How to have a Powerwall 2 installed in ZIP SolarCity doesn't cover

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code

DXF

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I have a current 18kW solar install, that has been operating since May (installed March but took a couple months for grid operator to sign off). It isn't a SolarCity install as my ZIP code wasn't in their coverage yet at the time. They do sell in the same metro area, just not out this far.

The company that I ended up going with for the solar had extremely poor options for batteries, so I didn't have them install any. I am still interested in having battery back-up. We're in hurricane territory and would like that option and the ability to live, at a reduced usage, off grid. Based on several weeks' production and consumption data it looks like three Powerwall 2 would get it done. Unfortunately SolarCity still hasn't brought our ZIP in and even asking the staff specializing in SolarCity stuff at the local Tesla gallery how I'd be able to get a Powerwall 2 brought shrugs.

How do I go about getting a Powerwall 2 installed outside SolarCity's current sales area?

P.S. As a side question, is there anyone in the North America market that's even close to Tesla Powerwall 2 on price/performance?

DXF

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Have some supporting background as computer engineer/[apprentice] electrician/farmer so sure a wild DIY projection would be something of fit for me. However I'm also married sooooooo I was hoping to avoid having to make that pitch. ;)

Maybe I need to read up a little more on that potential. How much a PITA it is for permitting and engineering to connect into the house power.

Would definitely need inverters of some sort.....but maybe I could just use that for car only, and keep it all DC? That could potentially save a lot of money hooking up panels dedicated to that subsystem. Downside there is that it wouldn't provide backup power for the house, and it'd be fidgety as I'd have two places to plug in the cars.

Last edited: