1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Model ≡ production ramp up

Discussion in 'Reserving, Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Michael Russo, Mar 27, 2017.

More threads by Michael Russo
  1. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
    Country
    Not an entirely bad article on Bloomberg, though with it usual load of (to some extent understandable) skepticism on
    T≡SLA's ability to delivery fully on Elon's recently quoted ramp up targets...
    Main interest lies in the inclusion of a few graphs on the ramp up as announced, looking a bit different than the ones seen before.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...odel-3-ramp-up-aims-to-crush-bmw-and-mercedes

2. Tesla007

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    CT
    Country
    unfortunately-I think bigger issues are on the mend.
    Spaceship like controls-nothing yet
    No HUD-a lot of people are really upset over this.
    No hatchback-bummer for a lot of people too.
    No 80% of mdl S range-seriously big bummer. I honestly expected with new cells and 80% size of S to get at least 80% range-80kw - nope. 75 is max. Practically a deal breaker for me personally.

Exterior of car and AP are a plus-but for me-no AP until I'm unable to drive myself. I love driving.
    It's made in America-big plus.
    Delay of dual motors-seriously huge mistake on Tesla.

If the last announcement of mdl 3 was anything like the second announcement - I'll be cancelling my 2 orders.
    And if they can't sway me to keep my 2 orders-I'll bet they over prepared for mdl 3 and the bottom line takes a massive hit
    due to cancelled orders. Just my guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • garsh

Dis Member
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Pittsburgh PA
      Country
      Don't confuse battery capacity with range. I fully expect a Model 3 75 to have more range than a Model S 90D (295 miles). A 300-mile Model 3 doesn't sound too bad. I was hoping for a 350-400 mile max range, but I'll be satisfied with 300 miles.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Mark C

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Arab, AL
        Country
        #4 Mark C, Mar 27, 2017
        Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
        The announcement of delayed dual motor 3's makes me think the launch may include a tiny bit of getting the lower priced cars on the road so the media can't lambast them for pushing out a rich-mans car instead of the car aimed more for the masses.

Taking that thought one notch further. For those of us who truly can't afford to buy an optioned up 3 and are sticking close to a base car with only a couple of options, we are more likely to get as much of the tax credit as our tax liability affords. Those who have a far more generous bank account may still get the full credit, but many may get a reduced credit. It wouldn't stop them from buying a 3, but I'm certain their feelings would be hurt to some extent, especially if they were standing in line on 3/31/16.

• Like Like x 5
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • bluesolarflare

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Moreno Valley, CA
          Country
          I think a lot of people took Elon's comment about the Model 3 having less range and power than the Model S the wrong way. I believe that what he meant by that was when comparing the Model 3 equivalent of the Model S P100DL, it will have less power. Additionally when comparing the best range version of the Model 3 vs Model S, it will have less range due to a smaller wheelbase only allowing for a 75 kwh battery.

As far as the AWD delay is concerned, it will be interesting to see what the exact price will be vs when the tax credit begins to phase out. We know that the AWD option will be less than 5K, and should Tesla push their 200K milestone to Q1 of 2018, then starting sometime in June the credit will be $3750. To be honest it wouldn't surprise me if the AWD option cost exactly that amount.

• Tesla007

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          CT
          Country
          epa range is not true range. True range is about 85% of epa range at highway speeds.
          Also the S will go 50m further than loaded m3

• Agree Agree x 1
          • TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
            Staff Member Founder
            Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Aurora,Ontario
            Country
            Please don't confuse autopilot with the inability to drive the car.

Autopilot is a PAID upgrade and not standard. The hardware to accomplish this is included in the vehicle but USING it not free. If you don't pay for it you're driving the car at all times. You'll have plenty of fun driving the car, with or without autopilot.

• Agree Agree x 4
            • garsh

Dis Member
              Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              Pittsburgh PA
              Country
              True range depends on your particular route, and the speed at which you drive. If the Model 3 really does have a better CoD than the Model S (as Tesla has said it would) and given the 3's smaller frontal cross-section, then the 3's real-world range should be quite good compared to an S.

• Agree Agree x 5
              • Tesla007

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                CT
                Country
                Not according to my model S here. Stop telling lies.
                I have a 85d.
                Gets about 210m in reality at highway speeds 72mph.
                Just a fact. the S 100d will get about 280 at that speed.

• Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
                Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
                Country
                @Tesla007 , you have an advantage over most of us... you already have a VIN!! :) And though you do not seem to get full EPA range from your Model S 85D, I'll venture to guess that you still enjoy your car...
                Does that mean and/or explain why you seem to have set your expectations for Model ≡ a bit high... I do not know...
                What I do know, or rather observe, in your post #2 above, is you display a lot of frustrated disappointment though all final facts are not known yet... o_O
                I expressed my belief (true, it's nothing else) elsewhere that we have most likely not seen the end of the radical spaceship-like interior, with or without HUD. My bet still is that it will be better than some were led to believe after Elon's Friday tweetstorm... even if not all from day one...
                Any assertion on range at this point is pure conjecture until we know for sure how many kWh/mile we'll get in this car with the new cells and what will be the smaller battery size. Yet for sure it will be amongst the highest range relative to comparable BEVs available today or in the near future (to the extent there truly will ever be anything comparable...).
                As for the lack of AWD for maybe 6, in the worst case 9 months, while requiring more patience for some, it won't be an issue, in some case actually a line boost, for many who don't need or value the benefits vs. RWD...

In conclusion, I think we need to temper our impatience, in some case our emotions (I say 'we' as I too am guilty of that, in particular relative to the HUD because of the added uncertainty - todate - on whether it will actually be part of the game or not...).
                And if, in the end, if it is all a little too little - or a little too much? - for you and you end up cancelling your reservation(s), so be it... As I said when I began, you're starting from a position of strength... yet be sure that many, many of us will soon be ecstatic to join you, at the wheel (if not more radical) of our Model ≡, in the ever larger family of (proud) T≡SLA owners!! :rainbow::):rainbow:
                All the best, truly...

• Like Like x 4