1. A meet-up for Toronto Reservation Holders to discuss Model 3 and all things Tesla has been arranged for April 10th

Please visit the link below and RSVP so we know how many to expect. Thanks for your feedback!
    Toronto Model 3 Reservation Holders Spring Meet-up Thread
  2. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Listening to a CD in a Tesla; what's possible

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Mike, Aug 26, 2016.

More threads by Mike
  1. Mike

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Batawa Ontario
    Country
    I'm one of those "old guys " that listens to uncompressed music files on a CD while in my Prius.....

I understand that no Tesla product will ever have a CD player as part of the factory stereo system.

When I buy my Model 3, I will not contemplate having to modify the factory stereo system with any aftermarket stereo solution.

I want to continue to listen to uncompressed music files in my future Tesla product.

Assuming I'm not computer tech savvy and I am stuck in the 80s, music playback technology wise.....

.....what can I do to capture uncompressed CD albums and have them play through a modern Tesla stereo system?

Thanks.

2. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    @Mike there are lots of lossless encoders our there you can use to rip music in wav files and drop them onto a USB key which the Tesla will gladly play for you.

You can also stream over bluetooth from a phone if you like which is my preferred method.

I did see someone plug in a USB floppy drive into the Tesla USB port and it worked! I haven't checked to see if a USB cdrom drive would work though.

3. Mike

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Batawa Ontario
    Country
    Thanks for the information.
    I don't have a smartphone and I've read at other sites that bluetooth itself will compress a signal, so I'm not going to plan on that technique.
    The idea of putting a CD (wav files) onto a USB drive sounds like something that should be pretty straight forward. I don't need a 1000 albums on one stick, just a few favorites (when the Sirius XM becomes repetitive).
    On a side note: I bought a lifetime subscription to Sirius radio almost, I think, 10 years ago. When the time comes, I will move my old-school Sirius radio, cradle and antenna over to the Model 3......hoping there will still be an aux input available.
    Thanks again, cheers.

4. teslaliving

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    There's no AUX input on the Model S. USB is the only way to get music into the car other than the built in apps (I hope there will be more of those options by the time the 3 comes out)

5. Mike

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Batawa Ontario
    Country
    OK, thanks for the heads up. Cheers.

6. Mark C

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Arab, AL
    I plan to mourn the loss of a CD player for a time and then have my daughter teach me how to search out the music from the USB thumb drive in order to play what I'm in the mood to hear.

Technology is great, it's the learning curve that gets frustrating. {I still remember the massive boxes we used to put in the back floorboard of the car that held a couple dozen 8 track tapes and how great it was to go to cassettes, then CD's.}

• Like Like x 1
  7. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Country
    I've not used Slacker Radio, but understand it plays songs or full albums on demand, so seems to me functions as well but better than carrying around your own CDs if you would be playing a CD in its entirety. USB would be a great option if one has iTunes playlists they want to travel with and opposed to using an iPhone over Bluetooth.

[​IMG]

8. teslaliving

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Unfortunately, the USB music player got much worse in Tesla 8.0. Hoping they fix it by 8.1. The USB player has had a long history of issues to the point that I rarely use it. I do, however, like Slacker and the ad-free music you get for free. I listen to that or podcasts or audible (both over Bluetooth from my phone).

9. Badback

Valued Community Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Prior Lake, MN
    Country
    I'm disappointed that I won't be able to play my collection of 78s in the M≡.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Southern California, Most of the time...
    Country
    We're all basing what the Model 3 will have based on S and X... Who knows, they might integrate a turntable that plays 78 on the car as a "special" upgrade...

...in an alternate universe perhaps.:p

11. Badback

Valued Community Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Prior Lake, MN
    Country
    Will the price of the car be lower in the alternate universe? Is the alternate universe like the 60s?

12. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Southern California, Most of the time...
    Country
    Yes... in some alternate universes it will be cheaper, and in others it will be more expensive.

13. NV Rick

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Southern Nevada
    Just use your gramophone. With autopilot you won't have any trouble cranking it to keep it going. (Or are you one of those young fellers who only has them there electrically gizmos?)

14. Badback

Valued Community Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Prior Lake, MN
    Country
    Electrically? Definitely. My sarcasm is in response to the unnecessary angst regarding the lack of a CD player. There are multiple ways to play music into any system that has a USB port. I have a portable CD player, Sony Walkman as I recall, that could be hooked up with a simple adapter. But why bother when Flash memory is so cheap.

15. NV Rick

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Southern Nevada
    I'm hoping that you took my comment as just humor. Reading your response has me slightly confused as to purpose. (But then again, I'm not the sharpest 69 year old knife in the drawer.) I agree with you about flash memory. I have a large number of songs plugged into my MKZ hybrid. I don't even know if the cd player works!

16. Badback

Valued Community Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Prior Lake, MN
    Country
    The CD player slot in my Beetle is a very convenient mounting place for my Garmin.

• Like Like x 1