Mini-hypermiling experiment

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My youngest is going through a stage where she simply won’t sleep, so I figured I would drive her around the neighborhood in the dark and it did the trick.

While at it, I found a very low speed varying between 13-17 MPH does wonders for range. I’m not sure I have the patience (and time) necessary to see just how far this car can go on one charge though. :)

BE784C42-314E-4371-BCAA-3C7348AAD099.jpeg

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While at it, I found a very low speed varying between 13-17 MPH does wonders for range
Given that there is just a single reduction gear, each electric vehicle will have an optimum speed for efficiency. The less "base load" a vehicle has (that is, power needed to run the computers & other systems even when the vehicle is not moving), the lower that speed will be.

For a Model S, that's around 22mph.

It looks like someone has figured that out for the Chevy Bolt as well - it's also around 22 mph.

The Nissan Leaf has always been great in this regard. It's around 12mph (see note included on this chart).
It sounds like the Model 3 has been improved a great deal from the Model S.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My youngest is going through a stage where she simply won’t sleep, so I figured I would drive her around the neighborhood in the dark and it did the trick.

While at it, I found a very low speed varying between 13-17 MPH does wonders for range. I’m not sure I have the patience (and time) necessary to see just how far this car can go on one charge though. :)

View attachment 7942
when I rented the Turo a few weeks ago, I came home and plugged it into my year old yet to be tested WC and proceeded in driving around rural roads, some freeways and some neighborhood roads at normal speeds, I was right under 200 Wh/mi ;) (down from something like 350 average when I picked it up since it prior charge) so with the majority of my typical commute being in the 13-17mph range for a freeway speed, I should be able to keep it around 200 most days ;)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@SoFlaModel3 - since my reply earlier, I was thinking of what differences your drive around the neighborhood could have than how I was driving (up to freeway speed+) to get a similar Wh usage.... I would expect your area would be pretty flat, while I have hills any direction and on any type of road... I had the car set to the higher regen option, tried both sport and standard steering... I had it before chillax came around (but would not have tried it anyway).
do you use creep?

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@SoFlaModel3 - since my reply earlier, I was thinking of what differences your drive around the neighborhood could have than how I was driving (up to freeway speed+) to get a similar Wh usage.... I would expect your area would be pretty flat, while I have hills any direction and on any type of road... I had the car set to the higher regen option, tried both sport and standard steering... I had it before chillax came around (but would not have tried it anyway).
do you use creep?
You’re right about flat — it’s all we have :)

I had the car in sport, highest regen, and never use creep nor chill mode. I could definitely get that number lower!