Idea: iOS 12 Shortcuts Integration with Tesla App

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 10th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

iChris93

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have not setup any Siri Shortcuts in iOS 12 yet but I think it would be really neat if you could say, for example, "I'm leaving work", and the following would happen:
  1. The car turns on the climate control to either cool or heat to set temperature.
  2. The phone communicates with the Nest App to end "ECO" and turn on the climate control in my house to either cool or heat to set temperature.
  3. The car has home already set in the navigation.
What other ideas do you have?

Edit: I don't think the Tesla app or Nest app currently support shortcuts but hope support comes.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Remote S has some of these ready to roll
I see they have
start climate control
stop climate control
activate trunk
activate frunk
enable keyless start

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do they have one to unlock the charge port. Would love to unlock it while I walk up to the car. Currently wait for the app to load as I walk up

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone updated to iOS 12? Is it working with Tesla app version 3.5? I did not see notes in 3.5 that mention iOS 12 compatibility. Not ready to jump on iOS 12 yet...fear of bugs :p

iChris93

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone updated to iOS 12? Is it working with Tesla app version 3.5? I did not see notes in 3.5 that mention iOS 12 compatibility. Not ready to jump on iOS 12 yet...fear of bugs :p
I updated yesterday. Everything seems fine so far. I think Apple really pushed to squash bugs and increase performance for all devices that got this update.

SalisburySam

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I updated this morning to iOS12, and my Tesla app is current. Drove a short trip this morning with a couple of stops; all worked as it should. I have an iPhone6...far from latest and greatest but with a new battery and a headphone jack.

Bugs? In software today? Nah, can't possibly be. Actually, with the complexity of almost anything in software, getting an operating system without bugs is impossible. Alpha testing usually eliminates the catastrophic failures, beta testing eliminates lesser but still likely to be visible failures and all the new catastrophic failures introduced by fixing them in the first place.

Your caution is justified, but I'll bet Tesla's software team has been working with iOS12 in development labs for a good long while. Most likely, v3.5 was the version needed to ensure operability with iOS12.

Last edited:

IPv6Freely

Go Leafs Go
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been using it for months. It's actually BY FAR the smoothest iOS upgrade I've ever experienced.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I updated this morning to iOS12, and my Tesla app is current. Drove a short trip this morning with a couple of stops; all worked as it should. I have an iPhone6...far from latest and greatest but with a new battery and a headphone jack.

Bugs? In software today? Nah, can't possibly be. Actually, with the complexity of almost anything in software, getting an operating system without bugs is impossible. Alpha testing usually eliminates the catastrophic failures, beta testing eliminates lesser but still likely to be visible failures and all the new catastrophic failures introduced by fixing them in the first place.

Your caution is justified, but I'll bet Tesla's software team has been working with iOS12 in development labs for a good long while. Most likely, v3.5 was the version needed to ensure operability with iOS12.
I've been burned in the past with new iOS updates so I am a bit cautious. :)

IPv6Freely

Go Leafs Go
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good to hear. I am thinking of updating soon... :)
Usually developer beta 1 breaks at least SOMETHING, or I see app crashes, or whatever. This is the first time that didn't happen. With the exception of a bug that was in one of the later betas where it would ask you to update every time you unlocked (that they QUICKLY released an update for), iOS12 has been absolutely flawless for me.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can vouch same as the others -- installed the GM version of iOS 12 as soon as it dropped last week (I don't mess with betas as my phone is too important to me). iOS 12 is solid and works perfectly with the Tesla app.

NEO

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife is a type 1 diabetic and with ios 12 & the shortcuts app she can ask siri what her blood sugar is and she responds with the correct numbers. Hopefully someone can figure out how we can get the Tesla app to run commands in a similar way