Messing With A Sports Car

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging until FERUARY 1 2019 all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them this code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • Join @TrevP for Cars and Coffee in South Florida on Feb 3rd! More details here.

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Absolutely not, I hate when people do that! The road I was on is one lane in each direction, double yellow in the center, and I had a slow truck in front of me. The Camaro was tailgating me like it was my fault!

Last Sunday I actually watched someone do that to a cop. Driver saw the cop approaching fast, and decided he had a duty to slow the cop down. So they drove slow in the left lane in front of the cop, and when the cop tried to go around on the right, he moved over and blocked. Then did the same thing again back to the left. Finally, the cop pulled him over, and I had no sympathy for that kind of stupid.
Similar thing happened on way to work. Slow driver hogging left lane, eventually a cop going fast was behind him waiting for him to move. Never did even after being tightly tailed by cop for at least a full minute. He might’ve even slowed down to avoid speeding ticket, after 4 cars passed him on right.

Cop finally turned on flashers and dumbass thought he was getting pulled over and moved left to shoulder. Cop sped right past him.

Hate these morons, cop should have pulled him over and teach him some road manners. Had absolutely no clue about passing lanes.

jdcollins5

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mustang owners around here seem to know about the Model3 reputation. I have them pulling up beside me and then “goosing” it. This is in 45 mph city traffic. A couple of times we have ended up at the front at a stop light. On green they have floored it and I will keep up with them just off of their rear bumper. Just before we get too far above SL I will pull up to their front bumper just before slowing down to let them know I have something left.😀

Jay Jay

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mustang owners around here seem to know about the Model3 reputation. I have them pulling up beside me and then “goosing” it. This is in 45 mph city traffic. A couple of times we have ended up at the front at a stop light. On green they have floored it and I will keep up with them just off of their rear bumper. Just before we get too far above SL I will pull up to their front bumper just before slowing down to let them know I have something left.😀
Yep, Mustangs, Camero, but mostly Audi's and BWM's. I even had a Lambo SUV flex at me on the freeway in SLC. I thought it was funny...I'm like, yeah, I'm fast, but not 3.2 to 60 fast.

Defjukie

Country
Country
Personally I move out of the left lane whenever there's a car close behind me, regardless of how fast I"m already going over the speed limit. I just move back after they've gone past.

To me, the left lane is the passing lane. Even while I'm passing others, if someone is looking to pass me, I move and let them. Where else are they supposed to pass? I'm definitely not encouraging safe driving forcing them to slow down. All that would do is induce road rage and even more erratic behavior out of them.
It's not just the passing lane to you, it's actually the law. What you described is exactly the way it's intended to be used. Shame 95% of drivers don't understand this.

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's not just the passing lane to you, it's actually the law. What you described is exactly the way it's intended to be used. Shame 95% of drivers don't understand this.
Makes me wonder what they teach at drivers' ed these days.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I got pulled over for failure to move over with an officer having pulled someone over up ahead.

He asked for license and registration.

I asked politely what I had done. I was doing 72 in a 70 so I knew it wasn’t a speeding ticket.

He asked if I knew about the Move Over Law and I said yes.

He walked away with my info and went over to his computer.

I stuck my arm out of the window and asked for him to come back.

When he returned, I explained politely that while I understand the move over law, I had no opportunity to act on it and used my best judgement to keep everyone around me safe. I explained to the officer that pulled me over that he was in my blind spot and getting over was unsafe for him. I also explained that the person behind me was following closely and the person in front of me had a taller truck and that mixed with coming over an elevated part of the road made it impossible for me to do anything but gradually slow. I explained I knew the law was move over or reduce to 20 MPH below the speed limit, but used my best judgement to slow a little, make sure I had a firm grasp on the wheel, but did not risk an accident for myself, the officer that pulled me over, or the car behind me.

He waked back to his motorcycle.

He returned with my ID and sent me on my way without a citation!

If I needed it, the dash cam footage would have validated my description from the front. Now having rear and side/rear view included would be ideal. Fortunately it wasn’t needed since the officer appreciated how I described the events.

JasonF

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
He returned with my ID and sent me on my way without a citation!
The cop probably picked you because keeping your speed steady and not moving over looks a lot like you have Autopilot on and aren't paying attention. Then you demonstrated that you knew everything that was going on at the time, so he gave up and moved on.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Today, while traveling on a two-lane country road, a cop was tailgating me for about 10-12 miles. While I was travelling 6-8 miles over the limit(in a 55 zone), he came barreling up behind me to about 1 1/2 car lengths back and stayed there. I slowed to 3-4 over and he never attempted to pass nor did he ever back off. Any other car and I would have put the P3D ZOOM on him and left him behind. Didn't seem wise under the circumstances. I guess I should have turned off early somewhere, but I was too busy being irritated.
I have no issues putting the cruise control exactly at the speed limit in this situation and make the cop pass you or drive the speed limit himself. Unless he's responding to an emergency, he shouldn't be barreling up on anyone. For me, I save the instant torque of the Model 3 for getting past people on the mountain pass roads I drive frequently. Nothing worse than having a great cruise through some wonderful scenery and twisty mountain roads ruined by a Prius or an RV chugging along below the limits. It's great to know it's there if needed but I've learned to tame the inner lead foot on my daily commute ( audio books are a great help ).

Defjukie

Country
Country
The cop probably picked you because keeping your speed steady and not moving over looks a lot like you have Autopilot on and aren't paying attention. Then you demonstrated that you knew everything that was going on at the time, so he gave up and moved on.
highly doubtful he's even aware of what Autopilot is.

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have no issues putting the cruise control exactly at the speed limit in this situation and make the cop pass you or drive the speed limit himself. Unless he's responding to an emergency, he shouldn't be barreling up on anyone. For me, I save the instant torque of the Model 3 for getting past people on the mountain pass roads I drive frequently. Nothing worse than having a great cruise through some wonderful scenery and twisty mountain roads ruined by a Prius or an RV chugging along below the limits. It's great to know it's there if needed but I've learned to tame the inner lead foot on my daily commute ( audio books are a great help ).
Some cops will barrel up on you regardless of whether it was an emergency, really in your best interest to just move out of his way and move back as traffic allows.

JasonF

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have no issues putting the cruise control exactly at the speed limit in this situation and make the cop pass you or drive the speed limit himself.
Some cops will barrel up on you regardless of whether it was an emergency, really in your best interest to just move out of his way and move back as traffic allows.
There is a highly subjective traffic law in most states for "Obstructing Traffic". If you make a cop angry and frustrated enough, they might just ticket you for that.

Additionally, drunk drivers often drive at the speed limit or below, when they're aware that they might be drunk, to avoid getting stopped by police. The police know that, and might pull you over for doing that to do a roadside sobriety test.

Sometimes they're just jerks who are baiting you to go faster, and as soon as you hit 1 mph over the limit, on go the strobes.

Or sometimes they might just turn their strobes on just to get you to pull over so they can go past.

In any case, if it looks like you can't win by going slow or speeding up, it's best to get out of the way to avoid getting stuck with a massive waste of time and resources. Just do it where it's safe, if you pull over onto a soft shoulder (grass/gravel) to let them pass, they just might follow to find out if you have a guilty conscience.

Nautilus

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ugh! What idiots pull onto the left shoulder?
Here in Indiana, the state troopers seem to prefer pulling cars over into the left breakdown lane on the interstate, certainly I-465 around Indy. Several years ago when I was pulled over, I started signalling to go from the left lane across several lanes to the right break-down lane and the trooper gestured quite emphatically for me to pull over to the left. So I reversed course and did as I was told.

I can actually see some logic to this. To his left, the trooper has the protection of the cement center barrier, even when talking to me through my driver's window. To his right he has the protection of his car, then my car. There are too many cases of troopers getting hit by careless drivers during traffic stops (hence the "move over" laws.

Semi trucks seem to get pulled over to the right breakdown lane, then the trooper goes over to the passenger door to speak to the driver. Some stops of cars are to the right breakdown lane as well, but then they also go to the passenger door. I noticed the other evening passing a traffic stop that the trooper also walks around the rear of their car to get to the passenger side, presumably so the other driver can't slam it in reverse and crush them between the two cars. Unfortunately, many Standard Operating Procedures are written in the blood of those that came before.

BTW, I really hate it when a police car comes up and tailgates me when I'm doing the speed limit (especially if there is no where for me to get out of the way). It's unsafe. If they're responding to an emergency, have your flashing lights on and I'll figure out how to get out of the way.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Similar thing happened on way to work. Slow driver hogging left lane, eventually a cop going fast was behind him waiting for him to move. Never did even after being tightly tailed by cop for at least a full minute. He might’ve even slowed down to avoid speeding ticket, after 4 cars passed him on right.

Cop finally turned on flashers and dumbass thought he was getting pulled over and moved left to shoulder. Cop sped right past him.

Hate these morons, cop should have pulled him over and teach him some road manners. Had absolutely no clue about passing lanes.
They would have gotten pulled over for that in Virginia.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can actually see some logic to this. To his left, the trooper has the protection of the cement center barrier, even when talking to me through my driver's window. To his right he has the protection of his car, then my car. There are too many cases of troopers getting hit by careless drivers during traffic stops (hence the "move over" laws.
That's true. But now the lane beside you has faster-moving traffic. I wonder if a study has been done to determine which is safer for troopers?

In PA, the left shoulder usually isn't as wide as the right shoulder. That might make a difference as well.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Makes me wonder what they teach at drivers' ed these days.
Certainly aren't teaching anyone what a YIELD sign is anymore... can't even begin to count the times I've had someone on an on ramp not even looking and I'm in the "slow lane" with nowhere to go. Sure I can brake (and do)... and sure I can let them in (and do) so not trying to get a back and forth started here... just pointing out that people just come flying on without even a glance in their mirrors/blind spot anymore. YIELD DAMNIT!

Also, to stay on topic, I've not messed with a sports car but did have an SUV try to pass me in a right hand lane (that was ending) as I was only going slow waiting for my lane to clear as people moved into a turn lane... it's a common problem in this area, people start slowing down to move to the turn lane to then make a left into a grocery store. The impatient, and I've been guilty of doing this, will swerve around the traffic to the right lane to pass them all.
Well... the traffic cleared and the SUV just to my blind spot, making noise like it was drinking a gallon of gas per second with conviction to pass me. One slight press on my accelerator, not even half way down and... bye bye. Also, no... don't do that Mr. SUV. :)

JasonF

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also, to stay on topic, I've not messed with a sports car but did have an SUV try to pass me in a right hand lane (that was ending) as I was only going slow waiting for my lane to clear as people moved into a turn lane.
That may seem only annoying, but I know for a fact it's 100% illegal, and you can get a ticket for it. Usually the cops are too lazy to ticket for that, but if you get one that's motivated enough, you will.

How do I know that? Years ago, I drove by a school late in the evening that was having some kind of event. They were on an island-divided road, and there was a short left turn lane leading in, so people were backed up into the road's left lane. I went over to the right to go around them, but then I had to turn left at the next block (the main intersection), so I moved back over after I was past the school.

I never made it to that next left turn. The cop that was parked on top of the island, I thought was there for traffic direction into the school, pulled me over and ticketed me for passing illegally on the right. I actually asked him how I was supposed to get around the line, and he suggested either I wait in line until it's clear, or move over to the right and continue straight through the next intersection so it's not "passing".

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That may seem only annoying, but I know for a fact it's 100% illegal, and you can get a ticket for it. Usually the cops are too lazy to ticket for that, but if you get one that's motivated enough, you will.

How do I know that? Years ago, I drove by a school late in the evening that was having some kind of event. They were on an island-divided road, and there was a short left turn lane leading in, so people were backed up into the road's left lane. I went over to the right to go around them, but then I had to turn left at the next block (the main intersection), so I moved back over after I was past the school.

I never made it to that next left turn. The cop that was parked on top of the island, I thought was there for traffic direction into the school, pulled me over and ticketed me for passing illegally on the right. I actually asked him how I was supposed to get around the line, and he suggested either I wait in line until it's clear, or move over to the right and continue straight through the next intersection so it's not "passing".
Whoa, didn't know that it was illegal. Good to know, thank you!