Interesting Comparison

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 10th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Latest video from Bjorn Nyland shows the charge rate difference between an 85 and a 90 kWh battery. Another reason I think bigger is better when it comes to battery size. Of course it is all weather the benefits can justify the price.

Dan

TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
The bigger the battery the faster it can charge. Keep in mind the balancing taper off that occurs when the battery reaches~ 80% then up to a full charge. The last 20% or so takes longer.

The difference between 85 and 90KwH packs is minimal but much more pronounced if you compare a 70 and a 90 pack

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think Nyland makes one error in his comparison. He's correct that comparing percentages isn't useful due to the different sizes of the batteries. However, comparing km isn't really relevant either, given that the two vehicles (Model S & Model X) have different efficiencies. He really should have been comparing power and energy, but that would have been harder to calculate without knowing the efficiency values that the car displays are using to convert from energy to miles.

Given that, I believe the X would have been closer to the S throughout the range. It would be useful to redo this comparison between two Model S's (85D and 90D), at which point km could be used for comparison.

Latest video from Bjorn Nyland shows the charge rate difference between an 85 and a 90 kWh battery. Another reason I think bigger is better when it comes to battery size. Of course it is all weather the benefits can justify the price.

Dan
Dan, by 2018 you and I may be the only two people on the planet who own both a Model 3 and a TR-6! Slightly different aesthetic. The Triumph has no pollution controls and gets about 20 mpg. But I get the logic!