MB The Tesla’s first road trip!

Discussion in 'Tesla Experiences' started by SoFlaModel3, Apr 14, 2018.

1. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    #1 SoFlaModel3, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Alright ladies and gents, day 1 of our semi-annual Disney roadtrip is in books and this is our first time with an EV. Before I get into the specifics of range and charging, I will say you quickly realize how much more efficient the car is on city roads than it is on the highway. For an all highway drive at a steady 77 MPH I would get 83% of the 310 mile max range.

Alright, let’s talk specifics though!

The trunk fit 2 carry on suitcases and 2 medium size strollers. The strollers were a bit of a struggle to maneuver but it worked. We also loaded the frunk with gifts for a friend in town that we met for dinner.

I charged to 90% overnight and woke up at 5 am to up the limit to 100%. We set out at 6:41 am with 310 miles of range and of course no regen since the battery was full.

825E7FF4-43F9-4182-888D-526ED1DDDFEF.jpeg

82 miles into our drive we arrived at our first highway rest stop. My initial plan was to supercharge for 10-15 minutes but I misjudged the location and the supercharger wasn’t there and was too far out of the way. Anyway, the first 82 miles took 23 kWh for 278 Wh/mi leaving us with 213 miles of range remaining.

After about 20 minutes we hit the road again. Next stop our first supercharger of the trip. Now we’re 122.1 miles into our drive and we’ve used 34 kWh for 281 Wh/mi leaving us with 163 miles of range remaining. We supercharge for 18 minutes and pickup 75 miles bringing us to a remaining range of 238 miles. Oddly enough on MyTesla account it shows 18 kWh at $0.00/kWh, so free supercharging...?

We made a new friend with a red Model S 75 with license plate DC2AC :)

92C57ED5-3037-40A7-9AAC-1AE2A223319C.jpeg 414FCA4D-3B67-4977-B4F4-96EB9AE48298.jpeg

On the road again and next stop LEGOLAND! We pull in and ask for about EV parking and we’re told they don’t have any. Alright no worries, so we follow the ICE cars to regular parking and the guy notices our car and says do you want EV parking? Ummm, yes we do! Alright so we’re redirected to EV parking which is as close to the entrance as you can get and the kicker it’s free! Anyway, let’s get some details on this leg of the drive. We’re now 189.1 miles in and we’ve used 51 kWh for 268 Wh/mi. You’ll notice our efficiency really picked up and that was the result of a 30 mile leg at 55-65 MPH. Huge difference! Our remaining range is now at 167 miles which means this leg of 67 miles ate up 71 miles of range. That’s more like it! At LEGOLAND the ChargePoint spots provide free juice, but it’s a shared 6.6 kW and there is a Nissan Leaf next to me, so we charge at an average rate of 3.06 kW in 4 hours and 35 minutes we gain 14.01 kWh adding 48 miles of range and bringing us up to 215 miles of range remaining.

4608E2CC-8BC2-441E-839F-5746A3E2AF11.jpeg 144E8F32-306E-4C9F-96F9-DFC5478EA4F8.jpeg

Next stop Disney Springs for dinner! We’re now 227.2 miles into our drive and we’ve used 59 kWh for 262 Wh/mi. Even more efficiency gain from continued lower speeds! Our remaining range is now at 177 miles which means this leg of 38.1 miles ate up 38 miles of range. Perfect!!! Round 2 with ChargePoint. This time we locate a dedicated unit so there won’t be any sharing! We charge at an average rate of 6.03 kW in 3 hours and 25 minutes we gain 20.45 kWh adding 74 miles of range and bringing us up to 251 miles of range remaining. This charging wasn’t free though. We were charged $7.18. We did have a $5.00 ChargePoint credit from opening our account though and as I found out they charge you $10.00 anytime your balance falls below $5.00, so basically they charged us $10.00, we used $7.18 and we have a remaining balance of $7.82!

B16EC817-1F6D-4107-8DBA-AB387CF11813.jpeg 0F1E06E0-03D9-4EE1-8F41-1D9D34FE8A9F.jpeg

Next stop our hotel and the end of day 1. We arrive at a grand total of 233.3 miles we’ve used 61 kWh for 261 Wh/mi. This leg was only 6.1 miles and our final remaining range is 243 miles so we used 8 miles of range. Our day ends at 8:01 PM and we’ll check in the morning on overnight vampire drain.

———————— UPDATED ———————

So let’s check on vampire drain. We left off at 243 miles of range at 8:01 PM. Now we’re at 242 miles of range at 7:30 AM. A 1 mile loss in 11 hours and 29 minutes!

We head out for breakfast (less than a mile no data) and then we’re off for Disney’s Animal Kingdom). We’re now 243.1 miles into our drive and we’ve used 63 kWh for 260 Wh/mi. Our remaining range is now at 232 miles which means this leg of 9.8 miles ate up 10 miles of range. Perfect again!!! We had a goal of getting to the park early to maximize fun, avoid forecasted late afternoon thunderstorms, and get the car to a range of 260+ miles to make it home with a 5% cushion and no stops. They say the early bird gets the worm (or in this case the ChargePoint), so we were the first EV in the lot at 8:32 AM (park opens at 9:00 AM).

CA249F34-76BC-40A4-A334-737415985CAA.jpeg

By 12:25 PM (so just shy of 4 hours), we actually topped off the battery with 20.94 kWh for $6.82 (again CharePoint charged $10.00 as we fell below $5.00 of remaining balance). Now we’ve spent $14.00 on electricity, paid $20.00, and have $11.00 left in our account.

We arrived at the car at 2:30 PM to head for home. At this point we had a remaining range of 304 miles. We had some unexplained vampire drain plus some pre-cooling as the car was cooking in the parking lot all day. In any event, plenty of range to make it home!

I plug our address into the navigation and it projects we will make it home with 18% battery left, so we’re off to complete the road trip. Not too long into our drive we find torrential rain with limited visibility, so I’m glad we executed our plan well to avoid the storms. This was a good chance to see how autopilot performs in low visibility rain and I can confirm it did so like a champ never wavering. In fact most of the drive it was incredibly windy and we saw cars weaving all over the place, but not us as we remained centered in our lane!

F1A54687-47A5-4148-A613-1AE63DA9E8C6.jpeg

Home at last! We’re now 445.5 miles into our drive and we’ve used 121 kWh for 271 Wh/mi. Our remaining range (now orange instead of green) is now at 57 miles which means this leg of 202.4 miles ate up 247 miles of range. You really see that higher speed on the highway serve as a major detriment to achieving expected range.

FC1F490E-51EC-4BE1-B376-15029400C56E.jpeg

Anyway, we made it and this car truly is a dream. The combination of long range battery and autopilot make for very easy road tripping. All said we drove 445.5 miles in 2 days, did not have overnight charging available to us, supercharged for 18 minutes, and used ChargePoint 3 times (at our convenience as they were placed where we were already going). That mileage only cost us $14.00!

To anyone that thinks they need more than the included UMC, my car only needed 7 hours and 20 minutes to charge to 85% from 17% to be ready for normal driving again!

Here is a summary of the drive:
    • Start 310 miles of range
    • Drive 82.0 miles - 97 miles of range (213 remaining) - 23 kWh used - 280.49 Wh/Mi
    • Drive 40.1 miles - 50 miles of range (163 remaining) - 11 kWh used - 274.31 Wh/Mi
    • Supercharge to 238 miles of range
    • Drive 67.0 miles - 71 miles of range (167 remaining) - 17 kWh used - 253.73 Wh/Mi
    • ChargePoint to 215 miles of range
    • Drive 38.1 miles - 38 miles of range (177 remaining) - 8 kWh used - 209.97 Wh/Mi
    • ChargePoint to 251 miles of range
    • Drive 6.1 miles - 8 miles of range (243 remaining) - 2 kWh used - 327.87 Wh/Mi
    • Vampire Drain to 242 miles of range
    • Drive 9.8 miles - 10 miles of range (232 remaining) - 2 kWh used - 204.08 Wh/Mi
    • ChargePoint to 310 miles of range
    • Vampire Drain to 304 miles of range
    • Drive 202.4 miles - 247 miles of range (57 remaining) - 58 kWh used - 286.56 Wh/Mi)
    Overall
    • Drive 445.5 miles - 521 miles of range - 121 kWh used - 271.60 Wh/Mi)
    My lasting impression is that I would have stress in the process with the standard range battery and the inability to supercharge for long periods of time with the kids getting restless. Since I have the long range battery though, this has been a breeze and I never thought about the battery or our range at all throughout the drive!

I love this car!!! :cool::D

• Love it! x 10
    • Informative x 9
    • Like x 7
    • Helpful x 2
    • Winner x 1
  2. Tchris

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Informative write-up! Thanks for sharing with us “waiters”. Out of curiousity, did you have destination charging at your hotel?

• Like Like x 2
  3. mntlvr23

Expand Collapse

Country
    I love all the detail - thanks! All of this is nice to know (and reminds me to start a charge point account)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Fantastic, detailed writeup, @SoFlaModel3! Clearly, you prepared very well for this drive. I've always wondered how well a longer road trip with young children would work in an EV, but it sounds like it went well for everyone! I'm going to bookmark this post for inspiration.
    :)

Apart from how well the family fared, one particularly informative detail that I took away from your report was this:

I was both surprised and impressed that you managed to match the car's rated efficiency for these two highway legs (the second of which I assume was also at 55-65 mph), despite having a fully-loaded car with 4 people and luggage, and even though you've got the 19" wheels and stickier tires. I was expecting you to report overall efficiency around 275-280 Wh/mi, similar to what you logged for your first leg at higher speeds and limited initial regen.

Anyway, hopefully the return trip will be just a smooth. In the meantime, enjoy your stay! Oh, and if you park at the park, and you happen to see a well-built, dark-haired kid in his late 20s staring jaw agape at your car... that is probably my boss's son! My boss's family also does a semi-annual (at least!) Disney trip, and his son is a HUUUUUUUGE Tesla fan, like the kind who plays around in the Model S Design Studio every night before bed. (But don't worry... he's not the type to leave headprints. :))

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Quicksilver

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Very good report! Thanks @SoFlaModel3 ! When you used ChargePoint, I assumed you were using the J1772 adapter that came with the car correct? Any issues with it sticking, etc...? I also have a ChargePoint account but don’t plan to use it much.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Brett

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Except for all of the times you were obsesivly documenting it for us :)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. LUXMAN

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Nice detail! Thank you. Check out how close the Wh/mi on your first day was to mine for that trip I took the other day...
    IMG_0098.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  8. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Unfortunately no. I use Marriott and sadly it looks like they haven’t joined the revolution yet. I would change, but I have so many points from work travel that it’s hard to skip on free hotel stays with personal travel.

Yeah I agree — to be honest up front I wasn’t sure what to expect. I knew I wasn’t going to be speed racer on this trip and compromise range, but I also knew highway efficiency at higher sustained speed + the weight of a loaded to the brim car would be a tough. I’m very impressed with it! I have no qualms about a longer trip in the future, that’s for sure!!

That’s correct, I used the J1772 adapter in both cases. No issues with it sticking. One small issue (almost) was that instead of removing the ChargePoint cable + the Tesla adapter I just removed the ChargrPoint cable and put it away. Then I returned to the car to remove the adapter when the car decided it was time to close the charge port cover and eat my hand. It didn’t hurt, but lesson learned to remove the whole thing at once and then separate the adapter from the ChargePoint cable while off of the car.

Oh yeah... that! My wife did give me evil eye when I kept taking pictures of the screen each time we stopped :D:eek::p

Nice!!! I just hope I don’t see your vampire drain numbers. I haven’t checked yet. We hit the road in a few hours to head into the Disney parks!

My big goal for today is to get into the park early enough to land a ChargePoint spot. My drive home is 201 miles and given the ~83% of efficiency against projected range with sustained higher speed, then I need to be at 260 miles of range to make it home with a 5% range cushion. Alternatively that supercharger on the way home makes for a perfect 10 minute pit stop or of course slowing down a bit helps as well, so we’re good either way!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  9. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    File a bug please. That should be fixable in software.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Dr. J

Private
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Biting the hand that feeds it! Bad form. ;)

• Funny Funny x 6
  11. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Original post now updated with the return drive and a summary of the entire drive!

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    So, 57 miles of range is low enough that Tesla feels the need to point it out by changing the color to orange.

This matches my Leaf's range when charged to 100%. :mad:

• Funny Funny x 11
  13. Mike

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    .....and why I believe the up-charge for LR battery is well worth the cost.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Bokonon

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Question: what would you guess your average highway speed to be on the return trip? Was it in that same 55-65 mph zone where you achieved 260-270 Wh/mile on your way out, or was it higher, similar to your first outbound leg where you were in the 280s?

I'm trying to get a sense for the impact of heavy rain on highway range, since wet roads create more rolling resistance, and the wipers (and potentially the defroster and full headlights) consume additional energy. My e-Golf seems to take a ~8-10% efficiency hit in rain versus dry weather at the same temperature and humidity, so it sounds like the Model 3 would be in that zone if you were driving such that you'd be in the 260s if not for the weather.

15. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Ahh, good question! The return drive outside of a few pockets of traffic in the torrential rain (just a few miles overall though) was at ~77 MPH.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Bokonon

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Interesting. Just to be clear, were the roads wet for most of the drive, or were there just those few patches of torrential rain and dry roads everywhere else?

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I would say the roads were wet (not drenched) for 15-20% of the drive.

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. Gary Macdonald

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Wait! What? Are you saying they have ChargePoint spots at the parks? I haven’t seen them at the resorts.

It might make it worth begging and pleading and promising things to my wife (that I don’t intend on keeping, of course) in order to get us to drive down after we get our Model 3. :blush:

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Oh yeah! Download the ChargePoint app — they’re everywhere!

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  20. TesLou

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Like you, I travel a lot for work and accumulate points with Marriott and Hilton properties. Anytime either one of them sends me a survey after my stay, I always include the comment, “I will soon be joining the growing family of electric vehicle (EV) owners. Many of us adjust our travel plans to include hotels that have EV chargers on site. I hope you’ll consider installing these at this hotel in the near future.” If they keep getting comments like this, it’ll go a long way to further the cause.

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1