KCMO PPF, ceramic tinting?

Discussion in 'Customizing & Modifications' started by Travelwolf, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Travelwolf

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I know a good place over on the KS side to go to, but I absolutely despise driving in KS (it's a Missouri thing) and it is about 45 minutes from my house on a good day. Now with the highway down to 1 lane for a good mile of the trek, it tkes me over an hour.

Is anyone aware of or have they gone to anywhere on the Missouri side that did a good job with PPF, ceramic coating, or window tinting on their 3? (or even an S/X that they would trust to do a good job on the giant back window)

2. mdfraz

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Maybe you could share your KS tip, as I try to avoid driving to Missourah when possible ;)

3. Travelwolf

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    #3 Travelwolf, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
    I found 3 places, one was REALLY bad at returning calls (a bummer b/c he did a model 3 already so I would not be the 1st)- I had planned to go to him until communication was so bad. I'm just not ok with not being able to get a call back or talk to the person who has my baby for a week. The other 2 seemed to both be comparable and equally competent/experienced with Tesla but haven't done model 3's yet.

I went with a guy named Dex at KC Elite Car Care, if you go there tell him Valerie H with the blue model 3 sent you :) I will post pics when I get the car back, I take delivery Monday and am driving it straight over to Dex from there. He said it should be done by the end of the week.

http://www.kcelitecarcare.com/services/ceramic-coatings/

I am getting ceramic and window tinting. After talking to all three places I decided against the PPF b/c I don't want them to take anything off the car to do it (ie bumper, mirrors, handles, etc). They can do it without removal of parts, but I don't like to see the edges (even though it is clear). The ceramic has a guarantee (a couple levels based on varying # of layers) and if the paint gets damaged even with that (all have said only major things like hard door dings or rocks would damage it, you still wont get the swirls & get the water repellent while never waxing) I will just wrap the car later when it's not new anymore and it doesn't make me cringe to think about it being disassembled. I wanted green anyway. I MAY have gone ahead with it if I wasn't the first everywhere, IDK.

4. Travelwolf

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    ps- i ended up having to go with a Ks guy myself bc i couldnt find anyone on the missouri side that i trusted to do it. Apparently us back-woods folks in Missouri dont feel the need to take care of our cars. *eyeroll*

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. mdfraz

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Thanks for your reply and the info. And it's nicer over here on the Kansas side ;)

6. Travelwolf

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    bleh lol

7. Travelwolf

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    #7 Travelwolf, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    ok so FYI- the guys I went to will not do a full window tint for the back window. I asked around and most places wont. I finally had one place explain why, called to confirm with a second place. Both nationwide, 20+ years experience, do muscle cars and curved windows a lot.

The explanation: the curvature of the window is so dramatic that 1) the film wont hold the curvature without "stress cuts" being made at certain places throughout the window- and you "will likely see them as light spots" 2) without the stress cuts the film will peel and bubble within a year or 2 because the window glass flexes and the film does not. In normal windows this is not an issue, but when a large curvature is involved it causes peeling and bubbling. almost every time. They have learned this from years of doing VW, camaro, maserati, etc with large curves. This is also not covered by the warranty so it is your cost to replace it.

that said, I think I found a decent spot to stop the film- they cut it to stop on top of the highest "full" defroster line and I can't even see the film stop. There is a tiny amount of lighter above it b/c of the factory tint taper, but I see the same light part in pics of full window tint so I think it is an optical illusion. see attached.

FYI- to do the full window tint they also have to order a wider roll of film, this is what makes it more expensive but not the real reason they wont do it- just why it is more expensive.

the original partial tint is a few inches above the defroster lines (just above the final partial defroster) and is pic #8134, the dark line bothered me so i had it redone at the new line which is pic #8152 & I like it a lot better. someone else's pic of full tint is here. https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/learn-from-my-tinting-mistake.6009/#post-75108

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Travelwolf

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    also I will not be engaging in arguments with anyone about the information in the above post. (it took about 5 minutes to get attacked by someone in another thread for this). I simply felt that I needed to pass on the information I was given form multiple reputable installers, both local and nationwide. If it was just one place I would not think anything of it, which is why I went to or called several places to ask about it and had it confirmed.

If you still want to do it then more power to you, just get it in writing that your specific tint job is covered by the warranty/guarantee so you don't have a surprise down the road. Take it with a grain of salt and make up your own minds if it is worth the possible risk to you or not, to each his own. :) Now lets go out and enjoy our cars. :)

• Agree Agree x 4