Leaving car with shop for a day, question on the car key

stlgrym3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ll be leaving my Model 3 with a shop for windows tinting and chrome delete. The work will take almost an entire day. My plan is to leave them my card key and then Uber home. How secure if leaving shop my card key? Is there a valet feature which they can only access certain necessary function of the car? A lot of my personal info is stored in my Tesla account, is there a way to block people access my Tesla account via the touchscreen? Any overall etiquette to watch for when leaving your Tesla with other people?

AutopilotFan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, you can put your car into Valet mode! Go look under Driver Profiles (the icon next to the Tesla logo) and select Valet Mode. You'll set a PIN to lock it in.

You can read all about it in the Owner's Guide. It's on page 35 on the PDF I have.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is no access of any kind to your Tesla account from your car. Put it in valet mode, this will lock the glove box and hide your home address in the Navigation.

Karl Sun

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Valet mode also locks the front trunk.

MAKE SURE they do NOT leave the key card in the car and close the door(s).

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Valet mode also locks the front trunk.

MAKE SURE they do NOT leave the key card in the car and close the door(s).
And if they do some way get it locked in there - do not try to unlock it themselves, just call you so can remotely unlock it for them in 20 seconds.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
when i drop off the car with the shop and enable valet mode, do i leave the key card inside the car or give it to him? should i disable the walk away locking feature if i leave the key card inside the car?

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
We normally give them the valet key them and don’t lock it inside because they have no way to get it out if you do lock the car.

If you don’t then anyone can drive off with your car. Good luck!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Depending on what work you're having done, keep in mind that Valet mode also prevents access to the Frunk. If you (well, not the OP since they're having tinting and chrome delete done ), or anyone else reading this thread is having PPF or Ceramic Coating applied, then the shop will want to be able to open the Frunk, which they can't do if the car is in Valet mode.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Depending on what work you're having done, keep in mind that Valet mode also prevents access to the Frunk. If you (well, not the OP since they're having tinting and chrome delete done ), or anyone else reading this thread is having PPF or Ceramic Coating applied, then the shop will want to be able to open the Frunk, which they can't do if the car is in Valet mode.
Though if they call you, you can open it for them from wherever you are. :)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Though if they call you, you can open it for them from wherever you are. :)
Agreed, but not always convenient or practical, depending on what one is doing at the time. Surgeon to Operating Room staff: "Excuse me, could you please keep the patient stable for a couple minutes? I need to scrub out and open the Frunk on my Tesla" :D Or, "Sorry I couldn't open the Frunk sooner, but I was at 30,000 feet between Chicago and LA. o_O OK, extreme examples and no I'm not a surgeon or a pilot. But I can see holding up the shop's work for a couple hours while I'm stuck doing something where I really can't be messing with my phone. As with everything, it's a trade-off of security/peace-of-mind vs. convenience. Each person will have a solution that works best for them. I take your point.

Gunn

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd do both, speed limit and valet as people have said that the valet locks areas and the speed will stop them from joyriding (tho I'm sure I read somewhere that valet mode also does this).

Whenever I leave my 3 with someone, I have a personalized holder for the card (so they know it's mine) and I put the drivers window down. If the car does lock then they can reach in and open the door (thanks to my local Tesla center for that tip, they always ask for the window down and leave the card in the center console).

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
since Rolotech is going to access the trunk i won't be able to set it in valet mode tomorrow. but i will set the speed limiter. can they access my credit card info on my Tesla account through the touchscreen without being in valet mode?