1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Lining up at the local showroom or going online?

Discussion in 'Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by TrevP, Mar 8, 2016.

More threads by TrevP
  1. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Staff Member Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    Just curious if anyone is going to perhaps consider going to a local showroom early to line up on the 31st or just wait to place an order online on April 1st?

For vehicle requirements of early 2018 as I'm turning in my lease in April I'm going to show up early to place a deposit. If only to try and get an early reservation number but Tesla being Tesla, I'm also planning on configuring a well-optioned car as they will be placed in the queue as early as possible.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. livailecifts

Expand Collapse

I'm seriously considering getting in early on the 31st. How much preference do you think they will give people buying extra options vs. people buying base models early on the 31st? The main reason I want to do it the 31st is to get my order in at the top of the list. But if my base model order will just get pushed back behind all the people getting more expensive options from, say, the rest of that entire week, then maybe there is no point...

3. TrevP

Staff Member Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    Elon has stated that like their others cars, initial Model 3 production will be geared towards "heavily optioned cars":

He said this during the Q4 earnings call:
    “Our default plan as we have done in the past is that the initial sales are relatively highly optioned versions of the car, because we’ve got to pay back the investment of the tooling and everything, so it makes sense to have the higher optioned versions first. That’s what we did with the S and obviously again with the X.”

Here's the link if you want to listen to it: (fast forward to 46:30)
    http://edge.media-server.com/m/p/nswqxjz3

4. Rob_

Expand Collapse

I won't be one of the first, but I expect to place my deposit in a showroom.

5. Canuck

Expand Collapse

I will be Lining up. Just can't wait.

6. EV_Future

Expand Collapse

IT
    City & State/Province:
    Ontario, Canada
    I'll likely take a half day off work to be there :)

7. Andreas Stephens

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Sydney Australia
    Perhaps a somewhat belated response - I only discovered this forum today - but my answer is obviously the showroom, and I actually lined up 49 hrs in advance. I feel this is history in the making and I want to be part of that. I also wanted to show my son that this is something very very important. I strongly believe that these cars will make a difference in the fight against climate change. I then worked it backwards... How long do crazy people typically line up for other consumer goods? I would have waited a week, just to make a point, but knowing that I could not sleep, I thought 2 days is my realistic maximum. Then I read a few stories suggesting teenagers probably max out at 24 hrs prior to new iPhone launches. Still, my most anxious moment came when I turned the corner at the local Tesla showroom just before 7:00am on Tuesday morning - luckily no one else was there. The next anxious moments came when people started congratulating me on day 1 for being "First in Line" - at that stage I was not sure if I would last the distance.

By the way, I am not fussed by either Model S owners or people ordering heavily optioned cars getting delivery before me. Good on them!!! Like them, I just want to see Tesla succeed so our children live in a cleaner and quieter world!

• Like Like x 2
    • TrevP

Staff Member Founder
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Aurora,Ontario
      Country
      That was you!? Wow, dedicated man you are. Congratulations. I've been waiting for this car for a long time myself. We could technically afford a Model S but felt that it was best to wait for the third generation as technology was going to get better, Tesla would have a better handle on quality control and really solidly develop their systems.

History indeed. Model 3 is a monumental shift for the industry.

• Brandon Duke

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      St. Louis, MO
      So I know that Musk said that production preference would be giving to those with more options but based on the reservation form, how would that happen? I didn't see anything about which options I would want. After reading through most of his twitter AMA, preference will be based on region and then reservation order. Do you think the plan would be to open up everybody to configuration orders, then build out the more optioned cars?

• TrevP

Staff Member Founder
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Aurora,Ontario
      Country
      You won't know what the options are until they open the web configurator next year. You will be invited based on your geographical area and sequence to chose your options. Then it goes into the big bit bucket at Tesla and they use that information to schedule production. I don't pretend to know the inner workings but that's how it works with Model S and X.

Give them time, they're still reeling from the preorders and they're scrambling to figure out how they're going to build all these cars...

More details will follow from Musk when he feels like sharing. Twitter is the best place to learn since he's the grand poobah there and tells the world instead of using their communications team, much to their chagrin :)

Financial calls are also a great place to glean information since management gets asked point-blank what their plans are. They don't always answer though.

Tesla, as you will learn, is a very secretive company just like Apple.

• Like Like x 2
      • Model 3 lover

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        PA, USA
        I went online, but now is kind of regard. Because there will be a special gift for people lining up up at the local showrooms. :(

• Jane

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Albany, NY
        I lined up prior to store opening on 3/31; can't wait for the little gifts. What fun!