1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Keyless Entry with smartphones

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Juergen, Sep 23, 2017.

More threads by Juergen
  1. Juergen

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Messstetten
    Country
    After reading the keycard manual I have a bad feeling. The range is about 9m for the communication between car and phone. That’s a lot! Unfortunately there also devices on the market called Bluetooth Repeater. You can expand the range vom 10m class 2 to 100m class 1. If receive the “bad guy” the bluetooth signal from my phone, he can open the car and drive away. This is happened some BMW owners with there’s cars to.
    Have Tesla one build in technic behind to prevent this? I think it’s safer to open and close the car by app or keycard.

Juergen

2. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    #2 SoFlaModel3, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Converting to feet for us ignorant Americans that is 29’ 6”.

I can’t imagine the car unlocking from that distance. Tesla must have a way to limit this...

EDIT: after reading through the key manual some more I take back my earlier note. It is quite possible the phone being within range will be an issue. For that reason, the phone is not the "only key". If your car is kept outside and your phone is within range (without interference) that may be an issue. We'll have to see what happens in the real world. For instance if you open the app and lock the doors but the phone never leaves the bluetooth field do the doors stay locked? I would think so...

3. green1

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    AZ
    Country
    And one thing I'm worried about is reconnection. Right now, the way Bluetooth works (on my Android phone, at least), if I walk far away from my Bluetooth connected headphone, and I loose connection, when I come back within range, it doesn't automatically reconnect. I have to manually reconnect. Would the M3 work like this? I know Wi-Fi always reconnect when you come back within range, but Bluetooth doesn't. Unless if there's a new Bluetooth version I'm unaware of

4. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I think that’s just your phone/headphones. Probably that headphones went into a power save mode when there was no active connection for “x” time.

The car will be actively searching for your phone.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Kizzy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      California, USA
      Tesla did provide a solution for that. You can disable the passive entry (auto unlock/lock) when your phone transitions between being in range. Then, you have to manually lock or unlock the car through the app (or key fob with S and X).

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Juergen

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Messstetten
        Country
        Thanks! I ask for a technical solution. The waves need about 100ns for a two way transmission on 50ft. They can measure the time what the signal need like a ping on the computer. Is it outside the window was expected, the Tesla disconnect and let the door closed. Maybe this is a hidden feature already.

• JWardell

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Boston
        Tesla Owner:
        Reservation
        Country
        It's a LOT more complex than that but nonetheless possible. Apple put a lot of effort into using both bluetooth and wifi to measure time of flight to determine where a device is in relationship to another, and use this when unlocking your computer when your watch is in front of it, also configuring devices like the appleTV from a very nearby phone. It's one of those things that will take a year or so of tweaking.
        Every other car I've had has a ton of bluetooth annoyances with disconnection, priority connection, connecting to a phone in the house instead of in the drivers seat, etc.
        The great thing about Teslas is they can and will continue to improve all the bluetooth features and performance, and your car just automatically updates with that new software. It boggles me why no other car manufacturer does this.

• Agree Agree x 4
        • arnis

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          near Tallinn
          Country
          #8 arnis, Sep 25, 2017
          Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
          Easy - have a timer that disables phone's Bluetooth for nighttime when we don't use our phones and re-enables before we leave.
          If I had to propose a fast solution I would not allow to pair if phone's gyro sensor detects phone is not moving.
          For example my phone will not ask for pattern again up to the point the phone has rested on a surface for around 5 seconds.
          Most of car thieves work during the nighttime when owner is asleep and vehicle is outdoors. If phone does not connect, can't extend signal.

There are many ways to protect with new software. Key fobs on the other hand are bricks that get old and never update.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • ummgood

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Austin
            Country
            The problem is you are assuming I want to shut off my bluetooth. If someone owns an apple watch they'll probably never want to shut it off.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • JWardell

Top-Contributor
              Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              Boston
              Tesla Owner:
              Reservation
              Country
              Agreed. I have 11 devices under my bluetooth list, including two smartwatches. I only turn off the bluetooth quickly when I want to reboot the bluetooth stack, which seems to fix a lot a problems with some BT things. I don't really understand why you would want to turn it off every night.

• Agree Agree x 2