Model ≡ EU Charging & charging accessories

Juza

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Interesting, I did not know about that adapter! I am surprised that it is included in Italy, that kind of socket in not so common in houses.

Juza

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I hope to have the red plug umc, but I think it’s a non-update page on the Italian site...
that could be a possibility... let's see what we get when our cars will be delivered!

currently they are sailing at 17 knots near Bahia Asuncion, in Mexico. In a little more than one month they shoud be in our hands ;-)

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
the blue one is called CEE-CARA. also known as Caravan Plug. i don't know what they want us to do with that. nobody has the blue 3-pin socket at home. this is used at camping sites.
Yes, the CEE blue plug is very common at camping sites. However, it's possible to mount those single phase blue plugs anywhere you want, right?
CEE red is pretty common in companies and shops (including gas stations, yet not necessarily public). Common amperage is 16A (11 kW), 32A (22 kW), and 63A (43 kW).

However, if you own a garage definitely consider getting a regular type 2 charge port installed (single or three phase depends on what you have available/willing to get installed).
The Tesla wall charger is not too expensive but there are alternatives. How much power that charge port should be capable of delivering really depends on what you can supply.
You need to decide if you want a fixed cable or a plug. I got a plug. Any type 2 AC cable will work with it.

I live in a house with three apartments. Total amperage fuses (three phase) for the house are 80A.
I limited my charge port to 22 kW (32A) and I don't cook and bake at the same time while charging.
Probably not necessary but better safe than sorry. We also have no electric water heaters in the house, so total power consumption is limited.

Having 22 kW available does not mean ones car can't be charged if it can charge at 11 kW max. If it can only do 11 kW, it'll use 11 kW. The AC charger is in the car!
On the other hand the cable you use must also support the current and may be another limiting factor. I use 32A three-phase cables (22 kW max.).

An AC charge port is a glorified power plug with some µController logic to communicate how much power is available to the actual charger in the car and enable the current when both agree to it.
It doesn't magically know how much power is available. it's configured during installation or set to a certain value by default.
If no car is attached to the type 2 plug, there is also no power. That's one of the main differences vs. a CEE plug, which is "on" by default and doesn't communicate.

A mobile charger really should be used for charging away from home when a public charger with type 2 AC plug is not available - there are many such charge ports and more to come.
A three phase type 2 cable is a handy thing to have in your car since those are usually not attached to AC charging stations below 43 kW (so most), hence you need to bring your own.

The main problem with public charge ports is other cars blocking them not charging (either ICE or EV).
Also some providers seem not to be able to keep them operational.
That's why the Tesla supercharger network is so popular since they are very reliable (compared to most other providers so far).

guidom

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, the CEE blue plug is very common at camping sites. However, it's possible to mount those single phase blue plugs anywhere you want, right?
CEE red is pretty common in companies and shops (including gas stations, yet not necessarily public). Common amperage is 16A (11 kW), 32A (22 kW), and 63A (43 kW).

However, if you own a garage definitely consider getting a regular type 2 charge port installed (single or three phase depends on what you have available/willing to get installed).
The Tesla wall charger is not too expensive but there are alternatives. How much power that charge port should be capable of delivering really depends on what you can supply.
You need to decide if you want a fixed cable or a plug. I got a plug. Any type 2 AC cable will work with it.

I live in a house with three apartments. Total amperage fuses (three phase) for the house are 80A.
I limited my charge port to 22 kW (32A) and I don't cook and bake at the same time while charging.
Probably not necessary but better safe than sorry. We also have no electric water heaters in the house, so total power consumption is limited.

Having 22 kW available does not mean ones car can't be charged if it can charge at 11 kW max. If it can only do 11 kW, it'll use 11 kW. The AC charger is in the car!
On the other hand the cable you use must also support the current and may be another limiting factor. I use 32A three-phase cables (22 kW max.).

An AC charge port is a glorified power plug with some µController logic to communicate how much power is available to the actual charger in the car and enable the current when both agree to it.
It doesn't magically know how much power is available. it's configured during installation or set to a certain value by default.
If no car is attached to the type 2 plug, there is also no power. That's one of the main differences vs. a CEE plug, which is "on" by default and doesn't communicate.

A mobile charger really should be used for charging away from home when a public charger with type 2 AC plug is not available - there are many such charge ports and more to come.
A three phase type 2 cable is a handy thing to have in your car since those are usually not attached to AC charging stations below 43 kW (so most), hence you need to bring your own.

The main problem with public charge ports is other cars blocking them not charging (either ICE or EV).
Also some providers seem not to be able to keep them operational.
That's why the Tesla supercharger network is so popular since they are very reliable (compared to most other providers so far).
thanks mate that is a comprehensive and clear explanation

guidom

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
just read on another forum that the Model 3 does not come delivered with a 3 phase (like Model S / X) or a 1 phase charger (as we previously heard)! i know that Tesla want to save money but this is getting ridiculous...

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
just read on another forum that the Model 3 does not come delivered with a 3 phase (like Model S / X) or a 1 phase charger (as we previously heard)!
Are you saying that the car doesn't come with any mobile connector? I find that very hard to believe.

Stefan Grasse

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
just read on another forum that the Model 3 does not come delivered with a 3 phase (like Model S / X) or a 1 phase charger (as we previously heard)! i know that Tesla want to save money but this is getting ridiculous...
It comes with a 1 Phase Charger!!!

I bought a brand new Tesla 3-Phase Charger on Ebay and will sell the 1 Phase Charger then.

3LR

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
You guys need do get the terminology correct. The charger is onboard the car. The Universal Mobile Connector (UMC) is the cable that comes with the car. This is not a charger.

As far as I know the Model 3 comes with an onboard 11kW three phase charger and a single phase 3,7kW UMC.

guidom

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You guys need do get the terminology correct. The charger is onboard the car. The Universal Mobile Connector (UMC) is the cable that comes with the car. This is not a charger.

As far as I know the Model 3 comes with an onboard 11kW three phase charger and a single phase 3,7kW UMC.
Sorry yes I meant UMC. of course there is an on board charger. it’s only a rumour I heard, don’t shoot the messenger!

Country
Country
If you´re talking about the German TFF forum the guy who said this took it back a few posts later after clarifying with Tesla (misunderstanding). This post has a screen shot that shows all the charging equipment you get with your Model 3:
https://tff-forum.de/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=11083&start=10#p618388

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
that's a relief that they have reduced the supercharger prices, now less than ICE prices again :)

In Germany:
€ 0.40 pro Minute über 60 kW
€ 0.20 pro Minute bis 60 kW

https://www.tesla.com/de_DE/support/supercharging
From 10-50%: 18 minutes, 31 kWh, €0.40 * 18 = €07.20, so €0.2323/kWh
From 10-72%: 30 minutes, 48 kWh, €0.40 * 30 = €12.00, so €0.2500/kWh

That's cheaper than at home. Charging higher than 72% will result in charging speeds below 60 kW. Takes longer, costs more in the end.
I would only do it if the next SC is too far for a 72% charge.

What do you mean by "cheaper than ICE"?
Assuming 20 kWh/100 km (that's driving not very slow), that's €5/100 km at €0.25/kWh. Which 346 PS ICE car can do that or anything close to this?
Even with the higher prices stated before it was already way cheaper than ICE cars.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
As I imagine, now also the italian Tesla website is updated with the new UMC2.
The last hope to will have the old UMC 3phases is gone...

Stefan Grasse

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
As I imagine, now also the italian Tesla website is updated with the new UMC2.
The last hope to will have the old UMC 3phases is gone...

Sucks.. Iam happy, i bought a new one from a user of the german TFF Forum and paid 440€ including Red 11kwh Adapter.

Original Price is something like 780€ (inkl. Adapter)