Increased regenerative breaking only for RWD?

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

coolesnce

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I been reading that increased regenerative breaking is only for RWD, but and some people with AWD saying the received the increased regen. I have a AWD and updated from 39.x to 42.3 and didn't have it listed on my whats new screen. Any one hear from Tesla on this?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I been reading that increased regenerative breaking is only for RWD, but and some people with AWD saying the received the increased regen. I have a AWD and updated from 39.x to 42.3 and didn't have it listed on my whats new screen. Any one hear from Tesla on this?
The increased regen is obvious on my RWD car. My wife got the update on her dual motor but hasn’t run it yet. Will confirm in the morning.

ADK46

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just to highlight the phenomenon of observational bias, I was sure that I detected increased regen yesterday after the update to my dual motor car. Apparently not. No one is immune, not even a former scientist.

Dogwhistle

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve noticed that the green regen power bar now goes as far left as between the N and R on the gear indicator. Previously it wouldn’t go past the D. Also, the black power bar now will go fully to the right, whereas before it never could make it all the way. A little power uncorking too? LR RWD.

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I’ve noticed that the green regen power bar now goes as far left as between the N and R on the gear indicator. Previously it wouldn’t go past the D. Also, the black power bar now will go fully to the right, whereas before it never could make it all the way. A little power uncorking too? LR RWD.
The regen power bar has always gone all the way to the left (past drive). Depending upon battery temperature and state of charge it might not all be available but the graph has always extended the full distance so nothing has changed there.

I haven't had a chance to drive our LR Model 3 since the latest update but, if the regen is noticeably stronger, that would mean it has more regen than our AWD Model 3. My guess is the regen was tuned up so it didn't reduce unnecessarily.

iChris93

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The regen power bar has always gone all the way to the left (past drive). Depending upon battery temperature and state of charge it might not all be available but the graph has always extended the full distance so nothing has changed there.
Are you describing your experience with RWD or AWD?

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I don’t think I’ve ever seen my Regen max out on my RWD, that’s why I was asking.
If the regen is limited by temperature or state of charge, the grey line extending all the way to the edge (under Park) would be a dashed grey line. It has been that way since Spring when I took delivery. I imagine the change to regen makes that region more likely to be used for regen I'm assuming if they bothered to make it dashed under limited regen conditions, it implies that it could be green under full regen.

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Similar here, I never saw the green bar max out until getting 42.2.
Earlier you said you felt the Performance exhibited more regen than the RWD. Is that observation more apparent at freeway speeds or at the point of strongest feeling regen (around 30 mph)? I ask because I hadn't noticed the regen feeling any stronger in our Performance vs. RWD. I'm asking about the regen before the recent software update.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Earlier you said you felt the Performance exhibited more regen than the RWD. Is that observation more apparent at freeway speeds or at the point of strongest feeling regen (around 30 mph)? I ask because I hadn't noticed the regen feeling any stronger in our Performance vs. RWD. I'm asking about the regen before the recent software update.
I would say it was more apparent at the strongest point. It’s been a while since I had that car to play around with though.

iChris93

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If the regen is limited by temperature or state of charge, the grey line extending all the way to the edge (under Park) would be a dashed grey line. It has been that way since Spring when I took delivery. I imagine the change to regen makes that region more likely to be used for regen I'm assuming if they bothered to make it dashed under limited regen conditions, it implies that it could be green under full regen.
I know that. My green line has never reached all the way to the left when there is a solid gray line.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don’t think I’ve ever seen my Regen max out on my RWD, that’s why I was asking.
(on my dual motor) I've only seen the green attempt to reach all the way to the left a few times when the battery was quite low, and was slowing down from a higher speed (like coming off the freeway on an uphill offramp). Then it still had a bit of space remaining to the left (around the second gear letter from the left (is that R?)), but close to all the way.
In a normal day, the furthest I see it go is about ½ way to the left.