Max file size reduction?

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@TrevP did the max file size for upload go down to 2 MB? Well let me restate that, I see it’s 2 MB, was it higher before?

I can no longer share pictures from my iPhone X without cropping them to get them down in size or going to my computer to reduce resolution.

TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
@TrevP did the max file size for upload go down to 2 MB? Well let me restate that, I see it’s 2 MB, was it higher before?

I can no longer share pictures from my iPhone X without cropping them to get them down in size or going to my computer to reduce resolution.
Yeah I reduced it, images don't need to be so massive. I know cell phones take great pictures but we do we really need 25MB for each picture... I've asked the hosting company to increase the disk space given the growth we're undergoing.

TrevP

Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
More storage added to the hosting plan so I've increased the max file to 20MB. Let's hope thats enough for cell phone picture uploads...

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
More storage added to the hosting plan so I've increased the max file to 20MB. Let's hope thats enough for cell phone picture uploads...
Is there a Xenforo add-on that can resize uploaded images that are too large? Something like this? I'm sure no one here wants to eat up all of your storage / bandwidth with 20 MB pics of VIN plates. :)

ETA: Or a third-party service like Kraken.io.

Last edited:

Audrey

SR3NTY
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just replace the attachment button with a link to Imgur. I'm surprised you allow attachments at all; many forums require hot linking.

TrevP

Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I'm looking into options to help with images. Of course people can upload to IMGUR and embed here, our system allows for that.

TrevP

Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
OK, we now have a new image processor enabled which should reduce image sizes automatically when uploaded.

I will run a process that will resize all the existing attachments to reduce their physical size in batches so as to not bog down the site too much

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founding Father, Red Dragon rider
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I'm looking into options to help with images. Of course people can upload to IMGUR and embed here, our system allows for that.
Well... IMGONNA say I’m too old for that ... :D

Seriously, I favor the opportunity to continue to attach pics straight from my iPhone X library, as much as feasible. Hopefully the 20 mb will suffice for that. It’s a bit of nuisance to have to post them somewhere else & embed as this requires a two-steps operation...

Yet @Audrey is right, we’ve been spoiled her up to now compared to other places... on Teslarati for instance the limit is 5 Mb and I’ve had nesort to posting pics on Twitter first then embed, which sounds like the IMGUR way. (@KarenRei , that almost sounds Icelandic, doesn’t it?! ;))

TrevP

Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Not to worry. We've increased the disk space on the server and implemented size reduction routines upon uploading which will shrink bigger files. I think we'll be good for a while ;)

I'm running through some 3000+ attachments in batches to reduce the file sizes

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
OK, we now have a new image processor enabled which should reduce image sizes automatically when uploaded.

I will run a process that will resize all the existing attachments to reduce their physical size in batches so as to not bog down the site too much
Thanks Trev, this is great!!!

TrevP

Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I finally finished reprocessing all the attachments on the site. We've saved some disk space for sure. Going forward images uploaded will automatically be resized to no more than 1400x1400 pixels to save space. There's no need to have images on the site be 5000+ pixels ;)

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Awesome. I hated constantly going through the extra step to reduce my images before uploading. I expect any server to reduce everything to their appropriate size. (If it's really important to post something full resolution, I can host the photo elsewhere)

Spiffywerks

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Awesome! And thanks for not using imgur, else I can’t see pics anymore from work as they block imgur for whatever reason. Haha