1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

I'm bailing! (sort of)

Discussion in 'Reserving, Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Steven, Aug 29, 2017.

More threads by Steven
  1. Steven

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Country
    Today I succumbed to Elon's "anti selling" wish and I'm (temporarily) bailing on the Model 3.

I got a great deal on a 2015 P85D. It'll arrive in a couple of weeks.

I'm still keeping my reservation in hopes that I can stay at the "front of the line" when my number comes up. I still want a 3 but there's no way I can afford both so I'll have to decide at the time if its worth whatever depreciation on this car. But either way I'm in the Tesla family and I'm stoked! I've been waiting a long time and I just didn't want to keep waiting. My Tesla page still shows end of 2018 despite being a Day 1er. I really didn't want to subject my family to another risky winter in our current car. My family deserves the safest car available, now they'll have it!

• Like Like x 11
  2. Safe Daddy Driver

Well-Known SDD
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Jersey
    Country
    Keep that reservation handy in case you change your mind down the road. In the meantime, enjoy your Model S! :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. BobLoblaw

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kelowna BC
    Country
    Congrats Steven! It'll be a nice car to say the least!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    There's nothing wrong with that Steven, Congratulations!

Some of you may already know that I'm also considering either a new Model S, or maybe even a Model X, but I can't make that decision for another 6 months if I want to time a new car delivery when I return my lease in April. Either way I'm still keeping my Model 3 reservation in the off chance production will be ramped enough where we will see some cars for Canada or my wife decides to drop her VW E-Golf aspirations and wants a real EV ;)

• Like Like x 7
  5. Steven

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Country
    Thanks everyone :)

I absolutely "knew" the Model 3 would be my next car when it was revealed 10 or 20 years ago way back on March 31, 2016. I became disillusioned in the more recent July 28th announcement. I thought the options were way too expensive and I detested how Canada was being looked over in terms of roll out (I don't need to go over that again). A few weeks ago I had resigned to getting a Chevy Volt instead but I physically didn't fit in it well (the back is useless!). So my options were really 1) continue to wait and wait or 2) get an S. No other EV fit the bill for where I am and the infrastructure that is available. Safety became the primary driver for not waiting. I briefly considered looking at an ICE, but then I took a hard look at why I wanted a new car anyway. The main reason is my son. We crashed a couple of winters ago because of how unstable the Honda Fit is on the main route in/out of town when snow is on the ground and that scared the crap out of me. Last year we simply holed-up and didn't go anywhere between October and April and that sucked. If I'm doing this for my son... then there's no way an ICE is acceptable because if I'm going to get him safety into the future, I have to do my part to make sure there's a future for him to get to.

That thought process solidified my commitment to my next car being an EV. All things considered, there was only one option... bite the bullet.

• Like Like x 7
  6. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    You could also move to someplace warmer than Canukistan. The NHL keeps trying to entice us to move further south. They're adding teams to places like Florida and Nevada where they don't even know what ice is.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Steven

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Country
    Due to my wife's medication [*@#&! you pharma rip off corps... but thank you for saving her :)] there's no way we could move to the US. I've thought about that so many times. I'm a US citizen by birth (moved when I was very young so I have no real connection) so it would be no trouble. I wanted to really come down to take advantage of real estate after the crash (that never really happened here). Plus Amazon! I'd give two toes off my left foot to have the same access to Amazon. But alas... here we pay a few thousand a year for her meds and there it would be a few thousand a month. Forever. Just can't.

• Like Like x 5
  8. ng0

ng0
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    San Diego
    Country
    Congrats on the Model S! Tesla keeps trying to call and convince me to switch over, but there's no way I'm paying 70K+ for a new base model S (with less range) or 40K+ for a non-first gen used model S. I know it's ridiculous, but I'm actually really excited about not having a keyfob also. Tons of benefits to the model S though, so I'm sure you'll really enjoy it!

9. Brokedoc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Country
    Congrats! I had a P85D for a week as a loaner and that car is RIDICULOUSLY fast! Definitely a nicer car than the Model 3 as it should be as it was probably USD $150,000 brand new. You will love it.

10. Tony_YYZ

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Caledon, ON
    Country
    Awesome! Congrats @Steven

What are the specs on your P85D?

11. Steven

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Country
    Let's see... Midnight Silver. 21" greys. Sunroof. AP1. Air suspension. Black NextGen (I think) seats. Premium lighting.

Off hand, I'm not sure what else was optional at the time. I have the original window sticker. It had everything I cared about except premium sound.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Tony_YYZ

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Caledon, ON
    Country
    Sounds great! The wait will be grueling. Post pics when it arrives.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JBsC6

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Northern NJ
    Country
    Awesome new model S ...sounds like a fabulous car. It's a CPO with an extended warranty? Did it cost about the same as what you were going to spend on the model 3.

I wish your wife and son good health and even though I don't agree the planet needs electric vehicles it's nice that you do.

There are so many of us who just want the tesla s because they are good looking, quiet and quick...the bonus of saving the planets environoment is just an added bonus.

I enjoyed reading your story and wish you and your family well.

I look forward to hearing how this CPO vehicle arrived, what shape it was in, how much you paid, would you do it again.

I really dig the model S with awd...yet for my use I feel it's a little large for the better half to navigate...(her words not mine) so as we all know happy wife, happy life...model 3 it is...

That CPO you described is tempting though..

Best of luck with it...from my understanding so far..the vehicles are fully reconditioned, updated etc and are a fabulous way to get into literally the first class luxury vehicle in the world.

Both your son and your wife will I am sure be pleased with your decision as well.

14. Steven

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Country
    Not a CPO, no. That's why I got such a great deal. CPO don't really make sense, at least not in my market. May as well get a new one at those prices. So I get the balance of the original warranty. It did not cost the same as what I was going to spend on a Model 3... probably about 50% more. But this is the P version of the car and is a larger, more comfortable, more luxurious, spacious, faster, technologically advanced vehicle. I think Tesla's done an abundant job of making it clear that the S is a superior vehicle to the 3. The 3 has its advantages, certainly, being designed with newer tech, processes and greater experience. I think I would prefer a 3, to be honest, because I don't really care about the performance and certainly not the luxury and, like your wife, a smaller vehicle is a better fit for me. But the S has a proven safety record and it is available now. I got a good enough deal on it that depreciation - hopefully - is minimal.

CPO go through a 200 point or something inspection and things are fixed, and yes they call that "reconditioned"... but they are all effectively new cars and in truth will have very minimal done to them. They exclude minor dings and normal stuff you'd find on a 2-3 year old car. The tires are still 50% worn, etc. The nicest part of CPO is the warranty extension and the knowledge that you get a complete report. For example, the CPO I was looking at clearly stated it had 4mm tire tread (maybe one season left), 80% brakes remaining (excessive for a 2 yr old Tesla), wrinkles in the leather seats (normal), curb damage on the wheels, etc. They don't fix those things... they report on them. The car I got instead (again, not CPO) has had the tires replaced (they estimated 80%), I have no idea what the brakes are like, and with over 100 very high-quality photographs I can see every scratch and ding (and yes, there are some... but nothing I wouldn't get in 2 months of driving anyway). But being that it is 2 years old and looks like it was babied... I'm comfortable with it. Electric cars are so much simpler, mechanically, than ICE so really I don't see a huge value in an inspection report, personally. Anything I discover that is amiss is still covered under warranty.

My buying a non-CPO means I need to be comfortable in the seller. And I was. Once the transaction is complete and I have my car, I plan on writing a full review because... unless there's a scam here somewhere (and then you can BELIEVE I'll write a full review!!!), this guy has been awesome. In the end, I decided to buy this car - sight unseen - from over 2500 miles away from a 3rd party dealer vs a similar car with more warranty from Tesla directly and only 240 miles away. The main reasons? #2 was price. #1 was the knowledge, behavior, responsiveness and respect from the owner of the 3rd party dealer.

Oh, and as far as "updating"... CPO checks that the latest firmware is applied. But the owner can do that themselves anyway. 3rd party or CPO or new... OTA updates go out to all.

That feels like an odd statement. You first say you don't agree the planet needs it, but then you acknowledge that saving the planet is an added bonus that the car provides.

I recognize that enticing the ignorant masses to buy an electric vehicle despite it being a big part of the solution to the largest and most significant problem our species (and by extension virtually every existing species save for cockroaches and sharks and a few others) has ever faced is an important thing because those deniers won't come willingly otherwise... but I still believe that educating said masses is equally important. We can't agree to disagree because science doesn't allow for ignorance. 2+2 always = 4 regardless of individual beliefs. ICE cars produce gobs of unnecessary GHG. GHG is killing our planet. Yes, the planet needs electric vehicles. There are other things too, certainly, but I don't believe we can get to the future we all need without taking this huge chunk of the problem "off the road".

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    @Steven - I saw this posted on Reddit this morning and thought you may appreciate it ;)
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2