1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Is The Current Supercharger Network Adequate For You?

Discussion in 'Charging and Infrastructure' started by Bobby Garrity, Feb 25, 2017.

More threads by Bobby Garrity
  1. Bobby Garrity

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    North Massapequa, NY
    Country
    If you were to get your Model 3 today with the range you expect it will have, will the current state of the Supercharger network be sufficient for your long distance travel needs? Look at the Supercharger map and where you typically take road trips. Are your trips even possible? Do you have to go at all out of your way?

For simplicity, let's assume that the Superchargers are your only charging option, except of course your home and destination (unless you know you can't charge at your destination). We know there are other charging options, but let's keep this discussion limited to Supercharging to keep things easy. However, if you do have a road trip that is impossible with just Supercharging, feel free to share what other options make it possible.

For me, my main concern are my trips between North Carolina and New York. I do them often, and they are the only long road trips I regularly take. I spend most of this drive on I-95, so I could make the trip without taking a different route. However, I still would have to go slightly out of my way in some spots to get to the Supercharger itself, and since I would want to eat while charging to save time, my food options are limited by what is within walking distance to the Supercharger. Thankfully, there is one planned at a rest stop I visit almost every time on my southbound trip, so that will help a lot!

2. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
    Country
    @Bobby Garrity , I am trying not to concern myself with this hypothetical question. ;)
    The reality is, for those who will get their Model ≡ soonest later this year, i.e. our friends on the West Coast, there is already a denser (albeit at time crowded...) SC coverage. Most importantly, there will to be additions over the next couple of years... and possibly enhancements in fast charging technology... We will be fine... [​IMG]

3. Matthew Morgan

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Country
    Being in Phoenix, AZ, my usual travel locations are San Diego (no problem getting there), Mid-East AZ (Superchargers will get me there but I'll have to charge at my destination), and Telluride, CO (I would have to take a longer route for the current supercharger map but Tesla is "supposed" to add a charger in Kayenta, AZ in 2016/2017 which makes the route optimal)

Once Tesla adds Superchargers as shown in the 2017 list, 99% of the places you want to go in Arizona will be accessible from their network.

4. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    No

If I end up with a 400-mile range Model 3, then I might not need to use a supercharger for the one large trip to drop off the kids at college. In which case it might be sufficient. I'm buying this car because I assume the supercharger network will continue to expand to help meet my needs.

5. BigBri

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Country
    Mostly go from Kingston to Toronto which I could get close to doing on a single charge but there is a supercharger 60% of the way. There is also a Supercharger 4 minutes from me. I go visit the Model S and X sitting there all the time.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • MelindaV

☰ > 3
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Vancouver, WA
      Country
      #6 MelindaV, Feb 25, 2017
      Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
      my main long distance travel is long weekends up to Seattle (170 miles ea way). Currently there is a single SC at about the halfway point (in the aptly named town of Centralia). So getting there is no issue. If there is destination charging where we would stay it would not be an issue... If there is not destination charging, it would be an issue.
      However, if the 2017 projected SC map comes to reality, it looks like there will be SCs added just outside of Portland and Seattle - so that would make getting back possible without depending on staying at a hotel with a charger.

Most any of my single day driving trips would work with the current network (with the adds made in the last year). The Oregon coast now has a couple (about a 115 mile ea/way), going south toward CA is covered on I-5 pretty well for thru travel (could be the same issue as Seattle for staying at a point between SCs), and heading to the mountain or central Oregon is covered as well.

@Matthew Morgan - I wish there was a more central SC in the PHX area.... I'll be coming down for spring training in about a week (!) and considered finding a Model S rental, but decided it probably wasn't practical with where we are staying and the parks we'll be going to vs going out to Buckeye a couple times to charge up. maybe next year ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • Badback

Valued Community Member
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Prior Lake, MN
        Country
        Our typical vacation destination is the North Shore of Minnesota, this is the stretch of Lake Superior shore north of Duluth to the Canadian border. There is a SC in Duluth and I'm hoping for a destination charger at our usual lodging at Cascade, but I would like to see a SC in Grand Marais or maybe somewhere up the Gunflint Trail.

• Matthew Morgan

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Phoenix, AZ
        Country
        Maybe now that supercharging isn't free (past the free kWhr cap), we'll see more Superchargers in city centers :)

• Agree Agree x 1
        • TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
          Staff Member Founder
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Aurora,Ontario
          Country
          Superchargers are not the only place you can get a fast charge!

If you watch Bjørn Nyland in Norway, the most Supercharger saturated country in the world, he regularly uses CHAdeMO fast charging stations for his Model X and he loves them.

Make sure you check out plugshare.com for a worldwide map of other charging stations you can use in addition to Superchargers!!!

• Like Like x 1
          • pjfw8

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Hendersonville NC
            That is some beautiful county!

• Matthew Morgan

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Phoenix, AZ
            Country
            Does Bjorn's wife know that he listens to the Gay Pop radio station in every video?

• Funny Funny x 2
            • Matthew Morgan

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              Phoenix, AZ
              Country
              #12 Matthew Morgan, Feb 26, 2017
              Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
              The Blink network seems to be the big player locally. From checking the rates and very loose assumptions and best case scenario...

DC Fast Charger Map.PNG

Level 2 - $0.04/min @ 9.6 kWhr/hour. This comes out to $0.25/kWhr. Not a good deal since charging at home would cost around $0.06 per kWhr using Arizona's off-peak electrical rate. (4 times cost of electricity) assuming the Blink Level 2 gives you 40 amps..?

Blink Fees Level 2.PNG

Level 3 - $6.99/session. I don't really know if you could get a full Tesla charge but I'll assume that since I'm so loose on my assumptions here. $9.99 for 75 kWhr of electricity. Level 3 seems to fair a lot better than Level 2 since charging at home in Arizona would cost $4.50 for 75 kWhr of electricity. (1.5 times cost of electricity) assuming you charged 75 kWhr.

Blink Fees.PNG
              There are also a lot of places around here to charge for free like shopping centers :)

• Informative Informative x 1
              • MelindaV

☰ > 3
                Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                Vancouver, WA
                Country
                I am currently working with a client that is developing a shopping center in a resort town and in a recent meeting their leasing guy asked about adding EV chargers (pointing out they should because, "have you seen that whole lot of chargers Tesla put in across town?!" (superchargers) as a good business reason to invest in EV charge stations at their project). The owner was not very interested until he realized it could be done at the price they set, not cost a fortune in equipment and he wouldn't be losing money on the deal (thanks @AEDennis for the connection!). Along with the equipment/system info I put together, I gave them some ballpark rates different providers charge and specifically pointed out how som services like Blink are ridiculously expensive over the cost of the power (at least here).
                In the end they decided to add (4) L2 chargers that they can set the fee on and be totally in control of, but didn't bite on adding the Tesla Destination chargers I suggested.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • Matthew Morgan

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                  Phoenix, AZ
                  Country
                  Very interesting, didn't know there was 3rd party equipment you can set the price on?

• MelindaV

☰ > 3
                  Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                  Vancouver, WA
                  Country
                  Dennis passed on a contact he has that sells or leases equipment and it's software.

• Daliman

Supporting Member
                  Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                  Mississauga
                  Country
                  My commute and daily drives won't require charging. Our cottage is 400 km roundtrip, no superchargers but 2 sets of Level 3 going in by next year, thanks Ontario gov.. I plan to put in a 240 charger there and a Tesla home charger at our home. Trips to New York, Virginia Beach and Florida are already or soon will be covered. What is not covered is the Trans Canada Highway. Even Ottawa has nothing, come on Tesla its our 150th! Elon seemed to hint that the cross Canada trip would be covered this year. Assuming one every 250 km this would be less than 30 new stations. Hoping.

• Twiglett

Supporting Member
                  Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                  Austin, Texas
                  Country
                  Superchargers are pretty much the only game in town when on the interstates. At least most metro areas are starting to get somewhat decent L3 coverage on either Chademo or CCS - even if it is usually super expensive.
                  Here in Texas, we went from 5 locations to 30ish in the space of a few years, so I'm hopeful that more of those empty spaces get filled out.
                  I'm sure that have SpaceX here will have helped as well though.

• AEDennis

Top-Contributor
                  Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                  Southern California, Most of the time...
                  Country
                  There are several that do... I introduced @MelindaV to EV Connect. They have very flexible programs. I had consulted for them and helped win 3 of California's West Coast Electric Highway routes for them.

Great guys.

• Like Like x 2
                  • Winner Winner x 2
                  • Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
                    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                    Maine
                    Country
                    I think there needs to be a greater geographic diversity, rather than merely increased capacity (to match increased vehicles). For me, my long distance travels seem to be taken care of (assuming they fixed that gap on I-80 in Penn). My concern is local day-trip travel, I can easily plot a typical day trip for me which exceeds half of the range (in winter) that passes nowhere near a Supercharger.

Thank you kindly.