Impressions after 2,000 miles of Model 3!

Discussion in 'Tesla Experiences' started by SoFlaModel3, Mar 13, 2018.

1. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    #1 SoFlaModel3, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Here I sit supercharging for the first time picking up a cool 340 miles of range per hour and I thought I would reflect on the first 2,000 miles of Model 3.

First what’s that? Another Midnight Silver Model 3 with Sport Wheels on the background!?!??!

837EC4B4-3550-43F1-A2D9-4DB7D9E72F8D.jpeg

Ok so here we go. I have had the car for 35 days and put on 2,118 miles as I sit here. An average of 60.5 miles per day or 22,087 for the year if I keep this pace.

This is hands down, no comparison, the best car I have ever owned. My previous cars worth mention would be a 2002 Audi A4 with Quattro (my previous favorite). A 2007 Infiniti G35S with Manual Transmission (fun, but soul-less), and a 2014 Mercedes Benz CLA250 (hands down the worst Mercedes ever made). I have zero previous ownership in an EV let alone a hybrid. Other cars with decent seat time are 2001 Porsche 911, 2003 BMW M3, and 2017 Tesla Model S 75.

The Audi was my first love. The Porsche and BMW were a blast to drive. The Model S is a dream.

Well my Model 3 has been everything I could have ever hoped for and then some, which I didn’t think was possible.

My few gripes remain the gripes I quickly caught in the first few days — closing the trunk just isn’t right (Premium Package probably should have had a power liftgate), the frunk is nice but closing it is also a pain, the side mirrors should have BSD, and finally the sun visors are a bit of an issue with low-ish sun from the side.

None of that matters in the least.

The driving dynamics in this car are stellar. From passing with a laser beam of acceleration from any speed. The car really hugs the road. The view from the driver’s seat is fantastic with nothing in front of you but glass.

The A/C is equal parts elegant and freaking cool. Best yet it actually works well.

Autopilot was the best last second decision ever. I use it every weekday to and from work 30+ highway miles each way. It’s a dream. It even got better in the last update.

The screen. WOW! It’s vivid and crazy responsive. People are stunned when they see it. It works very well now and I know it’s only going to get better. The navigation is very easy to use and can be triggered by typing, voice, or grabbing an address from your contact list.

All the glass. Amazing that even in South Florida we aren’t paying a heat penalty with all of this glass. The coating on the overhead pieces cuts all of the glare while still allowing you to look out with ease.

One pedal driving is fantastic. The regen could be a pinch stronger, but it’s still highly effective and I hardly ever use the brakes.

It’s just the total package. Nothing can compete EV or otherwise. I’m so excited to see more on the road even though I just met my car’s doppelgänger (there goes exclusivity) :mad::D

Anyway I think that’s all for now. I’m excited for everyone that has it and everyone that is about to get it more than anything!

Looks like it was $4.84 for 96 miles of range :cool:

F6FEF88E-AD79-448E-BF87-DD414E41646D.jpeg

EDIT: I left out the best part which is the community and everything that goes with it. It’s the first time I have felt apart of a car community since the early 2000’s with the Audi forums and big local get togethers. Seems like the superchargers can be mini get togethers which is neat!

• Like Like x 20
    • Love it! Love it! x 10
    • Winner Winner x 4
  2. zosoisnotaword

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Glad you're enjoying the car. When it is released, I think the adjacent lane vehicle display will be a better blind spot warning than lights in the mirrors.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Thanks and unfortunately it's still not a reasonable solution for BSD. You're never going to look at the center screen as part of a lane change as it's too out of the way. Like I said, not a big deal (especially with mirrors properly adjusted).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. zosoisnotaword

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Not yet ;) I expect to develop a habit of glancing at the screen first before I turn to look at the mirrors. I'll still probably continue the practice of turning around and putting my physical eye balls on the blind spot though, at least for the first couple years while I'm still in the "my precious" phase.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. jman

Expand Collapse

How has the AP been compared to your S? That SC really gave you some serious juice, is it more than what you would have gotten in your S? Has it been an easy adjustment, especially driving at night with no binnacle to look at in front of you? Thanks for your update !!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Quicksilver

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    @SoFlaModel3, Great write up! Thanks! I am on the fence about getting EAP at this time. I do not foresee using it much except for long road trips which is once or twice a year. My daily commute is 7 miles round trip so no traffic issues at all - I don't even use the freeways for my commute (I do cross over one freeway daily and looking down on the traffic mess makes me giggle a bit). It takes me about 7 to 8 minutes to drive to work. Now, what can you say to convince me to get EAP? :p of course I have to get invited to configure first...:mad:

7. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    The Model S isn't mine, so I have seat time but nothing close to being a daily driver. The Model S has AP 1 which has been great. I think my Model 3 is at the same level as far as smoothness as the Model S is.

As far as no binnacle at night -- it's incredible. There is no glare distracting you and the clarity of the road is much better. Meanwhile, it's better during the day as well. The adjustment to a center screen was less than 1 day and I never thought twice about it again!

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Yeah if my daily commute was 7 miles round trip, I'd be hard pressed to spend $5,000 on EAP. It works on city roads, but it's not intended for city roads; so your use case of 1-2 road trips per year makes it a tough sell. With my mileage and the amount of rush hour highway driving that's done it's a lot easier to justify it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. mig

mig
    M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Remember also if you are in autopilot the system will "prevent" you from moving into an occupied lane (though sometimes it refuses to move into an open lane as well), which you don't get with BSM. I also wonder if we'll get an audible warning when moving over unsafely once adjacent objects are tracked.

I have to echo everything @SoFlaModel3 said here (I'm at 1200 miles), however I'm coming from an i3 and a Leaf before that. Once I went BEV I swore I'd never go back, and I just can't express how wonderful it is to no longer have to compromise to drive EV. Thanks Tesla!

• Like Like x 7
  10. Quicksilver

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I wonder what the premium would be if, let's say, a couple of years down the road, I decide to get EAP. From my understanding, the hardware is in place, it's just a matter of paying for the software to be activated.

11. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I do wonder what it's thinking sometimes when it won't switch into an open lane and then wants to try as a car begins to creep up :eek:

Well it's $5k with your configuration or $6k out of pocket (not in your financing) later. Definitely a tougher pill to swallow later.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. LUXMAN

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    And as I am teaching my teenager to drive the LEAF, ALWAYS look over your shoulder

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. aquadoggie

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I'm in a similar situation with a less than 10 mile commute and I don't think the extra $1k is that big of a deal down the road if I decide to go that route. It would have been much harder to justify the extra $5k for me at configuration. But glad you all enjoy it and I'm sure if I had a hellish commute it would come in handy. I also don't trust the tech yet! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. LUXMAN

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    So have you tried the non-EAP cruise control yet? I can’t wait to try it on Monday!

15. aquadoggie

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I have not tried the cruise control yet. Also, in my ecstasy over the weekend, I forgot to mention (I think) that the non-EAP version does indeed have all the sensors working for traffic and stationary objects. It even shows the cars on the road and the lane lines. Just doesn't drive itself. Which is exactly what I wanted.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. LUXMAN

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Nice! So does it beep as well to alert you to those stationary objects?

17. aquadoggie

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    It does indeed.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. John

Tech Founder
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    YouYouXue told me that when you ask EAP to make a lane change it does NOT avoid cars in the blind spot. True?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I think so, but not 100% sure. I know if there is a car next to you, it won’t shift lanes but I had one occurrence where I turned on the blinker and the car didn’t budge (that part has happened more than once), but this particular time a car was creeping up to my blind spot and out of nowhere it switched lanes and cut the person off.

• Informative Informative x 3
  20. LucyferSam

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    So my daily commute is even shorter, but I was never in doubt about getting EAP. It makes any time spent on the highway nicer, so if you make even semi-frequent long trips it is totally worth it in my opinion (I have a 2-3 minute drive to work, but I do have 2500 miles on BlueLiion since mid Jan...). It also makes a difference that I'm not next to a major airport though, so even in my previous car a 10h drive was my limit before I switched to air travel, now it will probably jump to a 15 hour drive...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2