Large OTA downloads w/o updating software

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

glavewu

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got my car yesterday, but within 10 hours my car has downloaded over 3GB data over my home Wifi alone... There is no update and music are all streaming using LTE. I know V9 software is around the corner. Is that possible Tesla is downloading the software secretly so that when it is officially released, people can quickly install it which is a big plus for user experience? I'm just guessing lol

[mod edit: updated title, now that it seems more likely that these are map updates]

Last edited by a moderator:

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
All updates get downloaded "in the background" and sit in the car until the update is verified. By the time you get the notification in the car or on your app, the update has already been downloaded and is sitting there just waiting for you to hit go. So I don't know why V9 would be any different. There would be no reason to start downloading it well in advance, and in fact, I can think of many reasons why they wouldn't want it to, mainly because they will want to roll it out to a limited set of early people, and then there may be some patches and bug fixes. So the software will likely change anyway, so downloading it advance would simply be a waste of bandwidth.

glavewu

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the input. I just got my car yesterday... So what is the over 3GB download about? I don't think map cache can take over 3GB or any music, what is the car downloading?

Eli

Country
Country
Mine has been connecting to "daws.tesla.services" for hours last night. Apparently that server hosts map tile data used by autopilot.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got a 5.3GB download a couple of hours ago. Biggest yet, I think! No notification yet, but this seems like more than just maps...

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Could be updated map files, etc, but you never know, twas supposed to be this week. Another thread or two similar to this one I think as well.

What tool are you watching your network traffic with? I've got Fing, and Orbi, but neither are good at watching specific bandwidth.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No love for MB, just a bit of jealousy after learning of a sibling coming and you spending some time with the P this past weekend.