Matte Black or Dark Gray Powdercoat

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging until FERUARY 1 2019 all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them this code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • Join @TrevP for Cars and Coffee in South Florida on Feb 3rd! More details here.

bigevil

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
picking up my m3 tomorrow w 19” sports and can’t decide on matte black or the dark grey powdercoat. i have the black exterior, will dark tint windows. anyone have picks of either ?!!

Perscitus

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Might be a good idea to photochop both and see which looks better to you, say with and without chrome delete.

Alternatively, give Autoflex a shot before any powdercoating. If you dont like it, easy to peel and change colors or powdercoat the other color at that point.

If you black out everything (say + headlight/taillight smoke tint), there will not be any contrast left to highligh the lines, nice wheels, etc.

bigevil

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
great advice. that looks more matte than gloss but great to see. i won’t do chrome delete or blacking out. just dark tint and powdercoat the wheels.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would say black car — black wheels
All other colors — go with either

bigevil

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I do love how the dark grey looks on the black model S. like their factory gunmetal on black looks slick!

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
picking up my m3 tomorrow w 19” sports and can’t decide on matte black or the dark grey powdercoat. i have the black exterior, will dark tint windows. anyone have picks of either ?!!
Same car as you bigevil. Going with gloss black. Taking it in next week, will post pics.

Oyster Bait

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
MPO is that black wheels disappear - you need some contrast to see the wheel. I vote for the dark grey, or lighter: gun metal, titanium, something that stands out enough to show.

VoltageDrop

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Got the wheels off Saturday and they’re at the powder coaters. Said to give him a couple days. View attachment 17798
Do you have the suspension unloaded? I can’t tell from the pic.,,. And if so is it okay to leave it like that for an extended period of time? I am too contemplating getting the wheels powder coated and was thinking of doing the same thing while the wheels are off getting painted.

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do you have the suspension unloaded? I can’t tell from the pic.,,. And if so is it okay to leave it like that for an extended period of time? I am too contemplating getting the wheels powder coated and was thinking of doing the same thing while the wheels are off getting painted.
Yes, suspension is unloaded. Bought the 4 jack pads from no petro and scrounged around and found 4 jacks. My son helped me and we jacked up right side together and then left side so that each tire had about 1/2” clearance (some people have reported that Tesla is concerned about cracking the rear window so not sure if it’s better to do left/right or front/rear. I don’t have 3 friends to do all 4 at once :).

Since it’s designed to be lifted at those points, don’t see what damage it could do but I guess I’ll find out. People report going to SC’s and seeing Tesla’s sitting on 4 jack stands.

Last edited:

Nathan805

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
My question exactly. Taking delivery of black + black tomorrow. Planning to blackout chrome AND powder coat the 19in wheels. Still debating between matte and gloss (though that gloss looks excellent). Thanks!

VoltageDrop

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What's the reason for taping these sections off instead of just doing the complete wheel?
I think it so that the powder coat doesn't interfere with the mating surfaces between the hub and the rim....I think that it could lead to problems due to compression of the powder coat between the rim and the hub which can possibly lead to the bolts coming loose.....

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What's the reason for taping these sections off instead of just doing the complete wheel?
Mating surfaces should be perfectly flat to avoid having vibrations. Powder coating, while smooth to the eye, is not applied in a uniform thickness. Some people feel the lug nut seating area should also be taped off but I didn’t do that (will check torque once a month for the foreseeable future).

Sandy

One obsession to the next
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mating surfaces should be perfectly flat to avoid having vibrations. Powder coating, while smooth to the eye, is not applied in a uniform thickness. Some people feel the lug nut seating area should also be taped off but I didn’t do that (will check torque once a month for the foreseeable future).
Powder coat or paint I would tape off the hub mating surface, the inside of the wheels centerbore and the lug nut conical seating area. This keeps metal to metal contact on all of the mating surfaces.

Country
Country
I went with a grey powdercoat (Kingsport Grey) with a matte clearcoat. Just a personal preference, but i don't like the gloss clearcoat, wanted something unique. Great shop near us north of Philly took care of everything. Quick turnaround, and had the ability to mount and balance the new tires.

Very pleased with the outcome.

IMG_8524.jpg IMG_8556.jpg

IMG_8555.jpg