Is there anyway to improve the ride?

Discussion in 'Customizing & Modifications' started by Jetson, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Jetson

Expand Collapse

Country
    The Model 3 is supposed to be "the first mainstream electric car" unfortunately the ride on city streets is very bumpy. All the other cars I have driven ride better on these same roads.

I have the 18 inch wheels which should be smoother than the 19 inch wheels. I have tried reducing the tire pressure from 45 to 42, but not much improvement.

Is there a way to adjust the sway bars? Even if it adds a bit of body roll?

I am very disappointed.

2. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    What are the other cars you’re comparing to and how many miles do you have on the car?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jetson

Expand Collapse

Country
    #3 Jetson, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Nissan Leaf, BMW 335i, Prius, Mercedes C300. The Model 3 has 1000 miles.

4. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Hmmm... granted I don’t have that much seat time in the Model 3, I can’t imagine it’s any more harsh than the BMW 335i.

Now if it was going to settle any, I’d think that would have happened over 1,000 miles.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Allen Rountree

Expand Collapse

Country
    If you aren't happy, I'd say sell it.

You should be able to find someone to buy it for what you paid or even a little more since the demand is high.

The SAS may be more to your liking in the future.

Aftermarket springs and dampeners are a possibility in the future, but they usually lean toward stiffer and lower, rather than more compliant.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Maevra

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Here's an interesting video of the Leaf (current gen) vs. a Model 3 where the Leaf shows a smoother ride. Honestly I was surprised at how much bumpier the Model 3 looked in the test because I've always felt like the ride was pretty comfortable, but I do understand how disappointing this is if you were looking for an even smother ride.

Hope you can find an aftermarket solution to alleviate the issue, or maybe just end up selling it if you can't come to terms with the ride comfort. :(

• Like Like x 3
  7. rxlawdude

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Interesting, but not very scientific. Do people ride on the dashboard? Were the measuring devices placed exactly at the same point of the wheelbase?

8. Maevra

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Very good questions! More discussed in this thread.

9. Craig Bennett

Expand Collapse

I just rented a M3 and have to agree that the ride can be very harsh. I'm currently driving an Audi S4 and on the exact same roads the difference is significant. This is about the only criticism I can make of the car in the short 24 hour period I had it in my possession but it was serious enough for me to think about what options I would have if it were mine.

Wasn't going to lower the tire pressure on someone elses car and obviously it doesn't sound like the 18 inch rims are going to be "better" since you have them. Does the SAS change the ride quality or simply raise or lower the ride?

10. jsmay311

Expand Collapse

Country
    Can someone who's a "car guy/gal" and is knowledgeable about car suspensions please opine on whether or not it would be possible/practical to swap out the stock coilovers with aftermarket replacements* that were designed to provide a softer ride?

Let's say that the owner would be okay with trading off some of the handling performance, but not a dramatic degradation.

(*Assuming such a product was available. It looks like most aftermarket suspension components are aimed at making a car more sporty, not less, so this would appear to cut against the grain of the aftermarket industry. But since there will be tons of Model 3's hitting the roads in the next few years, and it seems like complaints about the harsh ride aren't all that uncommon, it seems at least plausible that some company would jump to offer something like this.)

11. Oregonian

Expand Collapse

Country
    Generally springs from aftermarket companies are made for a stiffer than factory ride for the purpose of better handling. To my knowledge there hasn't been a market for softer ride in the aftermarket suspension world. However if one was to find a car with the same size springs (top and bottom diameter with a similar resting height) that is lighter in weight than the model 3 it would offer a softer ride. But that's next to impossible to find without a vast selection at your fingertips. If someone was to find out what spring rate Tesla uses in the model 3 that would at least be a start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    The OP is the one who made and posted that video. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Russell

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    The model 3 that I drove was vin 33xx and it was very comfortable to me. Way smoother than my Mini Cooper and this was with the 19” sport wheels. I’m starting to wonder if they made a batch of these with firmer rides and then corrected it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Congratulations on reaching a million miles so quickly!
    ;)

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  15. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    I would (temporarily) try running them even lower, 30-35, just to see if it makes a noticeable difference. Most cars I've owned recommend 32psi, so I'm surprised that the Teslas are so much higher.
    I suppose you could just remove them. But softer springs would probably be a better choice, though I doubt you'd be able to find any such aftermarket parts just yet.

16. Maevra

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Lol oops! Didn’t make that connection! Thanks for enlightening me!

17. Jetson

Expand Collapse

Country
    #17 Jetson, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    One thing that should improve the ride is air suspension. That will be offered in the future. But Elon says it will be tied to the dual motor option. Anyone who has driven the Model 3 knows the car doesn't really need dual motors - unless you live in a place that needs all wheel drive. Also, when you factor in the price of dual motors, plus air suspension and current features you are looking at a price of about $70,000. It might be better to wait for the refreshed Model S.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Oregonian

Expand Collapse

Country
    That's 295.5 days of nonstop driving at max speed if anyone cares.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. malogus

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    #19 malogus, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    I tend to agree here. My guess is the 45 psi is maybe the max psi listed on the tire, not what it should be inflated to? Generally every car I have owned is 32-35, unless for some reason they run it so much higher to improve the fuel economy

EDIT: But now looking at the Tesla forums and 45 is generally the standard. Maybe because of the weight of the batteries too? Who knew!

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. jsmay311

Expand Collapse

Country
    Unless someone can come up with a technical reason why one couldn't/shouldn't swap out the stock coilovers for ones with lighter springs and/or less damping in the shocks, I don't see why an aftermarket suspension company wouldn't eventually offer a replacement kit.

(Given the shear number of Model 3's that will eventually be on the road, you'd only need a tiny percentage of owners to be interested in such a kit for it to make business sense for an aftermarket company to offer it.)

• Agree Agree x 2