Model 3 Front Plate holder

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Afternoon. First post on the forum.
From Vancouver B.C.
Is anyone planning to put a front licence plate holder on their Model 3? If so, what company would you recommend?
Many thanks.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is another thread talking about retractable brackets, but recent reports from new owners is cars are being delivered from the factory with the front bracket installed when delivered to locations that required a front plate.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is another thread talking about retractable brackets, but recent reports from new owners is cars are being delivered from the factory with the front bracket installed when delivered to locations that required a front plate.
Thanks Melinda

Jamaicaman

Country
Country
I was recently at the Tesla store in Columbus Ohio where front plates are required and I can confirm that the plate holder on the Model S is removable without leaving holes. When pushing the Advisor harder, he said that all Model S and X's ship with the front mounting bracket in the trunk and the bracket is mounted during Prep time if required.

teslaliving

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I have no plate on the front of my S, but if there's screws and a plate holder on the 3 then I'll likely put a plate on the 3 and be all legal-like.

Country
Country
I wanted to remove the front plate bracket from my new (Sept 30,2016) Model S. The mounting screws are very awkward to get to, and have a head design that is like an inverted torks. I asked the Ranger if he could assist - and he said that the bracket was installed during the MS crash testing and Tesla CANNOT modify the design after such testing without incurring new crash test protocols. So, my bracket remains. I can fill that space with things I want, but cannot remove it.

MichelT3

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I would love to put on an adhesive plastic 'plate' to keep the air drag as low as possible. And have the official plate in the frunk.
I have this configuration with one of my cars. Never gave any problem with the police.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I would love to put on an adhesive plastic 'plate' to keep the air drag as low as possible. And have the official plate in the frunk.
I have this configuration with one of my cars. Never gave any problem with the police.
If nicely cleanly done... ok... can you show us a pic, @MichelT3 ?

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Ok, thanks... not convinced I am afraid... and I double checked that indeed the front plate is mandatory in France and Belgium for instance. Will have to identify the best plan for my Model ≡ in due course...
A small challenge in the grand scheme of things... :)

MichelT3

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Front plate is mandatory in The Netherlands too. But no police officer has ever stopped me for having the registration number directly on the car in stead of on an official plate. For TÜV-tests and the police I have an original plate, and a way to attach it over the illegal number, in my car.
I certainly are going to try to put a plastic adhesive number on my M3, to keep the airflow as good as possible.

Last edited:
Country
Country
When I asked Tesla to remove my front plate bracket, they said the car was test-crashed with the plate in place. They cannot remove the plate without redoing crash test. Also, they also mounted the bracket in a way that makes it difficult to remove (recessed torx screws, and the torx are male, instead of female bolts...awkward).

So, if they crash tested with license plate, then they probably also determined wind resistance in its final config too. That Cd 0f 0.21 is with plate in place (I think)