1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Maintenance Plan for Model 3 inline with S & X pricing?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Repair' started by DarrylH, Aug 1, 2017.

1. DarrylH

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Mt. Albert, Ontario
    Country
    Hi, based on the pricing recently revealed for the packages and options does anyone believe the pricing will be similar to that of S and X for maintenance plans? Nothing has ever been mentioned by Tesla about this for 3 and given the higher than anticipated pricing matrix I am trying to figure out how much more to budget for.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SSonnentag

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Peeples Valley, Arizona, USA
    Country
    I expect we're looking at roughly the same prices. Maintenance expenses are fairly comparable no matter how much a vehicle is worth.

3. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I think it will be less expensive as the car has less complexity overall. However, the inspections are looking at similar parts.

4. Matthew Morgan

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    I would be interested in knowing if there is a subset of S/X owners who do their own maintenance. Last time I checked, Tesla charged an arm and a leg for routine inspections/fluid changes/filter changes.

5. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    It's something that sticks with me. EVs have "less maintenance" yet Tesla maintenance is incredibly expensive.

• Agree Agree x 7
  6. Vin

Vin
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country
    Silly question, but in PA we have to get Inspection and Emissions once per year to receive our windshield sticker...

Does Tesla skip the Emissions part all together,and do the Tesla service centers handle the inspection process/new sticker? I'd rather not take the Tesla to anything but a Tesla service center each year.

Thx

7. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I "think" it's exempt as there are no emissions. May want to check with your Tesla showroom now for more info though.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Model34mePlease

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Monterey, CA
    Country
    I think they might have a bit of trouble finding the tail pipe to put in the sensor.:confused: Anyway, in CA, EVs are exempt. In MA the inspection was also a safety inspection, and I assume a Tesla needs that.

9. Vin

Vin
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country
    Thanks. I figured we'd have to skip the emissions (great advantage of switching from ICE), and will find out about inspection from Tesla at some point. Fortunately or unfortunately I won't have to worry about that for a loooooong time :(

10. KirbyTurbo

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Denver, CO
    Since Tesla allows access to their service manual (for a fee) I think there are people who do their own work. https://service.teslamotors.com/

11. Rich M

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Berks, PA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Thanks to @KirbyTurbo for the link to the X/S maintenance schedule. I'm wondering what parts of that schedule will be scaled back or eliminated for the 3. So let's pick it apart!
    maint.JPG

As this looks now, it seems maintenance costs greatly exceed that of any of my past ICE vehicles. Before you come with your pitchforks, I am still fully on board with the 3, but let's break this down using the Model S numbers:
    • A/C desiccant bag every 2/25,000?? -- I've never had an ICE that needed the AC system to be touched outside of cabin filters. What is this?
    • Battery coolant replacement 4/50,000 -- Understandable that coolant occasionally needs replacing, but almost every ICE car from the last 10 years has 100,000 mi coolant service interval. ICE coolant systems also go through much larger temperature swings and dissipate massive amounts of heat compared to EVs. Why would Tesla battery coolant living the easy life comparably need to be changed twice as often?
    • Brake fluid replacement 2/25,000 ?? -- No. This is ridiculously short for an ICE, let alone a car that barely needs its brakes. Some cars don't need it at all, but even luxury cars typically are 3-4 years unrelated to mileage (From cars.com: "on the Ford Escape, Hyundai Elantra, Toyota Camry and other models from those manufacturers, there are no recommendations for replacing the brake fluid, only instructions to inspect it periodically.")
    • Cabin air filter 2/25,000 -- This is normal. $10 filter and 15 min of reaching through the glovebox on most cars.
    • Drive Unit fluid service 1/12,500 (but only once) -- Is... Is this an oil change??
    • Key Fob Battery replacement -- N/A for the Model 3 - charge your phone, lol :)
    • Multi Point inspection 1/12,500 -- This has always been complimentary from most dealers whenever I've brought a car in for a service. Hopefully they're not separating it out.
    • Tire rotation 1/12,500 -- Yup, normal.
    • Wheel Alignment 1/12,500 -- Uh, no. The wheels better be perfectly aligned from the factory. There's no reason to get an alignment unless you've hit a huge pothole or it's time for new tires. If the factory alignment is bad and it burns through tires, this is a warranty issue (it happened with the Genesis Coupe, and they replaced tires for free)
    • Wiper blade replacement 1/12,500 -- LOL. Most Teslas will be garage kept, and the blades should last several years unless you park outside in the desert or frozen north. I live in PA and 4 years is the norm for me
    • Add your state inspection cost and sticker fees if you have them

My ICE costs are as follows (dealer prices - about the same for past 3 ICEs):
    • Every 10,000mi: Full synthetic oil change, including multi-point inspection, tire rotation, and topping off all fluid: $73.55
    • Every year: PA State inspection + emissions: $77.60
    • Every 25,000mi: Cabin air + engine air filters DIY replacement in minutes: $25
    • Key fob battery: included during vehicle warranty period (Honda replaced mine free back in the day, otherwise they are $1.00 on ebay. I have yet to have one fail on me outside of that)
    • I left off any ICE service that I'm not likely to need in that time frame like brake fluid change, coolant, alignment, wiper blades, etc.
    Since the mileages are slightly different, I'll round up to $175/yr

4 years of Tesla: $2,325 (with maint plan discount) + 4x PA Inspection (minus emissions) @ $35.00 = $2,465
    4 years of ICE:
    (totaled above) = $700
    Difference:
    $1765 -or-
    mi of premium fuel at $2.80/gal and 35 MPG

So hopefully Tesla gives us the a la carte costs of these services so we can all better manage what can be done DIY, or at the corner garage, or at Tesla Service centers only.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Brett

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Brentwood, CA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I'm paying a bit more then that for for my synthetic oil changes, ~$85 each and I'm doing it every 6000 miles so my costs are a bit higher then this but they're still way less the the maintenance plan.

Brake pads should also be mentioned. On the Tesla they'll last forever because of regenerative braking but they'll still need to be replaced. I replaced my Prius pads after about 120K miles so it should be way off the end of this list. On my current ICE, though, I replaced the pads at about 50K miles and I paid ~$350.

13. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    didn't you say earlier you drive a WRX STi? that certainly isn't a 35MPG car, more like half that.

for maintenance, everything listed for the Model S will essentially be on the Model 3 and need to be maintained just the same... so wouldn't expect much of a break over what Tesla charges for the S/X maintenance plans.

14. Rich M

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Berks, PA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    That was a couple cars ago :D
    Currently have a Rav4 Hybrid and Fiesta ST. I left the Rav4 out of any calculations since all new Toyotas come with 2y / 25kmi maintenance included.

Any way you slice it, every Tesla needing a major $500 service that includes the drive unit after only 12k miles is kind of a bummer. :oops:

• Like Like x 1
  15. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    This is actually a good idea. Desiccant helps remove moisture. Have you ever had an older car that had a funny odor coming out of the vents when you've used the AC a fair bit in the summer? That's mold growing somewhere in the vent system (dark) due to condensation (wet) that forms when you have a cold surface. Think of a glass of ice water, and how the outside becomes wet. Desiccant should help prevent that.
    More like a transmission fluid change. Sounds reasonable - let the unit break in, then change the fluid to remove any metal shavings.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Matthew Morgan

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    As a direct comparison, here is the Mercedes Benz maintenance cost and schedule. Seems comparable to Tesla based the work performed but still sky-high. Basically 3 oil changes for $769. bahaha

upload_2017-8-16_5-10-50.png

Looks like Chevy Bolt is at 150,000 miles.

upload_2017-8-16_5-17-42.png

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. Rich M

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Berks, PA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Rarely, I always turn off AC and switch to fresh air about 5 min before the end of a trip if I'm going to be parking for any length of time. This gets the evap coils plenty dry to avoid any kind of growth. The one time the musty smell stuck around, a heavy dose of lysol spray in the intake cowl with the fan running cleared it up. (You'd think Tesla could fix this with software by running the fan for a minute after the car is parked)

Not even high performance cars with manual transmissions subject to user-grinding, clutch drops, etc. need to be serviced for several years. Most have a magnet to catch any loose stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Brett

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Brentwood, CA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Also, why is the desiccant bag so expensive. The second year service is $250 more then the year 1 service. It doesn't include the drive unit fluid service but does include the cabin air filter, brake fluid and desiccant. Even if you assume the drive unit fluid is free and that the air filter and brake fluid are $50 each that means the desiccant bag is $150. Isn't desiccant pretty close to free? Amazon sells 1 gallon tubs for $30. Do they have to tear apart the whole car to change out the bag?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. arnis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    near Tallinn
    Country
    #19 arnis, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Nissan Leaf, 2014, EU:

Every 30 000km (18 500 miles) or once a year:
    Change: Climate filter
    Check: brakes, handbrake, corrosion, headlight alignment, reduction gear and brake oil level, OBD scan
    Every 60 000km or once every 2 years:
    same as above plus:
    brake fluid flush, check steering gear, suspension wear, drive shaft rubber boots
    Every 90 000km (or 5 years):
    first coolant flush. After first flush, flush again after every 60 000km, or 4 years.
    The end.

Year 1 maintenance cost:
    160€ (190$)
    Year 2 maintenance cost:
    170€ (200$)
    Year 3 maintenance cost:
    190€ + 155€ for front brake pads (totally worn at 90 000km) 225+180$

Non-Nissan related cost: First MOT, 40€. This will repeat each second year. Until vehicle is 10yo. Then annually.

Next year 4 should be:
    170€ (same as year 2)
    Then year 5 should be:
    190€
    And then year 6 should be:
    170€ + 155€ for front brake pads, again.

In my country/climate, we do not rotate tires. Almost everybody have summer tires for 8 months and winter tires for 4 months. Rotation happens each time we switch from one to another and doesn't cost a dime extra. Just mark each tire for next time.

I think I will ask dealer to flush the reduction gear oil at year 4. This is my own preference. I act with reduction gear as I would act with manual transmission or rear differential. More-or-less the same thing. Those are not air-tight systems like AC system is. Moisture builds up. Also there is slight wear. Especially after first year. Desiccant bag replacement is mystery for me. Absolutely no moisture can get in. System is ALWAYS under pressure. If it leaks/runs out, it must be fixed. In that case, replacement is recommended.
    To replace that, AC system must be purged, opened up, bag replaced, seals replaced, vacuum tested, refilled again. At least one work-hour. Plus gas (maybe even oil). Reuse of gas is possible, depends on machinery. Gas doesn't cost a lot, though refill service usually 50€ here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Brett

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Brentwood, CA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Are you saying the desiccant bag is in the coolant (Freon) line? If that's the case why would it ever need to be replaced. That has to be a well sealed system, the initial desiccant would soak up any original moisture and lock it away forever. If you don't open the system it shouldn't need to be replaced. right?

I thought the desiccant was in the air intake lines.