Model 3 - aftermarket 20" wheels

Discussion in 'Customizing & Modifications' started by PNWM3 newbie, Feb 19, 2018.

1. PNWM3 newbie

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Just put in my order for 20" turbine style wheels for my model 3. These are the ones featured in the recent video by Ben of Teslarati via EV Wheels Direct. Seems like a great option for those looking for larger wheels and a sportier feel to the car. Anyone else have these installed yet on their model 3? Pictures and video can be found here: https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-20-inch-turbine-wheels-ev-wheel-direct/

• Like Like x 2
  2. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Congrats and welcome to the Forum! I highly recommend lowering the car to go with those wheels. I remember seeing the first pictures when Ben installed them and thought the wheel gap was even more pronounced with how thin the rubber is on the 20s. I think Ben has subsequently dropped 0.75” from factory ride height.

PS for anyone wondering Ben is from Teslanomics, the article is by Teslarati.

3. PNWM3 newbie

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Ah thanks, will check that out. What was not super clear about the EV wheels order was that it was more of a pre-order for their first shipment sometime this February (similar to the 20” wheels from Tsportline which has a release date of “Spring 2018”) . Got an e-mail from them shortly after my order went in that clarified that the wheels should ship in a few weeks, so hopefully they will show up by the end of the month!

• Like Like x 1
  4. oneshortguy

Expand Collapse

Country
    Few weeks in Tesla Time? :p

If this is the case, Ben Sullins likely has the preproduction/prototype of those wheels... which explains the lack of photos from other potential owners.

5. PNWM3 newbie

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I just tried to order tires for the 20" turbine style wheels that I ordered and was pricing out a set of Michelin Pilot Spot 4S 235/35/R20 wheels that were recommended by EV Wheels Direct. However when I called up tire shops to order the tires and talked about installation they are telling me that those tires do not meet the load requirements the original 18" and 19" tires from Tesla come with, 98Y being the original equipment and the 20" performance tires only go up to 92Y. So legally a shop like discount tires could not install the tires for me since they could not enter that information into his computer system since it shows up as incompatible equipment. Anyone come across this issue yet?

6. oneshortguy

Expand Collapse

Country
    92Y is load rated at 1389 lbs (630 kg). The Model 3 has a gross vehicle weight of 4,801 lbs. 1389 x 4 = 5,556 lbs.

The tires are also listed as a staggered 20" tire for the Model 3 on Tire Rack.

You may need to go to a mom and pop tire shop rather than a corporate one.

7. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Sure, but tires will be under more load when cornering. I'd shop around for tires with a higher load rating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. PNWM3 newbie

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    The wheel manufacturer is claiming that the 20" 4S tires will be standard equipment on the performance dual motor version of the Model 3 so that's why they are recommending those for the 20" turbines they are selling. Unfortunately there are no 20" tires that I can find in the 235/35R20 size that have a load rating higher than 92Y (too thin and not wide enough)

The 18" M3 factory tires have a rating of 98W (1,6531lb/tire) while the 19" factory tires have a rating of 96W (1,565lb/tire). 92Y as mentioned above has a load rating of 1,389lb/tire which in total is 704lb less than the 19" tires... Tire rack lists staggered (asymmetrical wheel options for the model 3) which has wider tires in the back, those have tires that have load ratings of 97Y at the back and 92Y in the front which helps edge the load gap to 264lb...

EV wheels direct does not offer 10" wide wheels for an asymmetrical install, they are selling 8.5" wheels for all 4. T-sport line does offer both 8.5" and 10" wide wheels on their site but also sells all 4 wheels at 8.5" as on option, again recommending the 92Y rated tires with those. Guess the distributors are not worried about the load rating, yet. hrmmmmm

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Adman2298

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Just go up 1 tire size and you will be fine. 245/35R20 and 275/30R20. If you want to save some weight, go with the Conti DWS 06.

10. PNWM3 newbie

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Thanks. Tesla just released an official model 3 20” tire and wheel package that has the 235/35/20 Michelin 4S as standard equipment, so now all the corporate retailers should eventually have that updated in their systems.

11. Adman2298

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I spoke to the Tesla Engineer's and they don't recommend 20" tires at this time. I asked the same question and they still are recommending the 19's. The 20" package from Tesla comes with new rear upper fore links for the rear suspension. Not sure why at this point, but that is a concern vs the warranty for me. I'm waiting on a response if I can buy the rear fore link from them without the tire package and no response. They have had my car since 4 days after I got it (PU Thursday and took back on Monday) for an inoperable backup camera. They re-flashed and replaced the camera and still no go. I have the engineers and tech on speed dial right now if you know what I mean...

12. Scrapps

Expand Collapse

Country
    I was told by a member of the other forum to use 245/35/20 for the front and 275/30/20 for the rear. I’m installing some wheels with these sizes in Pilot Sport 4S on Sat. I sure hope they fit!

13. oneshortguy

Expand Collapse

Country
    Is it possible that the car was originally not engineered for the 20" and may include it eventually? Tesla is known to make changes during production out of the blue. (i.e. Model S was standard with springs, then air suspension became standard etc.)

14. m3neko

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    How'd you speak directly to their engineering team in Fremont? I ask because it seems weird that the engineering team would be recommending against an official product which the company released (20" wheels).

Plus, Franz (head designer) has had 20" wheels installed on his personal car for months, so if there really was an issue, why would he be running them, and why would they release an official product?

[​IMG]

15. Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Franz probably has the upgraded suspension kit that Tesla includes with the 20" wheel package.

Edit to clarify: I think what @Adman2298 (or his "Tesla engineer" contact) was trying to convey was that Tesla does not recommend running 20" wheels *without* the suspension upgrade.

16. NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    He's also got sweet color-matched door pulls! ;)

I'd like that as a Model 3 option, just maybe with some kind of PPF shell to protect from fingernail scratches.

• Like Like x 2
  17. m3neko

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Understood, but that doesn't make much sense either, as Franz's car is also lowered.

I just find it very hard to believe that this info is accurate, as there are numerous Tesla employees who have been spotted with modified 3s - different aftermarket wheels / tires, etc.

18. oneshortguy

Expand Collapse

Country
    Tesla is known to make changes in the vehicles without notice.

I.e. parking sensors on early Model S's, Model S seats (there are more than 3 versions already!), suspension on Model 3's, and many more.

19. Scrapps

Expand Collapse

Country
    #19 Scrapps, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Here's mine after going to Automobilia Auto Salon in Milford, CT. Just had 2 coats of Ceramic Pro 9H + the glass and wheels, along with XPEL Prime XR 35% tint. They are 20x8.5 40 offset front, 20x10 40 offset rear sitting on 245/35/20 275/30/20 Pilot Sport 4S. Ride quality is fine. After running the tires in a little the handling seems much improved. Very happy boy here!

Attached Files:

20. Naet

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Scrapps car looks great... if u don’t mind me asking I’m looking to run the same set up on my model 3 the only thing that has me questioning the 20’s over 19’s is how much is your efficiency is affected by miles. Thanks