to 2018.24.7. So no big loss.

I know this because I subscribe to Teslafi for $5 a month, so I can watch as updates come out and roll out to other Teslafi members.

You should make a friend with your local Mobile Service Advisor. I emailed mine Tuesday and requested a push. Within the hour she replied thusly:

"I have just deployed firmware to your Model 3. Please let me know if that was successful and if there is anything else I can do for you. Thank you."
I thought that you have to take the car into the service center to get an update. A mobile service rep can push it wirelessly?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It was delivered with 14.7 or something like that. I never got 14.13, but when 18.1 rolled out I got it the second day (with the hidden cabin overheat menu), and then got 18.2 and 18.3 immediately as they were available.

Got my windshield replaced, they had the car about two weeks and it came home around June 8 with 21.9, which was newly released at the time. I thought I was in the early group for updates, but not a peep has been heard from the week 24 series. I'm still on 21.9. I just want access to the A/C overheat option since I charge for free at work all day.

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is there a "waiting period" after taking delivery of a new vehicle before it will start to receive updates?

I took delivery on 7/13. I am still at 18.14, whereas according to TeslaFi most of the fleet is at least at 21.9 by now. Just wondering if this is to be expected, or is there a setting to enable updates that I need to set?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is there a "waiting period" after taking delivery of a new vehicle before it will start to receive updates?

I took delivery on 7/13. I am still at 18.14, whereas according to TeslaFi most of the fleet is at least at 21.9 by now. Just wondering if this is to be expected, or is there a setting to enable updates that I need to set?
As it was explained to me, updates can take upward of “a few months” to reach the entire fleet. There is seemingly no rhyme or reason to who gets it and when (or at least nothing we can discern).

There are 2 ways (maybe 3) to get updates...

1) Patience and just wait for it
2) Have service work performed
3) Rumor is connecting to Tesla WiFi may push things along

aquadoggie

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I took delivery in March and got at least 3 updates within the first couple of months or so, up to 18.3. I've been stuck on that ever since. The rep at I got when I called basically told me to pound sand and wait. I really want the cabin overheat protection, given that it's a high of 104 in Austin today...

AnthonyR

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi, can some one please help me figure out how to turn auto updates off??
When I set up my 3 I turned it on thinking updates would happen automatically, but now I would like to actually see when they arrive so that I know a new update is to be installed.

Sparky4life

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My 3 had 24.9 installed when I picked it up yesterday. This morning it updated to 24.11 despite the fact that 26.3 is available. Why didn't it go to the latest release instead of an old one? Does every update need to be installed in order?

Sparky4life

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Lots of us (including myself) are still on 21.9.

I don't think anyone really knows how they roll out the new software to cars.
But have you ever been updated to a version that wasn't the latest at the time? That's the part that seems strange to me.

littlD

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My 3 had 24.9 installed when I picked it up yesterday. This morning it updated to 24.11 despite the fact that 26.3 is available. Why didn't it go to the latest release instead of an old one? Does every update need to be installed in order?
No need for "in order".

There have been some reports of people failing update with 26.X, so maybe that's the reason. Hard to say.

I have heard there's a Battery Management firmware update happening as well, so maybe they're dependent on each other

https://model3ownersclub.com/thread...-26-1-62e5afa-7-20-18.7786/page-8#post-128220

Technical48

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's my firmware history thus far:
  • Delivery on 7/14 with 24.7
  • Upgraded to 26.1 on 7/25
  • Upgrade (to 26.3?) scheduled for tonight

Last edited: