Mapping Cars deployed in prep for V9?

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

ER1C8

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I was at the service center yesterday and went for a ride with a tech to find the cuase of some wind noise. While driving we we're talking about V9 and he said they have deployed special mapping cars with additional equipment on them to get detailed maps of the roads to support on ramp to off ramp. He said they were recently around the SC mapping the interstate. On my way home from the appointment I saw a white Model S with California Manufacturer plates and some extra equipment attached to it.

He also said he feels like V9 could be coming anyday now. They were told that any car not on 32.X should be updated when in for service as they want all cars on 32.X.

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The only thing that doesn't add up here is that if V9 is due out any day, and contains full support for on-ramp to off-ramp, I would have expected any special mapping to occur at least a month ago, not in process.

If these more detailed maps are required for this functionality, I have a feeling that it may be awhile before we see the capability rolled out everywhere.

ER1C8

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
The only thing that doesn't add up here is that if V9 is due out any day, and contains full support for on-ramp to off-ramp, I would have expected any special mapping to occur at least a month ago, not in process.

If these more detailed maps are required for this functionality, I have a feeling that it may be awhile before we see the capability rolled out everywhere.
Very good point . I didn't really think of that. What he said about the detailed maps does make sense as this is the way GM Super Cruise works but you are right... The timeline is a bit off.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Very good point . I didn't really think of that. What he said about the detailed maps does make sense as this is the way GM Super Cruise works but you are right... The timeline is a bit off.
Besides that, tesla uses the entire fleet of AP cars for their learning, not just depending on specific one-off cars (ie the google mapping cars)