Jail Break a Model 3 - Running Ubantu

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I'm not sure what was accomplished other than he had to disable Tesla sound. So no EAP audio? No stereo? No blinker clicks? What is the point? You can watch YouTube videos?

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If I had any kind of access to my car's filesystem (even read-only), I would spend waaaaaaay too much time poring through various configuration files, looking for clues about the car's behavior.

The JSON file that defines how voice input is interpreted and mapped to a command is a great example. From that one file, we know which actions can be initiated from the voice recognition system, and what specific phrase(s) we can speak to trigger each command. To my knowledge, this information is not documented anywhere else, at least not to this degree of nerdy detail. :cool:

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
my Q is

do we (owners) need to worry about this ... any thing Tesla needed to do on this to stop giving hints to other hackers ..on how to.

kort677

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
some feel the need to hack into the car and detail it's deepest processes. that is great and there are a few guys who are really top notch at working the code, they are so good at it that tesla has reached out to them for their input, but be aware that this sort of digging in deep into the car is not for the casual hacker, you could become the owner of a very expensive brick

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
do we (owners) need to worry about this ... any thing Tesla needed to do on this to stop giving hints to other hackers ..on how to.
Don't hand your keys and car over to someone you feel might hack it. Or steal it. ;)

babula

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
my Q is

I don't think Tesla is giving any hints to "hackers". This is a very normal thing that happens with any great product, Tesla has amazing engineers but this kind of tinkering might help patch up some holes.