1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

ICE range anxiety

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Fun_for_the_grandkids, May 15, 2017.

More threads by Fun_for_the_grandkids
  1. Fun_for_the_grandkids

Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canberra, ACT
    Country
    #1 Fun_for_the_grandkids, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
    In the 1970s I drove a Range Rover extensively in remote parts of Afghanistan. On such trips I carried as standard two spare wheels, two jerry cans of petrol and a small trunk of spare parts. Several times both spare tyres were needed. Arriving in Kamdesh, an 8 hours unpaved drive from the nearest gas station and literally the end of the road (further travel into the Hindu Kush was by foot, donkey or camel) my 8 yr old son discovered the petrol tank was leaking. When ferrying a creek the tank guard had scooped up some small stones which had worn a hole in the tank.
    This brought on several acute attacks of 'range anxiety'; my parents, wife and I were all concerned as we did not know if we would have sufficient fuel to return. The sun was setting and I was exhausted after 8 hours of difficult driving so I rigged a temporary fix. The next morning every male in the village gathered around the car offering solutions to my dilemma. Resin from a nearby pine tree was too crumbly. Eventually someone was dispatched to find some scissors and someone else volunteered some hair. Someone else arrived with a handful of raisins. The mashed raisins and hair provided the perfect patch. The tank guard was refitted and we nervously continued our journey. We made it to the gas station with just a few miles left in the tank.
    I forgot about my makeshift patch - it worked perfectly - until preparing to drive back to England from Kabul. I consulted a German mechanic friend with the intent of having the tank welded. His advise was "Don't worry - that patch will hold. You don't need to do anything".
    The coordinates of Kamdesh for Google Earth are 35⁰25′N 71⁰20′E. Osama bin Larden is reputed to have been holed up in this part of Nuristan prior to moving to Pakistan.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Fun_for_the_grandkids

Supporting Member
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Canberra, ACT
      Country
      The Norwegians have a National Transport Plan (NTP). The aim is that ALL new cars from 2025 are zero emission vehicles.
      Already 40% of new registrations are EVs and soon the stock of ICE vehicles will start declining. By the early 2020s gas stations will also be in decline.

This led me to a perverse thought: at what stage will ICE drivers visiting Norway start suffering range anxiety due to a lack of gas stations?

How long do we have to wait until the range anxiety table is turned? ;);)

• Like Like x 3
      • Love it! Love it! x 2