Jeda Wireless Pad: First Wireless Phone Charger for Tesla

Discussion in 'Customizing & Modifications' started by Tesla Wireless Pad, Feb 8, 2018.

1. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I know others have received theirs, but yes for our forum I have received a prototype and final production unit.

As for shipping testing. I’m not 100% sure as I am not privy to that, but what I can tell you is that it’s not manufactured in the US, so when they say shipping testing I suspect they’re talking about the exchange in customs and then into final delivery. Mine got hung up at customs, so that’s likely something they’re trying to deal with.

I’ve seen all of the DIY options as well as the competitive products. I even did a DIY first. I promise this is worth the wait!

As a funny aside that is completely unrelated. USPS messes up my mail on a nearly daily basis. You could have fooled me that they’re been in the game so long ;)

2. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Better picture in daylight...

A9DCDAAA-C79C-4863-BF65-AD97ACC97139.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  3. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Earlier in the thread (here) I did a full review of the prototype unit. Now that I have the final production unit installed and have completed a drive with it, I wanted to refresh my review.

In the spirit of full transparency, I want to restate that I have no relation to Jeda Wireless Pad, will not profit from their sales, and simply happened to be in the right place at the right time by responding to a Tweet (below) offering to help the team in the early days. That help was primarily centered around testing power outputs of the various USB ports and 12V in Model 3 as well as testing charge rates my phone was seeing with my DIY wireless charging solution. For that I was offered a free final production unit!

Installation

Remove the rubber pad in the tray. Plug in 2 USB cables in the front side USB and feed them through the 2 openings in the tray. Connect the cables to the Jeda Wireless Pad and drop it into place. You’re done! The pad extends slightly through both openings so it protects the cables and drops right into place.

99FD3855-96F4-4EF8-BA2B-ABB6196F3FAF.jpeg

FDF878DB-7C96-4E2D-96A6-6A14D12CBB6F.jpeg

Ease of Use

The design is very smart and the contact area for charging against my iPhone X is huge. I essentially cannot drop the phone into a spot that doesn’t charge. There is a slightly raised ridge down the middle that serves as a guard rail of sorts. This allows you to drop the phone into place without looking every time.

Phone Movement

Short and simple — there is none! The mat has a “sticky” TPU material and even with spirited driving the phone doesn’t budge!

Fast Charging

iPhone 8/8+/X users rejoice, with a recent Tesla firmware update the front side USB now produces 7.5W which is the maximum that Apple supports on wireless fast charge.

For those with phones that can support beyond 7.5W, I did test the Jeda “Fast Charge” unit when I had the prototype and it works perfectly for anyone that doesn’t want to rip apart the dash to run the USB cable to the 12V in the center console.

Fit and Finish

In my original review, I mentioned that I was quite pleased with the prototype but the final production unit takes it to another level. It’s very clean and looks OEM through and through. It really just looks like the car should have come this way from the factory.

BE263B4B-F81F-4E47-86B5-A423A2DB9F11.jpeg

F044D91C-FDD4-486D-9226-5E71DC0E0C6A.jpeg

Final Verdict

I was fortunate enough to receive a free unit, but would not hesitate to buy one had I not received it for free. This replaces my previous “temporary” solution of 2 pucks on top of the OEM mat.

@Tesla Wireless Pad you guys knocked it out of the park!

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
  4. tfederov

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    This is exactly what I was looking for as far as real life pics and review. From the looks of that, I can still run a standard lightning cable to the right side as the only phone that does Qi in my house is mine and my wife can plug hers in from the passenger side.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    the Jedi is thicker than the stock mat though, so this may not work - certainly will not if that phone has a case on it (as people have complained they didn't have enough clearance with a case using the stock mat).

I'm sure @SoFlaModel3 will be willing to try this out sometime soon for those interested ;)

6. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Yeah I’ll play around with that and report back!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Skione65

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    #187 Skione65, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    @SoFlaModel3,

Great review! Thank you for taking the time. Afew Qs. Are you charging your IPhone X ‘naked’?:eek: Or with a case? My Wife and I both have Iohine Xs. However we both are running thin TPU cases on them. Mine alittle thicker than hers in a faux CF. Hers clear a silicone. I’m assuming the Jeda is sufficient to charge thru the case?
    I just started looking at this thread. What is the price on the unit from Jeda? And Shippng? I believe it comes from outside the US?

Edit: So I see charging ok up to 6mm case thickness. But recommended without of course.
    Also see $99 (without fast charging/$119 with fast charging). And Reservation holders get a $20 discount? Or is it only if you reserved or ‘pre-ordered’ the unit? Explanation on this?

Can you stream and charge simultaneously or is it just enough power to ‘maintain’ charge while streaming?

Can you also show us a Photo (for size spec) of your IPhone X on the mat?

Ski

8. aquadoggie

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Please do. This could be a deal breaker for me, as I have a 6 and my wife has an X. I suppose I could always use the back seat USB ports for mine.

9. The Big Bobowski

Expand Collapse

Country
    Have the same issue, though I'm the one with the X. Already pre-ordered this, so I guess my wife will have to charge her 6 on her own dang time, or get a new phone. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. LUXMAN

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Jeda says you can do exactly that on their website

11. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    but they also say the material is thicker, and people already have issues with the stock setup, so I don't see how it will work for anyone using a case.

12. LUXMAN

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    She will be able to use thr other side according to their site. But my wife always has her phone In Her hand like a 16 yr old so she uses my rear ports anyway

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. The Big Bobowski

Expand Collapse

Country
    Paging @SoFlaModel3 to garage for real-world testing, please. Thank you, have a nice day.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. LUXMAN

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Yeah. I’m just sayin.....we shall see soon enough if @SoFlaModel3 would stop messing around and get back to his real job....moderating for us and making YouTube videos!;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I don't know what is taking him so long... it is 5:09 on a friday in florida

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Skione65

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I think he’s (@SoFlaModel3 ) in ‘Margaritaville’ having a’Cheeseburger in Paradise’!!!:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Alright so I’m running an iPhone X with OEM leather case and my wife has an iPhone 8 with an Otterbox and both charge just fine. As for charge rate, well I haven’t used it that much with just the morning and afternoon commutes. The prototype didn’t “fast charge” so it wasn’t a good judge either. The final production unit definitely charges “fast”. On all drives I play music over Bluetooth and run Waze in the background for alerts. With that going on, I was still picking up a few percentage points over a short period of time. I’ll try for more scientific tests when time permits.

Also, pics as requested ;)

08E393E5-CAE9-474D-BBAD-5CB4410D1DDA.jpeg

25373FA8-F6AF-442C-9707-09885D006A25.jpeg

You guys are too funny. I told Trev and Eric as I missed the M3OC Podcast last night that contrary to popular belief I do have a life away from Tesla. That said, back to business! Ohh... I didn’t test this yet. The Jeda team included double sided small circular stickers to help keep the mat in place (side note not sure if the shipped units come with that or if they just gave it to me), but in any event I seated the thing with like 12 stickers :)

I’ll come around to lifting it and getting the definitive answer, but my gut feeling is that you won’t be able to “dock” a phone with the Jeda pad down. However even if you can’t, you can always run the USB cable around and charge the phone upside down on the pad or just drop it into the cubby.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. LUXMAN

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    But it says....

27CD727F-CE90-4C38-86FF-75CAF943E4C7.png

Ah...wait. They don’t exactly say that you can use the original rail. We use to call that quibbling.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I did just say my gut feeling, so let me confirm for sure.

Oh and also they’re using a standard lightning cable, so perhaps just pointing out you can fish the cable through and not use it as a docked cable.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Thinking about this more, it looks like that’s exactly what they’re saying. Use the wire rails and run the cable under the mat, but 99% sure you’re not docking your phone in that scenario. You’re just fishing the wire through the bottom on either side to make a hardwire connection while charging wirelessly on the other side. We already know it’s hard enough to dock a phone in a thick case so adding the thickness of the pad should mean a near certainty that you aren’t going to get a phone docked on top of the pad.