1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Importing from USA to Canada? Think again!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Captain Semtex, Jul 26, 2017.

Tags:
More threads by Captain Semtex
  1. Captain Semtex

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, Canada
    While looking at "My Telsa" and wondering what colour I will choose for my M3, I suddenly realised I could easily change my contact address to a relative that lives in LA... and I wondered if that might accelerate when I receive my M3? I live in BC and reviewing both the ICBC and Transport Canada websites all indicated that the whole process of importing a new car from the US was quite straight-forward.

I also figured that as Telsa cars are software controlled, any differences between USA and Canadian requirements (eg daytime running lights, kph, etc) would be trivially easy to configure.

But, as part of the checklist, I came across the Transport Canada list of admissible vehicles from the USA and when I clicked on Tesla Motors I was shocked to discover that only limited versions of the Roadster can be imported into Canada. The Model S and Model X explicitly cannot be imported! (See http://www.tc.gc.ca/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles/importation/usa/vafus/list2/TESLA_MOTORS.htm) It states,
    "Tesla Motors has informed Transport Canada that Tesla service centers are currently not in a position to support the substantial modifications required to bring U.S. Model S and Model X vehicles into compliance with Canadian requirements."

Of course there is no mention of the M3, but I was very surprised by this.

• Informative Informative x 1