Is there a way to upgrade the suspension for a smoother ride?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the 2018 AWD with 18inch wheels. I lowered the tire pressure to 41, but it is still a stiff ride. It is not enjoyable riding the car on a damaged road, I feel all the bumps and fly all over the place in the car. I was wondering if we can swap the suspension with an aftermarket solution. I’m not looking for lowering the car, just a softer suspension that can absorb more the bumps. Thanks.

DarkNRG

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think Mountain Pass Performance have a comfort focused based coilover set in the works.

kort677

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the 2018 AWD with 18inch wheels. I lowered the tire pressure to 41, but it is still a stiff ride. It is not enjoyable riding the car on a damaged road, I feel all the bumps and fly all over the place in the car. I was wondering if we can swap the suspension with an aftermarket solution. I’m not looking for lowering the car, just a softer suspension that can absorb more the bumps. Thanks.
return the tires to the proper pressures, lowering them will not make the ride softer. the S rides softer. I bought the car for the stiffer, sportier ride

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
What kind of car are you coming from that had less firm handling? I kind of wish ours had the original suspension that people thought was too firm. I feel like the current setup is slightly under sprung and underdamped.

John

Tech Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Most American and Japanese cars in the US are quite a bit softer than German cars.
So probably most Americans prefer a softer, comfy ride over a sporty one.
But that's not Tesla's vibe.

P.S. I didn't really answer the question about finding softer suspension parts. @MountainPass and @Mad Hungarian know that stuff.

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
So probably most Americans prefer a softer, comfy ride over a sporty one.
I think that's very true! When you have a double tall cappuccino in one hand and your cell phone in the other, you don't want a suspension that is too firm! ;) But my preferences have always naturally aligned more closely with those in Europe for some reason. Maybe because I spent my first two years there, I don't know.

I wonder if Tesla will go back to the firmer suspension for the Euro-spec Model 3's?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What kind of car are you coming from that had less firm handling? I kind of wish ours had the original suspension that people thought was too firm. I feel like the current setup is slightly under sprung and underdamped.
I was driving a C-class Mercedes (2007 C280). It was not a soft suspension like a Cadillac or other Americans, but on roads with multiple small bumps, it was behaving appropriately.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't know man...I think it's perfect. It was never designed to be a MB C-Class cruiser comparison in my mind.

Coming from a few Infiniti G37X sedans (2010 and 2013) and most recently a 2015 Chrysler 300S Hemi which had stock 20"s and a sport suspension the 3 IMO is a perfect balance of firm, sporty and compliant.

How cold is it there now? Maybe just different tires might help you out, but your comment about lowering is the complete opposite direction by reducing the suspension travel and absorption in most cases.

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I was driving a C-class Mercedes (2007 C280). It was not a soft suspension like a Cadillac or other Americans, but on roads with multiple small bumps, it was behaving appropriately.
Yes, that's a nice suspension, it was more comfort orientated than the 3 series BMW. Did it automatically increase damping rates in the corners to prevent too much body roll? I read something about that, sounds interesting.

If your Model 3 has the 18" Michelin Eco tires, you might get more compliance by switching to a non-eco tire type.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, can’t wait to see how much the tires add to the comfort. I will get my Nokian winter tires installed in 3 weeks.

Country
Country
Yes, can’t wait to see how much the tires add to the comfort. I will get my Nokian winter tires installed in 3 weeks.
Out of curiosity, what size Nokian tires did you get and for what rims?

I am also very interested in a smoother ride option (suspension, tires, whatever it takes). I like the sporty suspension when I'm on nice smooth roads, but when traveling on most city and suburban roads/highways, it's really rough.

What would it take to make the car's ride smoother (without buying a different car)? Where could I look for parts or options? Lowering the car is not important to me. I'm OK with losing some sportiness in the process.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Out of curiosity, what size Nokian tires did you get and for what rims?

I am also very interested in a smoother ride option (suspension, tires, whatever it takes). I like the sporty suspension when I'm on nice smooth roads, but when traveling on most city and suburban roads/highways, it's really rough.

What would it take to make the car's ride smoother (without buying a different car)? Where could I look for parts or options? Lowering the car is not important to me. I'm OK with losing some sportiness in the process.
Here’s a reply I got from @MountainPass :

Hello,

Both our Sports and Comfort coilovers offer a better ride than stock, and can be set to *almost* stock ride height. They will be a little lower, as they are designed to have a wide range of adjustment, down to very low. Check out both models here and decide which one fits you best!

https://www.mountainpassperformance.com/product-category/model3/suspension/
If it wasn’t from the clearance I need under the car for getting down into our condo garage, I would by one of those after market coilovers.

MountainPass

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It is possible to run stock ride height with our coilovers, but in testing we noticed a reduction in ride quality due to a lack of droop when they are at the highest setting. Even lowering them half an inch from stock ride height restores that sweet, sweet ride. Good luck Frahugo!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It is possible to run stock ride height with our coilovers, but in testing we noticed a reduction in ride quality due to a lack of droop when they are at the highest setting. Even lowering them half an inch from stock ride height restores that sweet, sweet ride. Good luck Frahugo!
Is there any chance you can get a longer shock body so that you could offer more compliant ride and even a little higher than stock ride height? I am looking for a one inch higher ride height for my RWD Model 3.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is there any chance you can get a longer shock body so that you could offer more compliant ride and even a little higher than stock ride height? I am looking for a one inch higher ride height for my RWD Model 3.
No solutions yet, but you'll find some like-minded individuals in this thread:

Model 3 Offroaders!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We have a lift kit we have custom made for a few orders, you can use it in conjunction with our coilovers for a better ride than stock and also increased ride height. It can also be paired with the stock suspension.

We only made 5 sets so if anyone is interested please email us. If there is a demand we will start producing them regularly.

Mosess

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’d
We are currently developing softer springs for all Dual Motor Model 3s if you do not mind a slightly lower ride height.
I prefer factory ride height but slightly softer on the first 1/4-1/3 of travel. But not too much softer as I don’t want to introduce additional body roll. Definitely not lower as I frequently go through some very steep driveways and I generally dislike the look of lowered cars.

Ken Voss

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I feel the Model 3 has the perfect ride quality, its firm enough to handle very nicely without being so firm that you feel every little bump in the road. For those who's primary criteria in selecting a car is a soft ride, don't buy a Model 3, instead try a Buick. You will not get ANY of the incredible features of a model 3, but you will get that soft ride you want.

Mosess

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I feel the Model 3 has the perfect ride quality, its firm enough to handle very nicely without being so firm that you feel every little bump in the road. For those who's primary criteria in selecting a car is a soft ride, don't buy a Model 3, instead try a Buick. You will not get ANY of the incredible features of a model 3, but you will get that soft ride you want.
My very first car was a land boat aka: Buick. If you see it in the junkyard and pay close attention you’ll see the rear end is still bouncing from a big pot hole I drove over on the FDR in nyc.

But I seriously agree with you. It is perfectly tuned and I thoroughly enjoy driving it. In fact I only use autopilot on my longer hwy drives. Yes I actually have driver profile named “Sport” for use when I just want to have some fun.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here’s a reply I got from @MountainPass :

Hello,​
Both our Sports and Comfort coilovers offer a better ride than stock, and can be set to *almost* stock ride height. They will be a little lower, as they are designed to have a wide range of adjustment, down to very low. Check out both models here and decide which one fits you best!​
If it wasn’t from the clearance I need under the car for getting down into our condo garage, I would by one of those after market coilovers.

Is it wise to add on the Arms to the comfort coilovers ? and if I don't what is the disadvantage if I didn't. I am not a tinkerer. I tend to want to set something and let it be. I hate steering / car vibrations and alignment issues and I am leaning on having Tesla probably handle my alignments / tire rotations so curious on these changes if they will want to stay away from doing such tasks ?

I am looking to lower from factory probably 1". I hate the added possibility of scraping or hitting parking stops / bumpers / planters.

But what I don't like about my current RWD is if I am speeding on the freeway and go over freeway connectors and there is a change in height, the car feels like it is skipping / flying over the change. I am talking about a speed of 60-70mph. At other times if driving over a bumpy freeway I tend to feel a lot of the road and would be nice to damper that. BUT with that said, I do not want to loose the tight grip I have when driving high speeds or taking sweeping turns on off / on ramps and would actually like to see that a little tighter if possible to not feel the roll. Would this solution still be the right path to take ?

Thanks for your input.