Model 3 at the Drive-In Movies

Discussion in 'Tesla Experiences' started by Maevra, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Maevra

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    #1 Maevra, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Husband and I recently went to a drive-in movie theater in the Model 3 and found it a very cool experience. I was honestly apprehensive because I've heard from Model S owners that they had issues with the headlights not staying off or the MCU shutting down in the middle of the movie etc., so it was a bit of a gamble. Thankfully, it seems the 3 is an ideal car to take to on movie date night. :)

We simply pulled up to a parking spot, put the car in Park and manually turned off the exterior and interior lights. The screen was always on and set to night mode. I think we also could have put it into screen cleaning mode to minimize the lights even more, but honestly didn't feel like it was necessary.

However, we did have to manually turn off the auto-wipers as they would go off every few seconds, perhaps due to the combo of the angle of the screen + lights + dust particles on the windshield.

I still think the FM radio UI could use some improvement, but we were able to tune in to the movie's channel and the quality of the sound was great! Definitely glad we have the premium sound in the car for this.

We used the seat heaters and HVAC on and off throughout, and lost about 5 miles in 2.5 hours total with the HVAC + media on. Car never went to sleep or shut down, though we were poking the screen every so often to adjust the heater temps.

Overall, pretty cool experience!

• Like Like x 19
  2. ng0

ng0
    Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    What's a drive-in movie? LoL jk. :p Sadly there aren't too many left. I heard there was one still in San Diego, but have never actually been to it. Might have to try it out one day when I get my car. :) Thanks for posting your experience!

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. TheTony

It happened.
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I've been wanting to go to the last one left in my area for over a year. Seeing this thread reminded me of that, and I'm glad it worked so well for you - it'll definitely be on my list of local trips when mine arrives.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Maevra

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Lol it's the first time I'd ever been to one too! Luckily we have a couple of them here in the Bay Area. I think the biggest perk is we can bring our dog, so fun for the whole family indeed. :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. reallove

Expand Collapse

Country
    @Maevra thanks for posting this! Thanks to you, my drive-in experience was great last night (the screen cleaning trick was genius!). Had some glitches with the radio (it completely died on me right when the movie started, had no sound at all on any channels, but worked for internet radio), but a soft reset fixed it!

• Like Like x 2