M3 Randomly Goes into Deep Sleep State

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Took delivery of my M3 a month ago and ever since the last update (Media & Auto high beam) the car RANDOMLY goes into a deep sleep state. Here are my observations:
1. Deep sleep state occurs only when car is parked. Thankfully!
2. Able to get into car using either iPhoneX or key card (either works) but after I get in, the car is 'dead' for about 15 to 30 seconds.
3. If I push the brake pedal to 'wake up' the car, I can hear clicking and whirring sounds like it is starting to wake up.
4. Headlights come one, but the screen is still black. The console screen then boots up. I am able to put the car in reverse and back out from the garage, but without rear camera view.
5. After wake up, LTE connectivity is not there for several minutes.
6. Sometimes, the iPhoneX is unable to unlock the car and I have to use the card. Service rep said they know iPhoneX has 'issues' and Tesla is working on that.
I have talked to Tesla service reps who said it could be a software issue. After repeated calls, they scheduled a mobile technician to visit. They were unable to reproduce the deep sleep state (of course!), checked the logs, and reached the same conclusion. Nothing changed.
Finally, scheduled a service center appointment. In the mean time, I have started to keep a log (date & time) of every start up. Yes, it is a pain the a**s but this could give them something to search for in the car data logs. I will add a post after the service appointment which is 2 weeks away.
Has anyone else experienced such a problem?

Country
Country
Have you been able to log what times during the day this happens? Also, how long was it since you last opened the door before it went to deep sleep?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good question. After scheduling the service center appointment, i started to keep a log of the deep sleep starts AND the normal start ups. Figured that both needed to be recorded. So far, after 5 days, the pattern is purely random. I am unable to attribute the deep sleep to any variable. The new turn of events is this: I got an update to version 2018.21 last night. Interesting thing is that my previous version was 2018.18, so I skipped .19, and .20 and went straight to .21. Maybe the service center pushed it? So far so good. I will continue to monitor the deep sleep startups and report back on this chain.

Sumiguchi

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a similar experience. Sometimes it happens in less than an hour while I'm grabbing groceries and always happens while I'm at work (parked for 8+ hours). Once it goes into this mode, I can no longer connect remotely with the app.

Hasn't been a big deal because it always wakes up in < 1 minute, but was wondering if this is normal.

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Country
Country
I’ve had this a couple of times as well.
Car has 2018.21.9
I keep forgetting to submit a bug report straight afterwards. Next time.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had this happen maybe 5 times. It seems more to be a software crash then sleep from the symptoms I've had. The car unlocks fine but the screen comes on, goes off and then comes back on. Found a few times the car would let me put it into Drive but it'd then show a brake (!) symbol and put me into park, cycle thru all the safety lights again and then be fine. Just seems to be software if you ask me and it's never happened while driving. I'm going to the SC tomorrow and will ask for the latest firmware.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The symptoms I have experienced are identical to 90% of those described by others in this thread.

Here is the SC response: Service center did an over the air assessment based on the half dozen or so time-stamps I gave them and they said it was a software issue that they are aware of and the engineers are working on. The "fix" will be pushed out to cars with update number 2018.26 (I have yet to receive 2018.24). My issue with this response is, why is the problem only affecting a select handful of cars?

Current status: The car has now avoided going into deep-sleep for over a week! Yeah! Keeping fingers crossed. This is not a result of anything I have done. Self-healing cars? Just kidding.

Dr. J

Private
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
2. Able to get into car using either iPhoneX or key card (either works) but after I get in, the car is 'dead' for about 15 to 30 seconds.
Not that this will help, but I'm curious if you ever tried using the key card to "start" the car, and if that made any difference.

From Electrek:

Once the driver has swiped the card, they have 15 seconds to press the brake pedal to power on the car, but they don’t have to go back outside and swipe again if they wait longer. There’s also another RFID transmitter in the center console:

The driver simply has to place the card behind the cup holders for another 15-second authentification period.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
nope. I will give it a try next time. Problem is that car unlocks normally with iPhone. It is not until I get in that I realize the screen is dark and car is asleep. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mod3Lover

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Early VIN here. I've actually been seeing this issue since I took ownership of the car back in '17. I'm seeing the same things everybody on this thread are seeing, except that I don't have an issue with unlocking my car via bluetooth or keycard. I am able to seamlessly unlock car and sit in drivers seat, drive the car successfully, but all without the screen booting up or electronics working. About 30 sec - 1 min later the screen will kick on with no cell signal for a few minutes.

I have been to service center multiple times for this same issue - most recently last week. I had the screen and MCU computer replaced, but I am still seeing this issue. I will admit that I am seeing the issue a lot less now though. Frequency is about once every other day now, but before the frequency was once/twice per day.

I really don't know what to do at this point. I really don't think another service visit will help me much so unfortunately I am slowly accepting that I will either need to live with this issue or escalate for lemon law replacement.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mod3Lover, please see my response #7 in this chain. I was told at one time by the SC rep that they may have to replace the screen, but would 'rather wait and watch'. It is still the original screen. Since my last SC visit, the number of deep sleep incidents have reduced drastically to the point where, just like you - I am learning to accept it and move on - it is not that bad for me. An extra 30 seconds, about once a week or so, is not bad. Still waiting on update 2018.26 which they said would solve the issue. Wishful thinking??

Mod3Lover

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It is most likely wishful thinking. I've been told that firmware update will fix the issue since I first brought it up with SC in December 2017 and it is still not fixed. 2018.24 is current firmware btw, so fingers crossed for the next update!!

fotm3

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Mod3Lover, please see my response #7 in this chain. I was told at one time by the SC rep that they may have to replace the screen, but would 'rather wait and watch'. It is still the original screen. Since my last SC visit, the number of deep sleep incidents have reduced drastically to the point where, just like you - I am learning to accept it and move on - it is not that bad for me. An extra 30 seconds, about once a week or so, is not bad. Still waiting on update 2018.26 which they said would solve the issue. Wishful thinking??
I am running in to the same issues as you are experiencing. It all started after
about a week or so I took the car and charged it at supercharging station ( Went beyond 70KWH when charging ) and when I came back home, I noticed ticking sound from the charge port after I locked the doors. So when I opened the charge port door, the ticking sound goes off but comes back as soon as it's closed and it keeps ticking until the car goes to deep sleep. BTW my model 3 has the latest firmware i.e., 2018.26.1. I am thinking due to the malfunction or unable to detect the proper closing of charge door, it attempts to actuate the motor to close the door resulting in ticking sound. It hard to hear the ticking noise during day time but you can hear it when you are in the driver seat and when the car is in park mode with charge port closed. The ticking sound disappears when the car is in drive mode or when the charge port is open.
Since the car is in locked/parked state, I am thinking if the cars goes to deep sleep state to avoid the battery drain from the continuous attempts to close the charge port door ( even though it's already closed ). So when the car in this deep sleep state and you attempt to unlock the car, the console screen boots up and I see a tesla logo. When the wake up completes, I see that LTE is not established the carrier cell tower because the car just woke up from deep sleep state but the connectivity shows up after couple of mins.

So I am thinking if your charge port also had issues but you didn't notice it.

Anyways just checking to see tesla did anything that made your problem go away?

fotm3

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
@zoro_bawa Just wondering if you upgraded the firmware on your car to 2018.26.x and if so did that resolve the issue? The reason I ask this is because I am already on 2018.26.1 and I am still having issues. I suspect that charge port door sensor may be at fault which is causing the car to go in to deep state to prevent the battery drain and thus resulting in initializing things from the ground zero which is causing all these issues to begin with. I think tesla is trying to workaround the faulty component with a fix in firmware. If they can't address this issue, it might result in a recall of the sensor in which case not sure how long will be the wait time.

Doug Houser

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am now losing approx 1 mile per hour while sitting uncharged. Anyone got a clue as to what I can do to minimize this? I am only running the Tesla app that came with the car not Tezlab or anything else. This is relatively new as it was not happening 2 weeks ago. I have had the car for about 7 weeks. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated...Thanks in advance

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here is an update: My M3 has been on update 2018.32 for over 3 weeks. I have definitely seen an improvement in the startups; ie. very few reboots. The frequency is down to about once every week to 10 days (?), and the recovery, or speed to start up, had improved to just a few seconds. However, i continue to loose phantom miles at the rate of about 7 miles per day. Dont know what to make of it. This phantom loss also varies from charge to charge, some more, some less. I have not called Tesla or the SC to figure it out. - yet.

Gzlatin

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My model 3 is having the same issue. I got delivery in September. I didn’t have the issue for the first few weeks but it started after one of the software updates. It happens every day when I park my car at work for 8+ hours and come back to it at the end of the day, but it also happens randomly sometimes when I run into a store for something quick and come back within 10 minutes. I’m on Version 2018.48.12. I also notice it takes my car a long time (30-45 seconds) to wake up when I pull up the Tesla app...not sure if the two are related. Anyone figure out any solutions to this issue? Should I take the car in for service? Super annoying!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Got updated to 2018.48.12 a few days ago and the deep-sleep issues has returned. Prior to the latest update, M3 would sleep about once every few days. Now it is everyday and sometimes twice a day. Very frustrating! At this time I am not sure if it is a firmware issue or hardware issue. Service center does not give a straight answer either, so I have given up on them and continue to live with the 30 seconds delay on start up.:rolleyes:

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update: My M3 is now up to version 2018.50.6 and the deep sleep issue continues. No improvement. Just today, the car went into deep sleep THREE times. If I am lucky, this event occurs only once a day. I have submitted service requests (twice) so far using the Tesla app and each time the SC calls back to say "it is a known firmware issue and Engineers are working on a solution that will be pushed out with next update", and they cancel the appointment. I AM STILL WAITING ON THIS UPDATE!! This is so annoying that I am contemplating selling off the car after just 9 months of ownership and take a financial hit. By the way, this is my second Tesla. The first is a '17 Model S which still runs as good as the first day we bought it.

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update: My M3 is now up to version 2018.50.6 and the deep sleep issue continues. No improvement. Just today, the car went into deep sleep THREE times. If I am lucky, this event occurs only once a day. I have submitted service requests (twice) so far using the Tesla app and each time the SC calls back to say "it is a known firmware issue and Engineers are working on a solution that will be pushed out with next update", and they cancel the appointment. I AM STILL WAITING ON THIS UPDATE!! This is so annoying that I am contemplating selling off the car after just 9 months of ownership and take a financial hit. By the way, this is my second Tesla. The first is a '17 Model S which still runs as good as the first day we bought it.
FWIW, my SC has been claiming since October that 2018.52 will address the issue (mine takes a solid minute to wake up practically every time I get in the car now).