Lockout

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

webdriverguy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi Guys,

Today at the grocery store I met a women with a Tesla model 3 who was essentially locked out of the car. She left her phone and both key cards in the frunk. I helped her with a phone call and told her to get in touch with tesla roadside assistance.

Just out of curiosity since the car has LTE they can remotely unlock the car for her correct? Just want to know this for my knowledge.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi Guys,

Today at the grocery store I met a women with a Tesla model 3 who was essentially locked out of the car. She left her phone and both key cards in the frunk. I helped her with a phone call and told her to get in touch with tesla roadside assistance.

Just out of curiosity since the car has LTE they can remotely unlock the car for her correct? Just want to know this for my knowledge.
how did she lock the door in the first place, if the phone was still within the car? manually hit the lock icon on the screen?

webdriverguy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
how did she lock the door in the first place, if the phone was still within the car? manually hit the lock icon on the screen?
I have no Idea what she did. As I was pulling in I saw her trying to open doors of her car and it wont open. Then she told me that she left her phone and both key cards in the frunk.

John

Tech Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You also could have bought a 9V battery in the grocery store and opened her frunk for her.
Just saying.

webdriverguy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You also could have bought a 9V battery in the grocery store and opened her frunk for her.
Just saying.
Now i know this as well just saw the video
does this mean anyone can open your frunk? This cant be good

Last edited by a moderator:

webdriverguy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
originally (maybe it has changed, or just wasn't communicated correctly way back), this would only work if the 12v battery was dead.
I thought the same @MelindaV but as I was going through the comments on the video the guy who made it said the battery was still functional. Hope this is fixed in a software update. Also the video is 5 months old so it might be fixed already.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
originally (maybe it has changed, or just wasn't communicated correctly way back), this would only work if the 12v battery was dead.
That's how it was documented to work.

However, when Tesla started delivering cars and somebody tested it, they found that it still worked even if the 12v was still functional. Which unfortunately means that the frunk is not secure storage.

webdriverguy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's how it was documented to work.

However, when Tesla started delivering cars and somebody tested it, they found that it still worked even if the 12v was still functional. Which unfortunately means that the frunk is not secure storage.
I am filing a bug with tesla for this. Let’s see what happens.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Her logging in on your phone wouldn't make it work as a key unless you had paired your phone using the keycard first, right?
It would not work as a key but once logged into the app you should be able to unlock a door.

How would that have helped?
The frunk can be opened using a 9V like in the video above.

iChris93

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The frunk can be opened using a 9V like in the video above.
Sorry, I missed that the “keys” were in the frunk. Just getting into the frunk wouldn’t have been helpful, but since the keys were there, that’s all they needed!

Last edited:

jsanford

Eloise the 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve made it a habit to keep my phone on me until I get in the car to go. When the screen locks, so does the car, which is likely how she locked her phone in.

Thursday last week my wallet was in the car and I’d just shut the trunk, and my phone crashed (which NEVER happens). Eloise folded in the mirrors and buttoned up. I wondered what would happen if my phone didn’t recover. Call for a remote unlock or fetch the other key card, I suppose.

Last edited:

webdriverguy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve made it a habit to keep my phone on me until I get in the car Togo. When the screen locks, so does the car, which is likely how she locked her phone in.

Thursday last week my wallet was in the car and I’d just shut the trunk, and my phone crashed (which NEVER happens). Eloise folded in the mirrors and buttoned up. I wondered what would happen if my phone didn’t recover. Call for a remote unlock or fetch the other key card, I suppose.
I am trying to make a habit of always having my wallet with me. My previous habit was to remove it when I sit in the car. I don’t want to get locket out if I ever forget my phone in car.