Make sure your tint shops don’t scratch the chrome trim surrounding the windows

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As you may remember, my tint shop scratched the chrome trim around my window. I couldn’t quite figure out how they did it, but Tesla replaced the chrome trim as a courtesy so I moved on.

Well today, I scratched the chrome trim, so let me tell you how I did it and what to watch out for.

I detailed my car this morning as I normally do each weekend, but after I went out with my daughter. She called my attention and I looked back at her and noticed the lower portion of the window was quite dirty. It’s the portion that drops inside the door when the door is open so it’s hard to clean.

I figured I would do what tint shops do and trick the door into thinking it’s closed by closing the latch and the window would pop up and then I could clean that portion.

That worked like a charm!

So what’s wrong you ask? I couldn’t get the window to drop back down. I panicked and couldn’t figure out what to do so I started to close the door when I realized what happened. I scratched the chrome trim with the top edge of the window.

From there I called Tesla’s 800 number. We were stumped until he said the magic words “do you by chance have the child lock on?”

Damnit!

Turn off the child lock, press the door release, window drops, door closes!

Anyway word of advice for tint shops since Model 3 is still quite rare they may not realize that they need to press the button to release the door which will drop the windows again.

Scratch #2 in the same exact place as scratch #1 :(:mad::confused::cry::rage::tmi:

73ED847C-D181-4CCD-8659-B68495A1B057.jpeg

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
honestly, I don't think Tesla should cover the replacement. It was scratched because you tricked the door into raising the glass with the door open.
OTOH, they should provide a way to raise the glass when the door is opened, for window cleaning (and tinting) purposes, instead of requiring a "trick".

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
honestly, I don't think Tesla should cover the replacement. It was scratched because you tricked the door into raising the glass with the door open.
They shouldn’t have covered it the first time. I told them my tint shop scratched the window and asked for a quote to which they said don’t worry about it. I’ll be honest and up front with them about how it happened and get it fixed whether it’s free or I pay for it. Ok either way and fully expect to pay.

OTOH, they should provide a way to raise the glass when the door is opened, for window cleaning (and tinting) purposes, instead of requiring a "trick".
Technically speaking it’s the perfect storm since I tricked the car, the car didn’t trick me. To force the window back up I closed the latch which told the car the door was closed. In fact upon doing it the screen went off and the doors even locked because the car absolutely thought the door was closed. I wouldn’t expect the door release to work in that case since I had the child locks on.

The big thing to watch out for child lock or no child lock is that your tint shop knows “release the door” to allow the window to drop again before attempting to close the door.

Edit: misread your post. Yes, just like wiper cleaning mode there should be a way to raise the window without a trick.

Worth asking, right?

Last edited:

telero

Country
Country
When we had our car tinted, they did something similar. Had the door tricked to keep the window up, and they were closing the door to let another car pass by and scratched the trim. They had already ordered the trim piece by the time we were ready to pick the car up, and they said it was only like $40 for the part. It isn't in yet, but once it shows up we'll make an appointment for a couple things we are still going to have them do and they'll install the replacement piece.

Spiffywerks

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree with MelindaV, they should replace it because it's a design flaw if the window can be fully closed while the door is open causing you to damage the trim.

I have the same damage on mine, after the tint shop worked on my car. Tesla is replacing my trim when I pointed out the damage to them.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree with MelindaV, they should replace it because it's a design flaw if the window can be fully closed while the door is open causing you to damage the trim.

I have the same damage on mine, after the tint shop worked on my car. Tesla is replacing my trim when I pointed out the damage to them.
I have a good feeling this is going to happen to a lot of cars getting tinted.

Scrapps

Country
Country
It’s funny you post this because my tint shop scratched it like this. But they sorted out it out with Tesla to replace the chrome.

However I noiticed last week the chrome is scratched AGAIN! There must be something buggy with the windows coming up too soon or something. Be interested to see if anyone else is having this problem.

Duy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So just got back from Tesla 40 for the part and 35 for labor plus taxes. Not bad overall ended up going back to the original tint shop with this forum post and the paper work from Tesla they owned up and going to reimburse me for it.

It’s funny you post this because my tint shop scratched it like this. But they sorted out it out with Tesla to replace the chrome.

However I noiticed last week the chrome is scratched AGAIN! There must be something buggy with the windows coming up too soon or something. Be interested to see if anyone else is having this problem.

TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
They shouldn’t have covered it the first time. I told them my tint shop scratched the window and asked for a quote to which they said don’t worry about it. I’ll be honest and up front with them about how it happened and get it fixed whether it’s free or I pay for it. Ok either way and fully expect to pay.

Technically speaking it’s the perfect storm since I tricked the car, the car didn’t trick me. To force the window back up I closed the latch which told the car the door was closed. In fact upon doing it the screen went off and the doors even locked because the car absolutely thought the door was closed. I wouldn’t expect the door release to work in that case since I had the child locks on.

The big thing to watch out for child lock or no child lock is that your tint shop knows “release the door” to allow the window to drop again before attempting to close the door.

Edit: misread your post. Yes, just like wiper cleaning mode there should be a way to raise the window without a trick.

Worth asking, right?

Mike, do a video on the issue and I'll tweet it out

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So just got back from Tesla 40 for the part and 35 for labor plus taxes. Not bad overall ended up going back to the original tint shop with this forum post and the paper work from Tesla they owned up and going to reimburse me for it.
Nice — well sorry I didn’t get this post in before your shop scratched the trim, but nice to hear it helped!

Spiffywerks

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a good feeling this is going to happen to a lot of cars getting tinted.
I retract my original statement.

This is not a defect of the Model 3. It is the Tint shop's fault.

Seeing your video made it much clearer. Thank you for the video!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I retract my original statement.

This is not a defect of the Model 3. It is the Tint shop's fault.

Seeing your video made it much clearer. Thank you for the video!
You’re welcome and I agree. There is no design flaw whatsoever. When you trick the door into thinking it’s closed and then try to close the door you’re going to pay the price for it :tmi:

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wow, when I saw this post I was like come on...I had this exact thing happened to my car. The tint shop was puzzled as to how they scratched it. But eventually figured out it was for the reason you mentioned. One more likely damage...which happened to me..burning/melting the front tweeter speaker mesh covers. Part of the tinting process is to heat up the film with a hear gun (like a super powerful hairdryer). If they are not careful, the heat gun can touch the mesh covers and actually melt the them. Most cars have plastic or metal mesh speaker covers, but the ones on our model 3’s are made of cheap polyester. So they melts easily. So folks watch out for that. Luckily the tint shop decided to give me a 50% off on a chrome delete job for the damages. FYI, Tesla’s quote for fixing the one piece of chrome was around $100 parts and labor. And the speaker covers were $30 each, labor around $40. So $200 worth is damages total.