HVAC - Anyone have details about dashboard vents?

GaryNLA

I live in Southern California, so air conditioning is vital to the comfort of me and my passengers. I was a bit alarmed by discussions of air vents or lack thereof in the Tesla 3 dashboard. If there's no cool air blowing in my face on hot days, I'm an unhappy driver. Anyone have more info?

TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
No details yet other than what Doug Field mentioned in one of the test drives. The dash has slots instead of the usual vents. I take it there will be some form of directional control for front facing vents but we will have to wait and see. I don't think we'll get any more details until next year when the final production cars are revealed and media test drives will happen.

With the roof being nearly all glass I'd have to believe maintaining a comfortable driving environment would be paramount.

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I live in Southern California, so air conditioning is vital to the comfort of me and my passengers. I was a bit alarmed by discussions of air vents or lack thereof in the Tesla 3 dashboard. If there's no cool air blowing in my face on hot days, I'm an unhappy driver. Anyone have more info?

GaryNLA,

All I've gleaned so far is what Elon covered in the Presentation during his Reveal/Press Coverage. Of course this could all change but he did specify the vents would NOT be conventional vents as seen on most vehicles today but two lower rear facing vents I assume below the dash in front of the driver and passenger. It shows the aforementioned two vents.
Here are the CAD's firm his Reveal Speech:

Well it says upload file is too large.
TrevP maybe you can help me out.
I can email them to you and you can resize?
I just pulled them from the Reveal Vid via Screenshot.

Ski

TrevP

Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
GaryNLA,

All I've gleaned so far is what Elon covered in the Presentation during his Reveal/Press Coverage. Of course this could all change but he did specify the vents would NOT be conventional vents as seen on most vehicles today but two lower rear facing vents I assume below the dash in front of the driver and passenger. It shows the aforementioned two vents.
Here are the CAD's firm his Reveal Speech:

Well it says upload file is too large.
TrevP maybe you can help me out.
I can email them to you and you can resize?
I just pulled them from the Reveal Vid via Screenshot.

Ski
I just increased the file upload size to 4Mb. Does that help?

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
image.png image.png image.png
So the two Black Horizontals are the current Climate Control Vents according to Elon.
It appears they'll come out from below the existing Dash.

Thanks Trev!

Ski

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not sure that and a little vent in the center console in the rear will be enough to cool a glass roofed car in the Desert or where I live in TEXAS. I'm considering the Metal Roof option or LIMO black tint else the AC won't keep up and I'll stick to the seats!

TrevP

Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I wouldn't hang my hat on those vents quite yet. All cars have vents facing down into foot wells. We just haven't seen the upper slots in the new dash yet.

TrevP

Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Turn the bio defense mode on! ;)
Funny you mention that. There's a detail that's come to light that indicates this will come to the Model 3. The HEPA filter will be optional just like Model S but I believe it to be a tentpole feature for Tesla and Model 3 won't miss out on it....

GaryNLA

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
If this is true and there are no directional vents, I'll be canceling my order. I live in SoCal and I need cold air blowing in my face on hot days. Without that ability, it's a non-starter.
@GaryNLA , if I may, being in SoCal, you will also have a great advantage over most of us... you'll be able to touch & feel the car mucho sooner... This way, you'll get a first hand experience on the amount of cold air you actually do get on your face... :)
Then you can take the best decision for you as to whether or not to morph your reservation into a true order... :cool::rainbow:;)

MichelT3

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
If this is true and there are no directional vents, I'll be canceling my order. I live in SoCal and I need cold air blowing in my face on hot days. Without that ability, it's a non-starter.
You needn't worry. Of course it will have a good ventilation system. It would be hugely stupid if it hadn't.

What really wonders me is how easily you (and others) threaten to cancel their order. Without knowing how the car finally will look like.

Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
Country
Country
Take the scenic route using PCH or similar roads, where a cool breeze is always available from the nearby and conveniently located ocean and roll the windows down or open the sunroof. Works for me.

Of course, I consider anything under an ambient 75° Fahrenheit to be 'cold'... And I am perfectly comfortable up to around 120° Fahrenheit. What do you consider 'hot'...?