1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Father's day is coming! Get something special for dad. Use coupon code "fathersday" for 10% off anything in our shop

Dismiss Notice
  2. A meet-up for Model 3 Reservation Holders in Fremont?!

Please visit the link below and help us make it happen.
    Model 3 Reservation Holders Fremont Meet-up Thread
  3. @TrevP will be attending the VIP Tesla event June 2 and get a private viewing of the Model 3. If you'd like to make a small donation to cover the flight and accommodations cost you can do it here via PayPal:
    Donate Now!
    Thanks for your support!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking forward to driving differently

Discussion in 'Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by MelindaV, Jun 11, 2016.

More threads by MelindaV
  1. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Country
    In anticipation of driving a Tesla, have you been looking at how and where you drive differently than you previously have? Besides the question of max distance/range that has come up constantly...

I've been looking at the roads I drive on a little differently and thinking how AP may see them. For me, I spend most of my driving time in stop and go freeway traffic going under 20MPH for the majority of my commute (13.5 total miles each way, with about 12 of that freeways and taking no less than 45 minutes).

Any time I see a Model S on my commute I wonder if they are using AP, and if not why! ;) I want see how AP reacts with merging traffic. I have a couple places where going from one freeway to another and cars needing to swap a couple lanes over a pretty sort distance and it is a mess more often than not. My freeway also has a very narrow 3 lane bridge (100 year old lift span bridge that ends with a curve banked the wrong way) and I spend as much time adjusting for the cars in the adjacent lanes as those ahead. If AP is not engaged, does the emergency AP features watch for adjacent cars that could potentially swerve into you?
    Not specifically AP related, but my office is in an old part of town with narrow streets with street parking and mostly stop signs (vs lights). With my current car being both low and having a long hood, I can not see around the parked cars at the intersections. At a few of them, I have to be feet into the travel lane before I can see if there is a car coming. so sitting so much closer to the front bumper plus having the sensors that can see what I can't will be a huge improvement on getting around in my work neighborhood!

I am also really excited to getting the advantage of crawling along at a slow pace in regards to range! Since the ICE MPG is the exact opposite, I normally get well under the EPA rates unless on a road trip.

And looking forward to the remote/app controls (and hoping the app gets a revamp sometime soon). Being able to warm the car up in January or cool it off in August before I leave my office sounds awesome! Not to mention being able to check if the doors are locked without having to go back outside.

Summons I can see being useful occasionally. A few weeks ago my sister and I were leaving a baseball game, parked at CenturyLink/Qwest Field and there was a family attempting (badly) to push their huge SUV out of it's way too small parking space because they could only open the back hatch and sent a kid in to put it in neutral:p

Are there other changes you are looking forward to or concerned with ?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • garsh

Dis Member
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Pittsburgh PA
      Country
      I'll be the exact opposite.

I drive a Leaf. I have to be careful of range in order to make my round-trip commute. I have to keep my speed down on the highway.

When I get my 3, I'm going to drive it like I stole it.

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • SpdBug

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Spencer, ok
        DRIVE IT LIKE I STOLE IT

• Winner Winner x 1
        • chopr147

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          New York
          Country
          I will be going from a Yukon XL and I drive it like its a 911 :) I may drive it like I stole it as well. Looking forward to a great handling car that has the ultimate bonus of never needing gas!

• SpdBug

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Spencer, ok
          I drive the Prius daily and treat it like my old X-Type.

• Daliman

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Mississauga
          Country
          I am really looking forward to driving my Model 3 to work the first time, there is already a lineup of colleagues booking rides. My commute is 21 km each way, almost all of it on busy highways. Luckily my route can be planned to avoid the worst of the traffic. I have been driving standard for 16 years to save on gas and because it allows a small car, currently a Civic, to have sufficient pickup that I don't feel like a slug. I tend to have kind of a heavy foot.

The instant acceleration when I tested an S has me really excited for my Tesla, I have to get onto 3 different highways for short periods and this is such an advantage. The handling and cornering as I have a lot of lane changes and bridges will be a pleasure. The wide open view, if I can make the glass roof work in Canada I will.

The autopilot I am still not sure of. I am sure I will use it on long stretches of highway or if I am stuck in traffic but on my daily 20 minutes I think I am just going to love driving so much that I won't hand over the wheel to the autopilot.

• Like Like x 1
          • Dangermouse

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Raleigh, NC
            Prius owner 2004-20012, then plug-in Prius owner 2012-now. For 12 years, I have been trained to be frugal with the gas pedal.
            Having a Tesla will be like winning the lottery, driving-style-wise.

• Like Like x 4
            • teslaliving

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              Boston
              Country
              1) I drive more with my Tesla than I ever did before. Constantly looking for excuses to drive me, the family, some stranger! And thats after 2.5 years and 65K miles...

2) Im never using AP . Why? I dont have it. My car is pre-AP. But in my experience, like cruise control, while its there and hugely helpful a lot of the less techy people don't use it.

Also even if AP is off the emergency braking is still engaged (unless you have a pre-AP car like mine in which case you dont have that either).

3) Pre-heat/pre-cool for the seasons is really nice. Just dont expect the "smart preconditioning" to be, well, smart.

• jman

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              shrewsbury, Ma
              All of those saying how they will enjoy the difference in driving when they get their M3 know exactly what their in for, and even knowing that the M3 is going to be a groundbreaking, amazing, easiest thing you have ever driven in your life type of automobile !! Leaf and Prius drivers especially will take some time adjusting to the immediate power and smoothness that a Tesla brings to the table ! Enjoy the dreaming for now though.....

• Daryl Moulder

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              San Francisco
              I've never owned a car before so just owning a car for the first time will be interesting.

• Like Like x 1
              • Jaspal

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                Turlock, California
                Country
                Alright @TrevP make this into a shirt haha.

• Like Like x 1
                • garsh

Dis Member
                  Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                  Pittsburgh PA
                  Country
                  • Like Like x 1