Kick mats for the rear seat

Discussion in 'Customizing & Modifications' started by JML, Aug 27, 2018.

1. JML

JML
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Has anybody with kids, dogs, etc. installed kick mats on the back of the front seats of their Model 3? If so, can you let me know which ones, and how you like them?

For those who don't know, these are covers that usually hook to the headrest and base of the seat, to protect the back of the front seats from kicking feet. For example.

I see this question has been asked on some other forums, but there weren't many replies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ODub

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    in the market for these myself. i asked the shop that is doing my PPF if he thought the back plastic part could be wrapped and he said probably not. The texture of the plastic is too great and you would probably need to use a lot of adhesion promoter. So sadly the ugly kick mats are my only option. Seen plenty on amazon just not sure which one would fit best...

3. JML

JML
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I ended up buying this one, except a single pack, for $9, because it was on the shelf locally. It's just a piece of synthetic woven fabric with a wire around the edge so it holds its shape. There's a buckle strap on top and two elastic hooks on the bottom. The strap goes around the headrest easily enough, but there isn't much to attach the hooks to on the bottom.

Really, as long as it stays in place, it's probably good enough. It hasn't been kid tested yet. I'll post back after we take some longer rides in the next few days.
    20180905_142124.jpg

4. JML

JML
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    After a few days of use, the kick mat isn't great, but I don't see any others that will do better. The big problem is that my kid likes to put her feet under it from around the side, or put her feet up on the headrest. This is particularly bad when she's wearing her shitkickers. Other than a full seat cover, I don't know what will help. She's almost too big for the car seat, and I think most of the problem will go away when we switch to a booster seat.

5. justflie

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I'm in the market as well. Still pre-delivery so i have a bit of time. Keeping an eye on this for anyone's recommendations!

6. JustTheTip

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
  7. ronmis

Expand Collapse

Country
    #7 ronmis, Sep 13, 2018 at 12:30 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2018 at 6:16 AM
    I installed these for my model 3, they look very nice and work quite well

8. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Maybe this is asking too much, but would it not be a good time to teach that shoes do not go on seatbacks? Would be appreciated by all adults sitting in front of said kid on flights, in theaters, in stadiums, etc.

9. JML

JML
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Heh, kids don't work like that. I can put an MP3 on continuous repeat of me saying to keep your feet off the seat back, and it won't make a bit of difference. My kid has even lost shoe privileges before because she won't stop kicking, and that doesn't fix the problem, but at least bare feet can't do much damage. "In my day, kids learned not to behave like that" is a bit of selective memory. Kids have always been jerks.

Anyway, the main problem is that with a front facing car seat, the kid's legs are forward and up, so there isn't much place for feet to go except on the seat back. Once she's big enough to move to a booster seat, then she'll be sitting much further back in the seat, and her feet probably won't reach the front seat at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
Model 3 Owners Club © 2018. All rights reserved.
Model 3 Owners Club (M3OC) is an enthusiast club and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or the Tesla Motors Club Forum (TMC).
All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.