Latest Model 3 hit piece "review"

Discussion in 'Tesla Discussions' started by PNWmisty, Aug 26, 2018.

1. PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    The shorts are trying to dissuade new purchasers of the Model 3 by making it seem like a small, cheap, irrelevant car. The author of this disgraceful review appears to have some ties to a big media company that appears to specialize in being able to control public opinion and perception for a profit.

http://gtspirit.com/2018/08/22/tesla-model-3-review-no-future/

The review is laughable in its obvious bias and inaccuracy but I'm sure it will dissuade a few potential purchasers. I Googled the author ( Jens Meiners, who has a @hearst.com e-mail) and found he was connected to a company called "Prime Research" but that company was bought out early this year by a company called "Cision" that specializes in manipulating public opinion and perception (under the guise of "marketing" of course).

You can see that Meiners previously contributed to a report on the future of the automobile by Prime Research that appears to be an honest attempt at summarizing recent trends and expectations of automotive experts. The data presented is quite positive on Tesla, you can see it here:

https://issuu.com/globalautomotivetrends/docs/world_car_trends_2017

On the last page (#38) are the three contacts for the report (including Meiners). Here is the announcement of their buyout by Cision:

https://www.cision.com/us/about/new.../cision-completes-acquisition-prime-research/

Big things are underfoot, expect lots of FUD to dissuade people from buying Teslas. This is a critical time period in Tesla's growth.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Wow. You weren't kidding when you called it a hit piece. [​IMG]

This article doesn't even try to be "neutral". It didn't have a single good thing to say about the car. Any sentence that even hints at a compliment will end with an immediate rebuttal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Oh, it's basically a German car review website.
    That explains it too.
    Every other car review is of a German car (with one Peugeot thrown in).

4. PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    #4 PNWmisty, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Indeed, my favorite comment following the "review" was from a German who works in the auto industry. But a pragmatic, honest German who doesn't play favorites:

I think the fact that it's a German car review website is not the instigation behind this blatantly negative and obviously biased review, it was simply a convenient place to use (because no other reputable auto review site would publish such poor work). The added advantage is that it hides the true origin or reason the review exists in the first place. I wonder who owns the car? They probably borrowed/rented it from an unsuspecting happy owner.

As an amateur photographer, I can tell you they purposefully misadjusted the shadow balance on all the photos of the Model 3's exterior to create a "muddy" and unappealing look that doesn't exist on the photos in other reviews on the site. The photos are also blurry in a way that dissuades ones eyes from being drawn into the photo to admire the car. It's using the opposite techniques that a skilled marketer would use.

IMO, there is zero chance that this review is simply the work of someone who the car doesn't resonate with but a paid conspiracy to damage the brand. There are New York connections here and this piece is, IMO, likely the work of someone with a long-term short seller who doesn't want to cover until the price is under a certain price, probably below $200. And they think demand will dry up soon. This is their attempt to speed that along. Because it costs money to maintain an open short position and the longer it's open, the more they bleed.

Unfortunately, Tesla cannot sue for libel because it's mostly an opinion piece. But I think it might be productive to follow the money trail. Tesla could assist by identifying the car that was used (via the photos of the center screen, the timestamps and the map). If these propagandists are smart, and they probably are, this would be a dead-end. But it might be worth trying. People do get sloppy.

5. alpinebum1

Expand Collapse

Country
    My favorite part was his comment on excessive body roll. The M3 has about as much body roll as my Mini Cooper did, which is almost none. A totally BS review.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. babula

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Probably the most ridiculous car review I've ever read, the author was looking for any possible reason to bash the M3...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. pjfw8

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Electric cars are inevitable, even if the Model 3 is a footnote. I hope the German press has noticed that Model 3 now outsells all BMW passenger cars combined, but perhaps they are also footnotes. This review is a laughable hit-piece!

• Agree Agree x 2
Model 3 Owners Club © 2018. All rights reserved.
Model 3 Owners Club (M3OC) is an enthusiast club and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or the Tesla Motors Club Forum (TMC).
All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.