Locking behavior without using “Walkaway Lock” or keycard

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging until March 11 2019 all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • Join @TrevP for Cars and Coffee in South Florida on Feb 3rd! More details here.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So if walk up unlock is selected, you couldn't press the handle and open the car unless you were nearby with your phone. But if it is not selected, you still have to have your phone to open the door. So either way you have to be near your car with the phone to open it. And if you were near enough to the car while in the office with the phone, it may auto unlock and someone can just open it. Either way it is the same. Have to be near enough with phone. and either it auto unlocks or you have to press the handle. So if you had it not selected and were in the office, someone walking by could try the handle and open it if you were close enough. So in a public setting like that you would have to turn off BT

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So either way you have to be near your car with the phone to open it.
Yes. The question is, "how close"?

Is it just "bluetooth range", which can be several hundred feet? Or will it use some other mechanism to make sure that the phone is within a foot or two of the door handle?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Someone should test that.

I would *hope* that the car would somehow confirm that the phone is within a foot or so of the handle. I know my Leaf won't unlock if I'm on one side of the car (with the key in my pocket), and my son tries the handle on the other side of the car.
I'd say this calls for @SoFlaModel3 to take a break from work and go try it out ;)
I park so far away lol, but just for you guys. Give me a few minutes to provide testing results :)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok here are the results!

First with Walk Up Unlock on

4B9630D3-4837-4293-96CA-5916BE97E804.jpeg

I approach the car and the mirrors unfold and doors unlock. I don’t open the door and walk away and the mirrors fold and doors lock again.

Now with Walk Up Unlock off

A1063D1E-E27E-42E7-8299-0B7A7F26E428.jpeg

On approach the mirrors stay folded in. I push in the door handle and the door opens and the mirrors simultaneously unfold.

End result, thanks for the conversation as I’m going to stick with this. The whole dance of unlock / re-lock was a bit maddening. I really don’t need the doors to unlock before I’m ready to touch the handle anyway. If I did, that’s what the app is for anyway. The only thing that could get me to turn back on Walk Up Unlock would be if I find that after a deeper sleep that door doesn’t unlock right away upon pressing the handle, or if it becomes a pain for my wife if she’s consistently getting to the car before me and her door doesn’t unlock until I touch my door handle. Time will tell on that one (I’ll provide some insights this afternoon after the car sits dormant for another 5 hours).

Hmm... may have just talked myself into going back to Walk Up Unlock being on ;)

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok here are the results!

View attachment 6206

I approach the car and the mirrors unfold and doors unlock. I don’t open the door and walk away and the mirrors fold and doors lock again.

View attachment 6207

On approach the mirrors stay folded in. I push in the door handle and the door opens and the mirrors simultaneously unfold.

End result, thanks for the conversation as I’m going to stick with this. The whole dance of unlock / re-lock was a bit maddening. I really don’t need the doors to unlock before I’m ready to touch the handle anyway. If I did, that’s what the app is for anyway. The only thing that could get me to turn back on Walk Up Unlock would be if I find that after a deeper sleep that door doesn’t unlock right away upon pressing the handle, or if it becomes a pain for my wife if she’s consistently getting to the car before me and her door doesn’t unlock until I touch my door handle. Time will tell on that one (I’ll provide some insights this afternoon after the car sits dormant for another 5 hours).

Hmm... may have just talked myself into going back to Walk Up Unlock being on ;)
I think the WALK UP UNLOCK off is the way to go. I will be interested to see your results later today!
Thanks for doing that

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok here are the results!

View attachment 6206

View attachment 6207

also, what is the distance away the phone can be and have the walkup-unlock/press the handle work? if your phone is within BT range, but say 15 feet away, will press-the-handle-to-unlock work (PTHTU)? is it only the driver handle that unlocks the car?

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You need to repeat this experiment with the following variables:
  1. Phone in your pocket.
  2. Phone on the opposite side of the car.
  3. Phone sitting two yards away
  4. Phone sitting 50 yards away
Basically, find out how close the *phone* needs to be in order to unlock the car door.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You need to repeat this experiment with the following variables:
  1. Phone in your pocket.
  2. Phone on the opposite side of the car.
  3. Phone sitting two yards away
  4. Phone sitting 50 yards away
Basically, find out how close the *phone* needs to be in order to unlock the car door.
Now you're talking. Will test in about 3 hours!

is it only the driver handle that unlocks the car?
Will test this as well!

skygraff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nice scientific method work.

Don't forget to check the other doors and trunk with walk up unlock off (whether or not the phone is on the person touching the entry point). Guessing the trunk would be a biggy for people doing errands or other trunk-first situations.

However, I agree that the app is ideal for that and could even be triggered before leaving the "store" and before hands are full since it wouldn't pop open and you'd still need a hand to unlatch the trunk anyway. Might be nice if Tesla came up with a proximity or timed trunk-pop vs those toe wave sensors on the fancy mini-vans.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok guys here is the definitive testing.

In all tests “Walk Up Unlock” = off

Forget being “far away”, if the phone is literally on the floor next to a door and you press the handle the door won’t open (even if you check the app and it says “Phone Key Connected”).

So far so good!

Now a step further, with the phone in your pocket each door and the rear trunk can be opened! Once one door is opened, all are unlocked.

Again so far so good!

Now place the phone on the roof of the car, all doors and the trunk can be opened. Last test (expands on the roof idea), I propped up the phone at pocket height near the driver’s door and all other doors and the trunk could be opened as well.

I think we have a big winner here!!!

Last edited:

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Forget being “far away”, if the phone is literally on the floor next to a door and you press the handle the door won’t open (even if you check the app and it says “Phone Key Connected”).
So far so good!
Now a step further, with the phone in your pocket each door and the rear trunk can be opened! Once one door is opened, all are unlocked.
Again so far so good!
Now place the phone on the roof of the car, all doors and the trunk can be opened. Last test (expands on the roof idea), I propped up the phone at pocket height near the driver’s door and all other doors and the trunk could be opened as well.
Thanks for testing all of this!

Sorry I'm a little late to this party, but I have a couple of questions about Walk Away Lock:

1. Do we have an idea of how far away your phone has to be from the car in order for Walk Away Lock to activate? Is it approximately the same distance as Walk Up Unlock, or is it shorter/longer? Ballpark measurement?

2. Is phone distance the only factor that triggers Walk Away Lock, or is there a timing element as well? (e.g., distance > X AND time since door closed > T; time since door closed > T regardless of distance, etc. )

You've mentioned you're a distance runner, so feel free to turn the testing process for #2 into speed drills or a fartlek workout, either of which will amuse/confuse your family and/or neighbors, I'm sure. :)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for testing all of this!

Sorry I'm a little late to this party, but I have a couple of questions about Walk Away Lock:

1. Do we have an idea of how far away your phone has to be from the car in order for Walk Away Lock to activate? Is it approximately the same distance as Walk Up Unlock, or is it shorter/longer? Ballpark measurement?

2. Is phone distance the only factor that triggers Walk Away Lock, or is there a timing element as well? (e.g., distance > X AND time since door closed > T; time since door closed > T regardless of distance, etc. )

You've mentioned you're a distance runner, so feel free to turn the testing process for #2 into speed drills or a fartlek workout, either of which will amuse/confuse your family and/or neighbors, I'm sure. :)
I’m glad to help everyone!

Ok so this may be a trickier test. When washing the car and having my phone in the garage for music, I found the car would constantly lock and unlock. Let me play around with how best to try to test this one!

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

So far so good!

Again so far so good!

Awesome! Thanks for doing this! Very useful information.

I'd still like to see someone figure out the range. With someone holding the phone at pocket height, how far away can you be from the car and be able to unlock it.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m glad to help everyone!

Ok so this may be a trickier test. When washing the car and having my phone in the garage for music, I found the car would constantly lock and unlock. Let me play around with how best to try to test this one!
Okay, since you are testing all variables here I have a request. With "Walk Up Unlock" = off, if I need to get in the car quickly (heavy rain etc) and I run up to the car with the phone in my pocket, is the door going to open or do I have to wait longer than I would with "Walk Up Unlock"=on?? I'd be curious if the connection takes longer one way or another.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Awesome! Thanks for doing this! Very useful information.

I'd still like to see someone figure out the range. With someone holding the phone at pocket height, how far away can you be from the car and be able to unlock it.
Okay, since you are testing all variables here I have a request. With "Walk Up Unlock" = off, if I need to get in the car quickly (heavy rain etc) and I run up to the car with the phone in my pocket, is the door going to open or do I have to wait longer than I would with "Walk Up Unlock"=on?? I'd be curious if the connection takes longer one way or another.
Ahhh more homework!!

@garsh you’re right I tested distance and height, but not distance and height together. I’ll get it done!

@Mike Land good question! I think the answer is that it’s the same, but I’ll try to test for this. The phone connects to the car at distance either way. If the car is in deeper sleep, you’d likely have the same delay. Now if I was running to my car in the rain, I would open the app in advance (ensures the car wakes up) and then you know for sure it will instantly work on your approach.

skygraff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Great stuff!!

With the floor, roof, pocket level tests, did you have location services turned on in your phone or was it all just sensed by the BT? If you did have location turned on, would you be willing to try it turned off?

(had some conflicting reports and none from different positions)

If it's not worth your time, I'll test it in a few weeks (I hope)!

Dogwhistle

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think I’ll just leave both functions turned off. Press the lock icon when I need to lock it, press the door handle when I need to unlock it. Easy way to keep it unlocked in the garage, and no flitting back and forth.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

So far so good!

Again so far so good!

thank you!!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Great stuff!!

With the floor, roof, pocket level tests, did you have location services turned on in your phone or was it all just sensed by the BT? If you did have location turned on, would you be willing to try it turned off?

(had some conflicting reports and none from different positions)

If it's not worth your time, I'll test it in a few weeks (I hope)!
Sure this test is easy. All previous tests included Location Services On.

First I turned off location services. Then I went into the Tesla app and confirmed location was Never (this is automatic when you hit the global setting).

2E60AAEA-9EA8-45B3-9D10-002464538E13.jpeg

As soon as I went in my garage the car started “making noises”. Check the Tesla app and you can see Phone Key is “Connected”

52CF53EA-0E40-4C3E-910E-350B1008A6AC.jpeg

And finally push in on any door handle and the door unlocked instantly and opened.

I think I’ll just leave both functions turned off. Press the lock icon when I need to lock it, press the door handle when I need to unlock it. Easy way to keep it unlocked in the garage, and no flitting back and forth.
That works for home, but for everyday use Walk Away Lock is still going to be very nice!

You’re welcome and thanks for the ideas!!