Mobile Ad Hijacking Hijinks

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, but for the last couple of days, when I browse the forums on a mobile device, my browser occasionally gets hijacked by a spam/scam ad that redirects me to a third-party web page which tells me I've won something. (See examples below.) Even worse, this page is somehow able to play a looping sound file that proclaims "Congratulations! Congratulations! Congratulations!" over my phone's speaker in a creepy synthesized voice.

These ads tend to appear in clusters, so if I run into one, the odds of me running into another one on my next page load are also high.

I'm guessing one of the site's ad networks is selling to a bad actor or two, and I'm not sure if there's any action to be taken here by the M3OC site admins... but I just wanted to raise awareness of this disruptive issue in case there is.

Screenshot_20180329-195919_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20180327-195601_Chrome.jpg

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Bokonon, if this happens again, copy the entire URL and either put it in a reply to this thread or PM them to me.

Bokonon

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Bokonon, if this happens again, copy the entire URL and either put it in a reply to this thread or PM them to me.
Thanks. It's hard to avoid mashing the back button as quickly as possible to make it shut up, but I'll do my best. :)

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks. It's hard to avoid mashing the back button as quickly as possible to make it shut up, but I'll do my best. :)
Understandable. Only do so if you find it not too inconvenient. :)

Bokonon

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Understandable. Only do so if you find it not too inconvenient. :)
All I'm saying is that statements like, "I am not currently aware of any issues with our data center" tend to be far less credible when everyone present is convinced that your phone has been hacked. :)

BluestarE3

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I just ran into the same problem about an hour or so ago.

Bokonon

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country