LED Headlights

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

Model 3 LED headlights. Love em, hate em?

• Total voters

TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Anyone else thankful that Tesla is going with LED headlights on the Model 3? I love the design and I'm glad they're going with a unique look for the DRL instead of the ubiquitous "eye liner" design everyone else is using. Skate where the puck is going I guess ;)

VKR0ldZ.jpg ZYdkgA6.jpg

Reggie

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I agree. I love that the M3 is using LED lights and that the design is different. It's one of the reasons why I purchased the Cadillac that I have (the LED headlamps aren't the eyebrow looking things that most cars use) and what makes it somewhat unique in the industry. It's also what turns heads. Glad to see Tesla making bold moves and coming up with unique design language.

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Anyone else thankful that Tesla is going with LED headlights on the Model 3? I love the design and I'm glad they're going with a unique look for the DRL instead of the ubiquitous "eye liner" design everyone else is using. Skate where the puck is going I guess ;)

View attachment 25 View attachment 26
TrevP,

LOVE them! Unbelievable Styling. Extremely "Eyecatching and Edgy"..... Nothing like them on the road right now. Some of these new DRL's on cars are trying to be so edgy and different but come across as embarrassingly cheesy and just 'cheap' looking. These are anything BUT that. Super Rich.....Classy... ~Strictly Tesla~

Ski

TSLAholic

Country
Country
I also happen to always remain aware that HID bulbs do not like being turned on and off before getting a chance to heat up to proper temps. I actually hesitate flashing my high beams to signal other drivers if my headlights aren't already on, knowing the bulbs are expensive to replace should one go out as a result. I do love the relative simplicity of LED lights with their instant on capability, and great efficiency. HID's were very efficient for their time as the output far exceeded Halogens, yet used only 35 watts of power once warmed up instead of the standard 55 watts that the Halogens required. HIDs are also still the best option when it comes to ambient light coverage (wide light dispersion). I can't wait to see how the adaptive LED headlights compare with adaptive HIDs.

HanSolo

I also happen to always remain aware that HID bulbs do not like being turned on and off before getting a chance to heat up to proper temps. I actually hesitate flashing my high beams to signal other drivers if my headlights aren't already on, knowing the bulbs are expensive to replace should one go out as a result. I do love the relative simplicity of LED lights with their instant on capability, and great efficiency. HID's were very efficient for their time as the output far exceeded Halogens, yet used only 35 watts of power once warmed up instead of the standard 55 watts that the Halogens required. HIDs are also still the best option when it comes to ambient light coverage (wide light dispersion). I can't wait to see how the adaptive LED headlights compare with adaptive HIDs.
I have often wondered the difference between LED and HID. I know that my Toyota has LED's which I find very disappointing. They are fine when dry, but really useless when it is raining at night. This is my first experience with LED headlights and it feels like they are white colored halogens as I drive at night. I have owned mostly HID's in the past and have always been sad when a car I bought did not have the ability to be equipped with them. Of my previous vehicles, my Lincoln MKT and the old Honda S2000 had by far the best lighting.

HanSolo

What could possibly cause that? What are you seeing?

Thank you kindly.
Nothing which is the problem. I cannot tell they are on. Maybe I have been spoiled by some of the factory HID systems I had in past vehicles which I swore could be seen from the sky. The Lincoln MKT for example could light up entire rural highways late at night through dangerous mountain passes in Alaska.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@HanSolo maybe it's the toyota's LED color temp. if they are too cool (above 6000k +/-), the visual efficiency starts to drop dramatically.
Like when all the aftermarket HID kits showed up and some (ricers) thought it looked cool to have the blue/purple color. But they are all but useless to actually see, and worse in the rain.

One of my cars has 5000k HID headlights (lows, halo in the highs but rarely use them) and 3000k fogs. I've never had issue seeing with the low beam 5000k HIDs, but adding the 3000k fogs highlights things on the shoulder you couldn't see just with the headlights.

HanSolo

@HanSolo maybe it's the toyota's LED color temp. if they are too cool (above 6000k +/-), the visual efficiency starts to drop dramatically.
Like when all the aftermarket HID kits showed up and some (ricers) thought it looked cool to have the blue/purple color. But they are all but useless to actually see, and worse in the rain.

One of my cars has 5000k HID headlights (lows, halo in the highs but rarely use them) and 3000k fogs. I've never had issue seeing with the low beam 5000k HIDs, but adding the 3000k fogs highlights things on the shoulder you couldn't see just with the headlights.
They look fine when dry, but are useless when wet. I believe the color temps are all within regulations and visually appear to be between 4200-5200

Badback

Valued Community Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
One of the issues with "white LEDs" is that they are not actually white. Most designs combine a blue LED which also makes some UV and a yellow phosphor. Blue+yellow=white. But they are not full spectrum like sunlight. Even if you use RGB LEDs to make white, some portions of the spectrum are missing. So, some individuals may not perceive the light as the same as sunlight.

HanSolo

With my Toyota, I think it is just the implementation. To be honest, I do not get why manufacturers are getting a CAFE mileage credit for implementing LED headlamps onto their cars when it is far more expensive while only using marginally less power than Xenon HID's.

samson

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does model 3 have 2 DRL's Top and bottom?

It looks like there is a large teardrop light integrated and one line in the bottom along with a small square light which i assume is the fog lights.

Any thoughts.( excuse my shabby hand writing)
drl.JPG

ModFather

old CARmudgeon
Country
Country
Can't answer your question Samson, but I think the day is drawing nigh when DRLs are passe, superfluous, and a relic of the past because of FSD. I do like the simplicity of the tm3 DRL above the headlight. It is just silly to see all the swoops, gewgaws. and other nonsense in DRLs as one manufacturer tries to outdo the other.

Last edited:

SSonnentag

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I noticed that the NHTSA rates the Model S headlights as "poor." I'd be curious for someone that has experience with driving a Gen 2 Volt at night to give an objective comparison to the Model S lighting.

Thanks

theishu

Dream Car Unlocked
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

View attachment 25 View attachment 26
Can't really judge until I see them in person. As to the 'eyeliner' design, I've seen some manufacturers take it to the ugliest extremes, but I personally L!O!V!E! the Model S design. Not seeing it on the Model 3 was the biggest disappointment to me, which I'm still struggling to get over. There are days when I see a Model S with the daylight driving lights on, and my heart skips a beat. It's so beautiful! I can't count how many times I've done the affordability math in my head, to drop the Model 3 and go for the S instead. Sigh!

TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Can't really judge until I see them in person. As to the 'eyeliner' design, I've seen some manufacturers take it to the ugliest extremes, but I personally L!O!V!E! the Model S design. Not seeing it on the Model 3 was the biggest disappointment to me, which I'm still struggling to get over. There are days when I see a Model S with the daylight driving lights on, and my heart skips a beat. It's so beautiful! I can't count how many times I've done the affordability math in my head, to drop the Model 3 and go for the S instead. Sigh!
They look amazing in person. Very fresh, modern and distinctive. I think they will be just as identifiable as a Model S from a distance.

samson

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They look amazing in person. Very fresh, modern and distinctive. I think they will be just as identifiable as a Model S from a distance.
I made this post today in model 3 official watch. any thoughts on this

It looks like there is a large teardrop light integrated and one line in the bottom along with a small square light which i assume is the fog lights.

Any thoughts.( excuse my shabby hand writing)
View attachment 1938