1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Lots of Model Ses Recently. Why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gary Morrison, Aug 20, 2016.

More threads by Gary Morrison
  1. Gary Morrison

Expand Collapse

Microprocessor Design Engineer
    City & State/Province:
    Austin, TX
    I've been noticing what seems like quite a lot of Model Ses from their showrooms available recently, a little cheaper than purchase through the usual ordering procedure. This, from the "New Inventory" button on the Tesla website.

Have any of you heard any rumors as to why? I imagine this is can't be sustainable. Presumably they'll run out of such deals in the near future.

I remember a YouTube video wherein Elon said that the reason for introducing the 60s was to provide a somewhat lower-cost Model S, partly in response to so many Model 3 reservations. Perhaps they're making more Model Ses available to reduce pressure on the Model 3 realization effort?

Somewhat relatedly, does anybody know how many EVs Tesla has sold, and therefore how close they are to the limit for the US Federal incentives?

2. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I don't think that there are more 'inventory' cars available, but they are just more visible. Until now, they were inventoried with the CPOs, which once the CPO site went away, was more cryptic and essentially had to make a call and talk to one of the CPO guys.
    Earlier this year, they were at 125,000 (global) - including sales prior to the tax credit program of about 5,000, and anticipating 20,000/quarter the rest of this year and presumably 2017 up to the Model ☰ launch. So how many have been sold to date within the US... or will be by the time the Model ☰ is ready? idk, but every time I see another push for the Model S, I think the full $7,500 credit is more unlikely for most Model ☰ buyers. First the re-intro'd Model S 60 and now the 2 year lease.... eeek. But I was not counting on it anyway, just hoping it is there in full :)

3. Kizzy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    California
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    This doesn't really address the OP's question, but I've been seeing a lot of Models S and even X on the road these days. Just today, saw an S and an X going through the toll plaza of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco—at the same time. On an extended drive in my area, one hand may soon not be enough to count the sightings…

They're opening more and more showrooms (one every four days?). Might that also be contributing to the number of new inventory cars?

4. BigBri

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Country
    They're becoming a lot more accessible too. I see a lot of Model S around Kingston now. It helps that you can get used ones now that there have been a few generations. I always swing into our superchargers to peek and there is usually a model s there.

5. Gary Morrison

Expand Collapse

Microprocessor Design Engineer
    City & State/Province:
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the thoughts, Melinda and everybody.

I don't recall seeing the "New Inventory" button on the Tesla website until recently, but I presumed that I just hadn't noticed it. It sounds like it may in fact be new after all. I had looked at their CPOs before, and I think I'm more under the ... apparently new ... New Inventory button than I saw under CPOs, so it seems like they're trying to sell a lot that way.

Maybe I'm just imagining it.

It occurred to me that one possibility might be that they're trying to get some Model 3 reservers to get a Model S now, but another explanation that came to mind is that they're trying to prop up the short-term balance sheet. :)

6. chopr147

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Country
    Tesla is definetely going for the model 3 reserves! And it's working. 3 months ago I was still content to wait for my model 3 and I'm now driving an S due to the re-fresh and 60kwh battery w/ lower price. I was at the Syosset NY SC the other day and the lot was full of new 70D's. If i had known that i would have looked into it 3 months ago and maybe saved some $. This is the photo of the lot w/ new S and X's waiting on an owner, NOT waiting on delievery

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. AZ Desert Driver

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Tucson AZ
    Country
    I count over 30 cars on the lot. Why do you think these are inventory cars and not being processed for an owner? Could this be a staging area, where a big truck drops off for shipping to smaller routes?

8. chopr147

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Country
    70D's which are no longer sold online. All had new stickers and many seem to have been there for a couple of months. As far as shipping goes it was on Long Island which is not on the way to anywhere but L.I. :)

9. Jay McGinnis

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Port Orchard, WA
    #9 Jay McGinnis, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    Think all the 3 year leases are coming due which results in more CPOs. I just picked up a 2013 P85+; should have it in a couple of weeks. :)

Oh, also bumped up on the reservation list for the Model 3. :p

• Like Like x 1
  10. chopr147

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Country
    Update on the Syosset lot with 70D's parked everywhere.
    I stopped in and asked the service desk (not a sales office) about all the 70D's in the lot. She said they were not for sale and already purchased vehicles. She didn't sound real sure and I cannot understand how these could be waiting to be delivered. They have been there for at least 2 week s that I know of and all still parked collecting dust. The 70D is not even an option anymore.
    So as an update this really sucks :) Sorry. :(
    Next time I SC there I am going to look for someone who seems to know what they are talking about and ask some more pointed questions :)

11. teslaliving

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    A bunch of owners are getting this:
    Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 5.14.45 PM.jpg

I replied and pointed out the following:

My trade in is <50K at 67K miles for my April 2014 S85.

1) I could upgrade to a newer Model S and get the AP and AWD features I really want (plus better seats etc) for about $60K on top of my trade. This would be a well-equipped S but far from loaded.

OR

2) I could wait and buy a 3 probably fully loaded for $60K AND keep my Model S. The 3 will be an amazing car. Plus the 3 may have AP 2.0 when it comes out and an S now likely will not have all the hardware needed.

So I asked them: Why would anyone choose option #1?

I don't really need an extra car, but seems silly to "give" it away at those trade in prices. Its in perfect shape and will run forever.

12. chopr147

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Country
    In your case I can certainly understand not doing it. You already have a great car. Granted I love the refresh, AP etc.... but if your waiting for the 3 why bother?
    It stings to trade in a fine car. I have done that and felt it was so wasteful and financially dumb. Learn from mistakes. :)
    Trading in my Yukon XL for the S was a VERY easy decision. :)

Good luck in whatever you do.

• Like Like x 1
  13. akikiki

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Hawaii
    Gary, I am not sure I understand your first question, but I will give it a shot. Since Tesla started offering us a loaner when we took our own cars in for service, the also allowed us to buy those loaners. Discount rates are $1,000 for each month old since build, and $1 for each mile. As you can see then, a loaner car that just arrived at a Service Center is not going to be discounted as much as one that has been there 3-6 months. When they are not loaning these cars out, they are also use for test drives, and when they are referred to as a demo, they are also New Inventory cars. That's the reason for the discounts. Just recently at the end of this 3 qtr, Tesla was allowing an additional discount, but Elon just put a stop to that. I hope this helps.

• Agree Agree x 1