1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Model 3 charging rate with wall connector

Discussion in 'Charging and Infrastructure' started by Nikola, Jul 30, 2017.

More threads by Nikola
  1. Nikola

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Arizona
    Country
    The specs released on the Model 3 Long Range say that it will charge at 37 miles per hour on a NEMA 14-50 plug. What isn't clear to me is whether there would be any advantage in charging rate with a Wall Connector with a 90-amp circuit.

Can anyone say definitively if the Model 3 will be able to charge at a higher rate than 9.6kw? A High Amperage Charger Upgrade (offered on the S and X) doesn't seem to be in the cards for the initial production of Model 3. That makes me think my Model 3 will be maxxed at 37 MPH for home charging even with a Wall Connector that has more power available.

2. 17.088 ^2

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Country
    The advantage with getting a 90 amp circuit for the HPWC is not that relevant if you will only ever charge one Tesla Model 3 vehicle at a time.

However, _IF_ you think you might one day have a second HPWC _AND_ that HPWC will be located less than 50 feet from the first one, _THEN_ you can use the same circuit on both HPWCs, assuming you do the installation correctly to include the interconnect/communications cable. Let's assume then that you have a 90 amp circuit and two HPWCs. The Master and up to three Slaves would communicate to determine who needs what capacity. So, if one is at full, the other could take the entire 90 Amps (or as much as it could handle). Likewise, if both are in need of charging, it could be split 50/50 between the two.

FFI, see URL: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...nstallation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf?201612081439
    {search for term "slave"}

In addition, if you ever do get a Tesla with a higher capacity (S, X, Y, Pickup, etc.) you will have that added capacity.

ASIDE:
    In my case, I (currently) think I'll get a black Model 3 with the standard battery and smaller rims (i.e.: larger tires). That means I'll only be drawing 32 amps on at least a 40 amp circuit. BUT, I intend to go with at least 70 or 80 amp hot conductors, and pigtail them (with a smaller size neutral) into a NEMA 14-50 receptacle, protected by a 50 amp breaker. That way I will have the near-term flexibility of using a portable EVSE, or the HPWC on a plug, but still be capable of upgrading to a hard-wired 70 or 80 amp circuit down the road.

17.088 ^2

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Bernard

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    HI
    Country
    I talked to Tesla yesterday about that question. The staffer did not know the max charging rate for Model 3 -- early days yet and staff not yet briefed on all details, reasonable since we are still almost 3 mos out from the first deliveries to the general public. The 37mi/h charging rate quoted fits NEMA 14-50 pretty exactly (9.6KW) if you assume the long-range battery is 75KWh; Tesla probably gave the max charging rate for the equipment provided with the car, so we can hope a higher rate is attainable with the wall connector.
    Since the wall connector is the same price as the mobile bundle, it only makes sense to get the scalable wall connector for home and keep the mobile bundle in the car.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nikola

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Arizona
    Country
    Here's the answer to my question, according to Electrek:

"Tesla has equipped the Model 3 with a 32-amp onboard charger for the standard version and a 40-amp onboard charger for Model 3 with a long range battery pack."

So, there's no advantage in charging rate by using a Wall Connector with a 90-amp circuit (or any circuit >50 amps).

However, the Wall Connector is more convenient than breaking out the Mobile Connector every time you need to charge at home. And for two-Tesla households, a Wall Connector also makes sense for the reasons @17.088 ^2 stated above.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    I plan to leave my Mobile Connector at home, plugged into the outlet.

I currently leave my Leaf's trickle charger at home plugged into an outlet. I really don't feel the need to take it with me under most circumstances.