1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

MIT startup claims a breakthrough for ‘holy grail’ of batteries, doubles energy density

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Aug 19, 2016.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

As always, a healthy dose of skepticism is important when it comes to an alleged “battery breakthrough”. Those announcements are being made every 2-3 months over the last decade and rarely anything comes to it, but at least we can always rely on the 5-8% annual incremental improvements in li-ion battery capacity. It’s not a “breakthrough” or doubling of capacity, but it adds up.

Now it’s time for another MIT spinout, after the defunct A123 Systems, to claim to have created the next battery breakthrough with an anode-free li-metal battery that could achieve an energy density of up to 500 Wh/kg – about twice the capacity of the current cells found in Tesla’s vehicles for example. more…

Filed under: Uncategorized [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Maine
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    We can, of course, do nothing of the sort. We are finding ways to improve batteries, there is NO guarantee that improvements will always be there to be found. Like all things, there are limits, Moore's law has come to an end.

Thank you kindly.

3. Guy Weathersby

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Poway CA
    Time will tell if Moore's law has run out. Many folks are saying that it will end in about 5 years, but folks have been saying that periodically for about 20 years.

4. Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Maine
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    And some who say it happened 5 years ago, (which is new). Check out clock speeds.

Thank you kindly.

5. SpdBug

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Spencer, ok
    In the field of Metrology, not Meteorology, we have periodic notices that come out, some monthly and some quarterly. Way back in 2006 we received a bulletin talking about how NIST, National Institute of Standards and Technology, came up with a new more accurate time standard, http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/mercury_atomic_clock.cfm At the time we had some people from another work center stop by and I was raving about this, they seemed unimpressed. I think the comment was "I can go to Walmart and buy a $5 watch that'll tell me what time it is." I told them to just wait.

Then some months later they came out with a more accurate length measurement better than 3 microns, if measuring the distance from NY to LA you would lose less than 1". Of course the comments were "we already know the distance from NY to LA." I told them to just wait.

Some months later we started seeing higher clock speeds for cpu's and smaller, more powerful cell phones. I had to explain to them that with a more accurate time base you can measure distance more accurately. With that you can then create smaller architectures capable of more power. The jump from 5 micron to 3 micron architecture was day and night, it should get pretty interesting in the next couple years for all aspects of tech.

Getting better and better
    http://www.nist.gov/pml/div689/20150421_strontium_clock.cfm

6. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    @SpdBug sounds like you need to find more innovative-accepting people to work with ;)

7. SpdBug

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Spencer, ok
    The key there is "another work center", not working in the same field. Everyone who worked for me at the time knew the implications.