I’m sick of Apple!

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok I’m sorry, but time to rant...

I loved my previous MacBook Pro but it died a premature death shy of 2 years, but of course out of warranty (had a few days of AMEX extended warranty) and too expensive to repair (only to have it break again when Apple couldn’t figure out what was truly wrong with it).

So 8 months ago I buy the shiny new toy, the MacBook Pro with Touchbar. Let me tell you, this is literally the worst computer ever. Battery life is a joke, touchbar is annoying, and 4 USB-C ports with nothing else is enough to drive you insane.

Whatever, this all sounds like first world problems... that is until my computer just turned itself off and decided not to turn itself back on. Apple Support couldn’t help over the phone and now I have an appointment at the Genius Bar in a few hours.

I’m at a loss for what to do, but Apple rules my life with the computer, phone, iPad, music, photos, iCloud, etc.

This is just not good!

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had the MacBookPro with Touch Bar since 2015 (and a second one now at work) and I LOVE it!
The thunderbolt ports are my favorite feature, it works with everything.
Love the Touch Bar for quick yet precise volume adjustments.
The only real issue is the keyboard, which I love when it works, but a single grain of sand brings it to its knees.
:D
Anyway I'm happy to suggest some advice if you share some details of what happened.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had the MacBookPro with Touch Bar since 2015 (and a second one now at work) and I LOVE it!
The thunderbolt ports are my favorite feature, it works with everything.
Love the Touch Bar for quick yet precise volume adjustments.
The only real issue is the keyboard, which I love when it works, but a single grain of sand brings it to its knees.
Anyway I'm happy to suggest some advice if you share some details of what happened.
The computer literally turned off while I was in the middle of using it and won’t turn back on. With Apple Support we tried resetting SMC and a few other things none of which worked.

I’m curious what they’ll do when I bring it in.

I detest the Touch Bar though and regret getting it and the battery life is miserable because of the screen. They sell you on this great screen, but if you “use it” the battery dies fast so you end up with a great screen that you intentionally dim for the batter to hold up.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The 500 nit screen is blinding, I can't imagine using any brightness above half in any indoor environment. Do you work outside in the sun? How nice! (Oh, Florida, maybe not)

I'm curious if it got unexpectedly warm after it crashed. I've had a bad 3rd party USB-C charger kill mine a few times, and slowly came back to life after using the Apple charger.

If they walked you through usual hold down power button and SMC reset then I'm not sure what else besides trying a different charger *and a different cable* Again, I've seen several cheap USB-C cables that caused charging issues.

You have a genius appointment so hopefully they will take care of you. It's well within warranty and they usually will still cover things a few months afterwards. If they can't revive it there, turn around time is usually only about 4 days.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The 500 nit screen is blinding, I can't imagine using any brightness above half in any indoor environment. Do you work outside in the sun? How nice! (Oh, Florida, maybe not)

I'm curious if it got unexpectedly warm after it crashed. I've had a bad 3rd party USB-C charger kill mine a few times, and slowly came back to life after using the Apple charger.

If they walked you through usual hold down power button and SMC reset then I'm not sure what else besides trying a different charger *and a different cable* Again, I've seen several cheap USB-C cables that caused charging issues.

You have a genius appointment so hopefully they will take care of you. It's well within warranty and they usually will still cover things a few months afterwards. If they can't revive it there, turn around time is usually only about 4 days.
We shall see — as for peripherals I always use Apple’s overpriced cables (for the win?) :(

Maybe it’s just my eyes, but I hate this screen if the brightness isn’t near maxed out.

4 days — I really hope not!

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It sounds like you're pretty invested in the Apple ecosystem at this point, so you should probably stick with it.

But for people who mostly use a web browser, I strongly suggest getting a Chromebook. They are pretty awesome nowadays. They only take 1-2 seconds to turn-on & resume, so it's great when you want to check something quickly. There's very little that they cannot do nowadays, with many apps & utilities being web-based. You can often find Chromebooks with 4GB ram for around $100. That's plenty of RAM for most users.

They're especially great for those relatives who call you for their tech support. ;) It's pretty hard for them to screw things up or install viruses.

For $100-$150, I think it's worth getting one for day-to-day use, and then keeping the Apple/Windows laptop for those times when you need to run some non-web application.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Alright Apple made good we can close out today’s rant.

I brought it in and got the dreaded “we have to ship it out and it will take 3-5 days spiel”. I said I depend on the computer for work and can’t be without it. She asked if I had a credit card and I said of course. She said well we have a 14 day return policy with no restocking fees.

So there you go. Brand new in box loaner ;)

Spiffywerks

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wife uses a Macbook Air 12" from like 2008. Can't update it anymore but she only uses it for web browsing and watching Youtube videos. Battery life is insane on it.

Wanted to get her a one but Apple wants soooooo much for them still with 3+ year old hardware inside. (Although they are super simple, thin, light, and built rock solid.) I've been trying to find something equivalent in the same small form factor. Any suggestions? Seems hard to find something as light and thin.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
she only uses it for web browsing and watching Youtube videos. Battery life is insane on it.
Chromebooks can do those things, and tend to have insane battery life. And the instant turn-on is very nice and easily spoils you for other laptops.
I've been trying to find something equivalent in the same small form factor. Any suggestions?
Chromebook.
Seems hard to find something as light and thin.
Chromebook.

Seriously, pick one up for $100-$200. If all she uses is a web browser, it'll be worth it.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Chromebooks can do those things, and tend to have insane battery life. And the instant turn-on is very nice and easily spoils you for other laptops.Chromebook.Chromebook.

Seriously, pick one up for $100-$200. If all she uses is a web browser, it'll be worth it.
Look at @garsh shorting Apple and longing Chromebook. :p
Chromebooks. Chromebook.Chromebook
CHROMEBOOK!

Edit: CHROMEBOOK!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok I’m sorry, but time to rant...

I loved my previous MacBook Pro but it died a premature death shy of 2 years, but of course out of warranty (had a few days of AMEX extended warranty) and too expensive to repair (only to have it break again when Apple couldn’t figure out what was truly wrong with it).

So 8 months ago I buy the shiny new toy, the MacBook Pro with Touchbar. Let me tell you, this is literally the worst computer ever. Battery life is a joke, touchbar is annoying, and 4 USB-C ports with nothing else is enough to drive you insane.

Whatever, this all sounds like first world problems... that is until my computer just turned itself off and decided not to turn itself back on. Apple Support couldn’t help over the phone and now I have an appointment at the Genius Bar in a few hours.

I’m at a loss for what to do, but Apple rules my life with the computer, phone, iPad, music, photos, iCloud, etc.

This is just not good!
I have been using a 2011 MBA without a single issue since 2011 (;)) and prior to that was using a 2007 MPB with the only issue being a graphics chip Apple replaced free of charge outside of warranty and giving it a new battery. So in my 11 years of mac laptop usage, I'd say they have been excellent and well it.
in contrast, my work top of the line Dell laptop I've had for 6 months has had more issues.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have been using a 2011 MBA without a single issue since 2011 (;)) and prior to that was using a 2007 MPB with the only issue being a graphics chip Apple replaced free of charge outside of warranty and giving it a new battery. So in my 11 years of mac laptop usage, I'd say they have been excellent and well it.
in contrast, my work top of the line Dell laptop I've had for 6 months has had more issues.
I think it's fair to say they don't make them like they used to!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Following up as I got my computer back over the weekend and it’s a good/bad ending.

Good ending — my computer is back, in perfect condition, and in fact better than ever.

Bad ending — it confirms my suspicion that they don’t make them like they used to. Either that or I had bad luck. My RAM was definitely “bad” from day 1 and I just lived with it. They basically replaced everything and my computer is now better than the day I got it.

All is right in the Apple universe.... for now.... :cool:

Last edited:

Spiffywerks

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Been trying to import 21,000 pictures from wife iPhone throught MacBook Air to a 2 tb drive with her iPhoto database. Left it all night, still stuck on “preparing import”.

I think I’ll just rip these photos off the phone using a Windows PC. Microsoft for the save. XD

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Been trying to import 21,000 pictures from wife iPhone throught MacBook Air to a 2 tb drive with her iPhoto database. Left it all night, still stuck on “preparing import”.

I think I’ll just rip these photos off the phone using a Windows PC. Microsoft for the save. XD
Does she not use iCloud to sync?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nope. iCloud always pestering about it too. But would need to pay for iCloud service. Would have to go with $10/mo plan. Seems a waste when I have so many hard drives around.
I have 22,753 photos in iCloud and that takes up 88.7 GB of my 200 GB iCloud plan ($2.99/month). I am closing in on needing the 2TB plan though.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well the new MacBooks have silicone under their keys so they no longer get brought to their knees by a spec of dirt. Unfortunately it doesn't sounds apple will be fixing the last two years' MacBooks with the new design.
Then again, it's about time they tweak the whole case toward something bezel less. I will probably upgrade when they do (next year?).

iCloud storage prices really tick me off. I pay the 2.99, which is much more than others, but really that they only give a completely useless 5GB for free. I waste so much time supporting others like my parents because they can't even complete a backup, and a phone or iPad upgrade is a complete PITA because it can't just restore from iCloud backup.

It boggles my mind that it's 2018 and you still need a derivative of SoundJam installed just to upgrade to a new iPhone!