1. It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Is Android as car key ever going to actually WORK????

Discussion in 'Software and Firmware' started by scott franco, May 24, 2018.

1. scott franco

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    If I turn the Android phone completely off then on again, I can get it to work as a M3 key. It works for about a day, then goes right back to failing again. The recommended procedure of enabling and disabling airplane mode has never worked for me.

Right now, I have given up and am using the credit card again. Sigh.

2. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    What exact phone do you have?

3. PatrickM

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I would encourage you to make sure to report this as an issue to Tesla.

On a related note, as I posted in another thread but haven't seen anyone else discussing:
    I was listening to the Consumer Reports video about the Tesla braking issue here:

And they mention in the video (starting at 12:12) that Elon implied that a key fob will be offered in the future (at time 13:16) by saying "we really need to provide a normal key to the customers of this car".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Al Casasola

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    This happens on occasion to me with my iPhone 8 Plus. When I have issues I restart my phone and that usually fixes the issue. Not ideal but it's worked for me.

5. scott franco

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    Samsung G5
    That sounds like the right idea at this point. To many reports the phone thing does not work.

6. Steve

Expand Collapse

Of course this is from just one person with one phone.....however.... I had an android phone with Bluetooth 4.1. The phone was a rather inexpensive LG 3 that I bought in 2017 with ATT as the provider. From the time my Model 3 was delivered (2-23-2018), until three weeks ago, I had very poor luck with using my phone as a key. I read that there is a newer 5.0 version of Bluetooth. With ATT, there was only 3 or 4 high end phones that offer 5.0. I decided to try a Samsung Galaxy S9 since it is on sale for 50% off. I was assured that I had at least two weeks to try it and that if the Bluetooth was not any better I could return the phone. I am happy to report that this phone with version 5.0 works about 95 to 98% of the time versus about 20% or less with the LG. Your results may very but I am happy with the Samsung Galaxy S9. By the way, I am very happy with my car R2D2, it is GREAT!!

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. scott franco

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    Higher power transmitter?

8. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
  9. scott franco

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    So you are saying this is all a plot in conjunction with Tesla to force me to buy a new phone??? I KNEW IT!!!

• Funny Funny x 5
  10. slasher016

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Ha, but sadly, I do think this is a case where a newer phone is going to work better. I've had minimal problems running a Pixel XL, which is slightly "older" phone but obviously much newer than a GS5.

11. goto10

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    It's almost always worked perfectly for me with my Note 8.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Maevra

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Hardly ever have problems with my iPhone 6s. I've never had to restart (turn off the phone), just a couple BT on/offs or airplane mode on/offs.

I don't really blame Tesla since part of it is a BT issue and having stuff work perfectly across all devices is pretty slim, but yeah it's frustrating if yours happens to the the 1% of phones that just don't work well with it. +1 to a fob for such cases!

13. Unplugged

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Both my wife's and my Samsung S8 work good. At first, hers had a problem with recognizing, but I deleted it and added it back. Now it works all the time.

Also, since getting her key out was a pain, I noticed that if she unlocked the doors through the phone app, it would work, and then recognize the phone from then on.

14. 3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I have a Samsung S8+ and it works great. The only regular flaw I've noticed is that once each morning I need to turn on airplane mode then turn it off again. Once I do that it phone works the rest of the day without issue. I did adjust one setting that I read about before I got the car, I think it was to allow the app to work in the background.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Rich M

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Haven't had a problem yet with Samsung Galaxy S8 Active. On Android, you need to add the Tesla app to the list of apps that are not allowed to be 'put to sleep' by the OS.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  16. ahagge

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    #16 ahagge, May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Ditto here (Moto G5+, Android 7.0), except that mine only works for a few hours, then disconnects and no amount of cycling Bluetooth, cycling Airplane mode, etc. will make it work. Only a reboot helps. I'm convinced that it's NOT the car, since my wife's older Moto G (2014, Android 5.1) works much better. Not 100%, but probably 85-90%.

I feel strongly that it's an Android issue (Bluetooth stack) and that it's the Tesla app for Android that needs to be fixed to work around the issues. In the meantime, I'm praying that Tesla comes out with a Bluetooth keyfob for it. I'll gladly pay for one!

17. relidtm

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    #17 relidtm, May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
    I agree we shouldn't have to do this but I disabled doze on my app and it actually works, we shouldn't have to do it but I'm sure there is a software fix, also as someone else stated Elon Musk addressed this issue in the breaking video with consumer reports.

for android users go to your battery settings
    go to battery usage scroll down to Tesla app
    go to battery optimization and choose not optimized (this prevents it from turning off).
    Make sure you do this right after a restart and I haven't had problems since. (knock on wood)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. GregRF

Expand Collapse

Country
    I have an LG phone, Nexus 5X that says it has bluetooth 4.2 which seems to work fairly well. I do have the Battery Optimization turned off for the Tesla app.

19. oey192

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    They should provide all 3 options for all Tesla customers (Model S, X, and 3): key fob, “credit card” backup, and phone key. That way we get the best of all worlds based on what we find works for us and what doesn’t

(The credit card is a great backup for those whose phones work 98+% of the time so people who use the phone key need both. For people using the fob, they could leave their credit card backups in a drawe somewhere)

iPhone X user here. I’ve had the car a week and the phone key has failed for me once. Disabling and reenabling Bluetooth fixed it but it was still annoying

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Rich M

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    There's nothing an app author can do, Tesla or otherwise, that would prevent an app from sleeping. That is up to Android's OS.

• Agree Agree x 1